Cyclist down... Sun Valley

Louzy

Quite amazing how everyone is able to deduce (with perfect accuracy) what happened by looking at 2 post-event photos...

We don't know what happened, so there is no point to speculating.

Hope the rider is OK and recovers fully!

What happen to giving cyclists 1.5m? If you look at where that car is standing, I can guarantee that was not the case!

I hope the cyclist didn't get off too badly, and that the driver has countless sleepless nights.

What happen to giving cyclists 1.5m? If you look at where that car is standing, I can guarantee that was not the case!

I hope the cyclist didn't get off too badly, and that the driver has countless sleepless nights.

Think about it: highly unlikely that the car would be standing where it hit the bike

Quite amazing how everyone is able to deduce (with perfect accuracy) what happened by looking at 2 post-event photos...

What we can deduce is that a car has hit a cyclist AGAIN!

Think about it: highly unlikely that the car would be standing where it hit the bike

Well the marks on the road does give some idea. And last time I looked at it, no matter what the circumstances were at the time, if you hit someone from behind, you are guilty.

Well the marks on the road does give some idea. And last time I looked at it, no matter what the circumstances were at the time, if you hit someone from behind, you are guilty.

I do not agree with your blanket assumption, but I don't want this to degenerate into exactly what I am arguing against while someone might be badly hurt, so let's just say I also don't know what happened here. I hope the rider is ok.

What we can deduce is that it is IMPOSSIBLE to hit a cyclist if you, as a motorist, observe a safe passing distance. Be it one metre or 1.5m.

Yeah no excuses here.

This sucks to see, when I had such an awesome day on the bike today.

To the cyclist: get back on and keep peddling... Don't let this put you off!

another example that the 1.5m campaign absolutely meaningless to the motorist.

But it may make prosecuting them more successful.....and that is all we can hope for until enough examples make the rest think twice.

But it may make prosecuting them more successful.....and that is all we can hope for until enough examples make the rest think twice.

campaigning to change legislation from culpable homicide to being guilty of ........ (a charge that would carry a jail sentance) would make motorists think twice. do you really think that motorists from continental europe are that different to their SA counterparts when it come to cyclists. imo they are not , just S**T scared of the law.

Edited by ccc2

campaigning to change legislation from culpable homicide to being guilty of ........ (a charge that would carry a jail sentance) would make motorists think twice. do you really think that motorists from continental europe are that different to their SA counterparts when it come to cyclists. imo that are not , just S**T scared of the law.

I agree, enforcement is needed or no law will make a difference.

Where the 1.5m rule could help, is where cyclists get taken out from behind by vehicles. That happens a lot of the time. It immediately puts the driver in a position where he is assumed to have disobeyed the 1.5m rule if he hits a cyclist. The driver will then have to prove otherwise (that the cyclist swerved or something like that) or he is at fault. I think that will make the likelihood of a successful prosecution for reckless driving or culpable homicide much higher. In turn, the more of those get into the news, the greater the deterrent will become and the more careful drivers will become. It might take decades, it might never be hugely successful, but who knows, perhaps my children or their children will one day have a safer cycling environment than I have today. That is why I support the idea, not because I think it is a quick fix or even the best fix. (Btw, the best fix imho is cycle lanes everywhere.)

you 'know' the risks, you hear the news and read the reports, but seeing an image like that... that's tough. For the 1st time in my life I actually have to question if it's worth it.