Litterbugs....should we name them?

Guest Smimby

Please accept my apology.

Signed, roadie and mountain biker (but only started in 2011), but most of all, a cyclist and lover of life.

Gee son, that's almost beautiful, I can even hear the violins.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Or perhaps organisers can get some sore dustbins on route. Say every 5km with slogans like "please help to keep trails tidy"

Usually there are more than one dustbin at the water points but seems everyone eats their energy bar in the 3-5km after the water point.

Or perhaps organisers can get some sore dustbins on route. Say every 5km with slogans like "please help to keep trails tidy"

Usually there are more than one dustbin at the water points but seems everyone eats their energy bar in the 3-5km after the water point.

Good idea, but what I dont get is that if someone can take a energy bar out off the pocket and eat is then they can put the wrapper back ?

Perhaps organisers should incorporate a cleaning fee in all entries. Sure its not cool to pay for something that is not our fault but most of us already do. We pay for security companies to monitor our belongings because our police service is incapable etc. In that way organisers can create jobs by getting people to do a sweep of the route after a race and pick up any litter left behind. But if they do this they should stipulate that its for cleaning so that people can see why their entry fee goes up.

Sadly this will cause people to abuse the service and you will see people throwing litter all over the place.

I think the energy gel/bar suppliers should pay for the cleanup - just put a reward on the packet for returning the empties and there will be clean up squad following races in a flash...

That said - I think it's every riders responsibility to keep the place clean - dead easy to put empty packets back in your pocket.

I think this thread is wrong. All I see is someone pointing an accusing finger at two cyclists without a shred of evidence to prove his point, and without giving them any opportunity of recourse or reply.

You cannot act as Policeman, Judge and Jury, and denigrating someone on a public platform without showing equal and conclusive proof is poor form.

Right now its only your word, and although I have no reason to disbelieve you, I have no reason to believe you either. I am not sure that this is in the spirit of the forum, and I see it opening up all forms of abuse.

Perhaps, had you said you stopped and picked up the paper before riding on, that would have lent credence and weight to your argument as a positive act against littering, but right now, to me it just comes across as someone with an axe to grind against two (as far as I can ascertain) innocent cyclists.

Edited by GrumpyOldGuy

I think this thread is wrong. All I see is someone pointing an accusing finger at two cyclists without a shred of evidence to prove his point, and without giving them any opportunity of recourse or reply.

You cannot act as Policeman, Judge and Jury, and denigrating someone on a public platform without showing equal and conclusive proof is poor form.

Right now its only your word, and although I have no reason to disbelieve you, I have no reason to believe you either. I am not sure that this is in the spirit of the forum, and I see it opening up all forms of abuse.

Perhaps, had you said you stopped and picked up the paper before riding on, that would have lent credence and weight to your argument as a positive act against littering, but right now, to me it just comes across as someone with an axe to grind against two (as far as I can ascertain) innocent cyclists.

This is the hub, people do it all the time....

And I never said that I did NOT stop....or that I DID stop....so you are also asuming things!

NO axe to grind, I saw what happend.

Maybe the HUB is not really for you if you want evidence....how many people have posted here about idiot cyclist?

Edited by Smimby

This is the hub, people do it all the time....

And I never said that I did NOT stop....or that I DID stop....so you are also asuming things!

NO axe to grind, I saw what happend.

1) Fair enough, it is, but that does not mean you have to partake.

2) I never assumed anything, read my post, I said "had you stopped" which implies exactly that, an unknown.

3)Thats fine, but I never saw it, and as far as I can see no one else here did either, I also see no evidence here to substantiate your accusation, so from my point of view you are acting as judge, jury and executioner on a public platform without giving the other the right of recourse, thats not in the spirit of fair play.

Dont misunderstand my post though, I am not justifying littering, I simply cannot justify denigrating another person on a public platform without showing any significant proof of the accusation.

Chill Guys!

Yea, I should.......It just gets to me when someone questions my integrity.

I SAW it happen....why do should I provide proof? Why in the world whould I come here and make an alligation that is not true?

and there you go again... ruining a good fred with common sense. ;)

Chill Guys!

:D Quite chilled, I have no beef with the OP, I am sure he meant well, but we need to see the bigger picture as well, we cannot simply accuse people of wrong on a public platform without showing substantial proof or giving them the right of recourse, its simply not fair play.

I SAW it happen....why do should I provide proof? Why in the world whould I come here and make an alligation that is not true?

Perhaps the okes dropped you, dispite being twice your size ;) But seriously, your word against theirs means that you have to prove the wrong-doing, not them disprove it. That's unfortunately how the law and society work.

There have been many cases of false allegation on the hub in the past which have ended in tears

Grumpy makes sense and I agree with him

They also swore at you. It was not only the littering.

Nothing wrong with using a forum to tell your story and make an example, mabe not of the person, but of what can happen if you make yourself guilty of such things.

:D Quite chilled, I have no beef with the OP, I am sure he meant well, but we need to see the bigger picture as well, we cannot simply accuse people of wrong on a public platform without showing substantial proof or giving them the right of recourse, its simply not fair play.

Valid point Grumps.