Today I was totally "beyond my capability" :blink:

Fatigue too ... Not resting enough.

Oi, sounds rof, Breezer.

• Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I found it just took alot more training to prevent my cramps, did DC last week and was ok. This week I cramped in the last 400m. So I guess its more and more training :) (

Have to agree. I too tried and discarded cramp block tabs, rehidrate etc. I found that the only remedy for race induced cramps is to ramp up the intensity of interval based training rides. Suffering in training certainly didn't diminish the race suffering, but with improved conditioning, I have found that cramps take much longer to set in and are less severe.

Tough day on the bike, so much for the light wind predictions! Well done to everyone that finished, especially the okes who had to spent 4 hours + in that sun & stormy winds.

Was hard keeping up in %, but felt it went ok until Wellington. Was feeling fine when we turned on to the R44 but made the age old rookie mistake by being caught napping at the back of the large group when the attack came, its one thing trying to keep up with the racing snakes, something else entirely to chase them from behind! Ended up completely knackered without achieving anything!

Next year I'll be better prepared. Still, can't complain, had a decent result for a dropped rider :-)

One thing that wasnt nice, is there were no real peleton groups forming between groups j- n. I always felt like I was chasing a group. And when I got to them they were desolved already. Sometimes a group would form and a few km's down the road the gorup would split and you end up in the middle in no man's land. That tires you out big time.

During the Engen we were big group riding together which was awesome. I was kinda hoping for the same here....

None the less, it was awesome! Cramps and all and all

Edited by Maniax

One thing that wasnt nice, is there were no real peleton groups forming between groups j- n. I always felt like I was chasing a group. And when I got to them they were desolved already. Sometimes a group would form and a few km's down the road the gorup would split and you end up in the middle in no man's land. That tires you out big time.

During the Engen we were big group riding together which was awesome. I was kinda hoping for the same here....

I am with you on this. I am not a seasoned bunch rider, but the groups coming pass did not have rythm. Going forward and backward like a yo yo. I felt as if a accident is bound to happen sooner or later. Especially with the cross winds. Ended up riding the whole R44 basically alone.

Ah, so it's not just me!

I was in H and had exactly the same experience - you chase down a group and then it splits and you sit behind a single person, or you completely alone and have to choose between chasing again or waiting for next group, which also splits... etc etc

At least we all have the wind to blame!

Yeah, I rode close to 60% of the race alone because of this. It didnt matter if you chase or sat up and waited.... i tried both...

Yeah, I rode close to 60% of the race alone because of this. It didnt matter if you chase or sat up and waited.... i tried both...

I started in R and found nice groups, were without a group for 20 minutes or so just before wellington. After wellington a nice big-is group formed at about 08:36 and we rode that last stretch (37.6km) in 1h20

I started in E, which I wasn't ready for as I was off the bike for 4 weeks. I managed to stay with a fast pack until R44 at 31 ave. I was also sleeping and dropped the group on R44. Rode to finish solo. Was too unfit to grab another group.

Ended with a 3:30

Sent via Tapatalk on Xperia T

One thing that wasnt nice, is there were no real peleton groups forming ...

I think that this is largley due to a lack of cycling knowledge and understanding of the dynamics of a peleton/paceline.

Most are just out riding on "their own", oblivious to the advantages of working together in an organised group.

Agree - most people were just out there riding for their own gain. We had people on the brakes in an attempt to avoid going to the front. And no letting in the guy who just pulled his azz off in front. And yoyo'ing. I had the most fun riding alone and then with one girl from a group behind where the two of us sat and rotated lekker for a while on the R44.

Ja well, maybe I've just un-roadied too much... but it seems there are guys out there who really is less "road"-worthy than me.

Sorry rant off. Maybe it's just a windless Monday getting to me... :eek:

There was an elderly gentleman who was down at the 45km mark on the long route, i really hope he is ok??

if anybody knows him, please let u know how he is doing...

any other major accidents?? didn't hear of too many which is a good thing :thumbup:

to end off, i'd just like to say, that whoever opened the window yesterday morning and let the wind in, u deserve to be ridden over by every cyclist who took part yesterday...

Edited by FootballingCyclist

I actually think the wind turned a bit at one point....could be my imagination (just didnt seem to have that much wind on the R44 back)......that said, the bunch from B that i was riding in was big (probably around 30-40 or so ).....although that pretty much fragmented on the rollers back to stellenbosh......in the end there were about 10 of us left (including the bunches we reeled in on the way back)

I think that this is largley due to a lack of cycling knowledge and understanding of the dynamics of a peleton/paceline.

Most are just out riding on "their own", oblivious to the advantages of working together in an organised group.

I agree. Logically you would do much better ito time, speed, energy to ride in a group. But this individualistic tendancies is irritating at best. But, what you gonna do. Head down and ride!

also i rode MOST of the race alone, arrived late, so started with Q only, and found myself passing groups/small pelotons all the time but never really finding a group doing a decent speed, so often found myself solo on the long stretches... Going directly into a HUGE headwind, i found that agroup of about 6 guys joined my tail so i thought i would pull as best i can, as we made the turn to go with the wind, all of a sudden the guys were nowhere to be found. i often found guys jumping on my wheel for 2 or 3kms and then droppping off... Is this a common thing in the fun rides?? Guys sit on your wheel but when you want to drop off after pulling for a Good few kms and just tuck in, then no-one takes over??

*Rant off* :ph34r:

Thanks to all the marshalls though, great Job in that heat :thumbup: