Nutrition and 4+ hrs rides

Paul Hunter

How about one of you posting a "menu" on what to eat in the days leading up to a event.. eg the Crater Cruise.. :whistling:

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And the difference is?

Digestion and ability to chew.

Besides the fact that if you battle to sh#t a good run is guaranteed to get you bowels going.

But what do most of us really know.

Happy riding eating and running chaps , see you all on the trail and road.

This thread is very funny..... Reminds me of the saying "opinions are like @rseholes, everyone has one"

Regards

I thoroughly enjoyed your opinion.

Besides the fact that if you battle to sh#t a good run is guaranteed to get you bowels going.

Happy riding eating and running chaps , see you all on the trail and road.

True story :eek:

Lots of scientists on theHub :)

My 2c - works for me.

Longer than 3 hrs - 2 bottles of Cadence Marathon + 1 Bottle of Rehidrat (learnt this on Epic from one of the medics - the most underrated 'juice' to chuck into a bottle - I always keep some Rehidrat with me).

I also have difficulty eating on the bike, have tried Powerbars, Enerjellies and find that the baby potatoes from Woolies with Aromat works a treat.

However - A friend uses ENSURE - yip the ou-tannie-milkshakes, mixed to a thick milkshake consistency in one of those really small bottles that runners use. Have a big swig of this every 45minutes or so and you're fine to go!

Where can I buy those bottles & how small are we talking, 250ml ?

How about one of you posting a "menu" on what to eat in the days leading up to a event.. eg the Crater Cruise.. :whistling:

I don't change anything. normally eat out the nite before as the race is in another city. I will then try to go for pasta. I on occasion have eaten muffins for supper using 32gi as a nite cap and also in the morning

limit to one or two lite beers :devil:

I my opinion the better prepare you are for the race the less, carbo loading and gu's will contribute to a good time. iam talking about the average fun rider looking for sub 4's or sub 6's (mtb races)

• 4 months later...

Prof Google can justify anything. That is reality. Also, everyone of us are different, and we will burn fat and/ or carbs differently.

When we used to cycle with Cytomax many years ago, OMG, it was so damn good and everyone used it, now the buzz is 32gi. Tim Noakes, Gary Taubes, Peter Attia has turned the world upside down with LCHF stories, but its not for everyone, its clear and they tell you so much.

Truth is, you need to find what works for you, and what drives me crazy is all this fancy marketing and hype about this or that product with the shiny label gonna make you see gold medals etc etc. Its just not true. Ultimately a well balanced diet and truthfull fitness levels will determine your outcome.

For what its worth, I use UCAN for marathon type rides and mostly nothing for anything less than 2hrs.

Good luck in your search.

Regards

Sorry this has propbably been asked before, where can I get ucan in the western cape?

Well this is definitely still true, just proven it again. Had my longest running weekend in awhile and hey presto...think I lost 500g with 2 visits to the loo this morning.