Mast and Dogs

flymango

Yesterday whilst descending from the mast we almost had an altercation with a group of ladies (think there were 4 ladies), each with two (or more) dogs that were not on a leash, walking up the tar road. There were four of us descending and we had to take fairly hard action coming round one of the bends to avoid animals and ladies scattering. "Where are your bells?". they shouted. We apologised profusely, and then also suggested that their dogs should be on leashes.

Apart from being civil and treating follow hikers and walkers with respect, what are the written or unwritten rules about right of way about descending (at speed) and dogs?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yesterday whilst descending from the mast we almost had an altercation with a group of ladies (think there were 4 ladies), each with two (or more) dogs that were not on a leash, walking up the tar road. There were four of us descending and we had to take fairly hard action coming round one of the bends to avoid animals and ladies scattering. "Where are your bells?". they shouted. We apologised profusely, and then also suggested that their dogs should be on leashes.

Apart from being civil and treating follow hikers and walkers with respect, what are the written or unwritten rules about right of way about descending (at speed) and dogs?

You won't find any rules and in a civilized society we can't always expect rules.

In multi-use environments such as yours, where pedestrians, equestrians, cyclists and animals share the facility, you can't speed. No matter how you look at it, it doesn't make sense.

Cyclists are increasingly under fire here and rightfully so. I'm a cyclist, a dog walker and pedestrian on The Spruit. Jo'burg's recreational highway. Here we have the entire mix and in my view, cyclists are at the bottom of the courtesy hierarchy. A bicycle can scare a horse, a dog and a pedestrian and, cause considerable injury to all of the above. I would argue that none of those pose a threat to cyclist.

I suggest more cyclists should try out walking amongst these trails just to experience what it is like being buzzed by cyclists. The etiquette on this particular trial is atrocious.

My advice is to ride as fast as you can see. In other words, don't charge around corners,

Dogs are not allowed in Tokai. Period. If you see them again please take a picture of them and send to me or Pain or Shine and we shall pass on to the relevant person.

That changes the picture for this specific case, obviously.

Dogs are not allowed in Tokai. Period. If you see them again please take a picture of them and send to me or Pain or Shine and we shall pass on to the relevant person.

Good work Armpies

Thanks @mayhem. I wasn't aware of that.

@Johan - assuming dogs were allowed, it's more the uniqueness of the mast's tarred gradient and the blind corners that begs the question. In fact, when ascending we always make sure we keep left on those blind corners because of the dangers of a collision from the front. I guess the average descent speed on the tar section must be around 50 km/h. But that's all hypothetical.

I agree with your point about co-existence with fellow outdoor enthusiasts.

Even in the section of Silvermine that allows dogs you will be hard pushed to find a single one on a lead.

The dog walkers are as bad as anybody for not listening and I have had a big issue while hiking there when a dog went after my son. The rule is the damn thing is supposed to be on a lead at all times, when I pointed that out to the owners they reacted like I had robbed their granny. Instant aggression, I could see where the dog got its personality from.

Even in the section of Silvermine that allows dogs you will be hard pushed to find a single one on a lead.

The dog walkers are as bad as anybody for not listening and I have had a big issue while hiking there when a dog went after my son. The rule is the damn thing is supposed to be on a lead at all times, when I pointed that out to the owners they reacted like I had robbed their granny. Instant aggression, I could see where the dog got its personality from.

Almost as bad as the horsey folk.

You are allowed to walk with dogs on the Hoerikwaggo trail from Constantia Nek with dogs "ON LEADS".

The trail intersects/comes very close to the mast road. Very easy to walk somewhere you're not supposed to.

You are allowed to walk with dogs on the Hoerikwaggo trail from Constantia Nek with dogs "ON LEADS".

The trail intersects/comes very close to the mast road. Very easy to walk somewhere you're not supposed to.

The Hoerikwaggo actually goes over and along the mast tar road for a little while before dropping down into Hout Bay as far as I know

Had a very similar experience myself. Both on the ascent and descent, dogs just go for you in a mixture of aggression/excitement. Really unfair I think, especially on the ascent. Is it so hard to keep your dog on a lead?

I am glad to hear dogs are not allowed in tokai!! Will def take pics next time, as I always seem to be coming across a dog here and there!