Feeling ripped off

Garfield2010

Have any of you ever had to replace the bearings on a Campag hub? There isn't enough KY in Africa to soften that blow..... I share your pain Garfield.

So what can I expect to pay for a set of bearings for my Eurus wheels?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Those in the know should post a list of the engineering shops. Sure many of us would go that route.

well for starters get friendly with your local bearing man...and your local nut and bolt supplier

So what can I expect to pay for a set of bearings for my Eurus wheels?

With the bearings you might as well replace the axle and the seals plus labour..... Prepare for R1800 per wheel.

I don't have a pic - bike is being assembled at a LBS. I can assure you it is not a standard clamp. It is made for this very bike and model. Still it is so small and simple.

Afterwards I considered using a hose clamp :w00t:

Maybe I should have glued/welded the seat post in permanently. Don't plan on selling the bike in any case!

Guessing a Merida.

don't worry, you don't need to feel ripped of, we as a bike community IS being ripped of, we're in the hot new happening sport, they can ask what they want.

I'm careful where I buy things now, with some prices I just make peace and wait and rather import myself. 90% of the time allot cheaper.

Example....

Local News stand... Magazine, R120... Import as you can figure out.

Local Mag (Hard copy) R30, soft copy via iPad, not much difference.

The above R120 international mag, on iPad, R40 ... all thats needed to be said.

G

With the bearings you might as well replace the axle and the seals plus labour..... Prepare for R1800 per wheel.

Ouch, that is ridecilous :cursing: Will have to do some shopping around Edited by LOOK695

I kinda liked the comment about engineers... If people can custom make certain parts then.....

At the end of the day the market will sort itself out... If things get too expensive then people will start importing and start "engineering". That's the way economics (open market system) work...

Hence my comment regarding suppliers killing themselves. They are so expensive people are importing fake parts.... If they are well priced then there will not be a need to import stuff or engineer stuff....

Edited by Garfield2010

don't worry, you don't need to feel ripped of, we as a bike community IS being ripped of, we're in the hot new happening sport, they can ask what they want.

I'm careful where I buy things now, with some prices I just make peace and wait and rather import myself. 90% of the time allot cheaper.

Example....

Local News stand... Magazine, R120... Import as you can figure out.

Local Mag (Hard copy) R30, soft copy via iPad, not much difference.

The above R120 international mag, on iPad, R40 ... all thats needed to be said.

G

Agree. Just have a look at how the wheel prices have increased lately

What TT bike??? Couldn't be!! :whistling:

Now you have your answer as to why the seatpost clamp was so expensive.

And I haven't even mentioned a brand name.

have bouth a five year old Merc station wagon, with towbar for my Thule. Thule has got 7 pin plug. Merc has got 13 holes.

Me thinks, "I quickly get an adaptor". Merc wanted R 1500, towbar centre R1000 (for a VW adapter...). a simple plastic adapter. Called the guys at Thule Load & Go in CPT, R 395 for the same thing, also VW. Keen to tell the towbar centre that my suspicion that they are shafting me was right...

Now you have your answer as to why the seatpost clamp was so expensive.

And I haven't even mentioned a brand name.

I guess that is because most TT bikes have a frame shape that won't take some generic KCNC/BBB clamp?

What I do when receiving any important parcel is mount the camera on a tripod and video the unpacking sequence incl. inspection of the item. There are just instances where it would be difficult to prove that you're being honest and not taking a chance. Can easily be proven that the item wasn't as described or the order incomplete giving the seller no other choice but to rectify it.