Which Deep Section Wheelset

rad006

Ha Ha makes me think about old Deep section ally rims. I had a set of Mavic CXP 30's on my roadbike as my first custom wheel set. They were like flywheels -once you got them spinning. In side winds they were horrendous. But strong as all hell. I used to train with them eventually. Had them for years. They made you moer strong, then switch to lightweight climb wheels for races and it was like I had wings on the hills.

Now you have a wheel that is light, strong and aero all in one.

At a price of course.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi

Please help me choose. I have roughly 8k to spend.

These are the options

Shimano 2013 RS80 C50 from buycycle whose website is down currently

http://www.evobikes....l-wheelset.html

http://www.evobikes....h-wheelset.html

Which would you choose and why?

I want clinchers as I do not want to glue tyres on and battle lol..

They are going onto an older model clear coated carbon Pinarello with Dura-Ace on.

We also only have ONE set left at this price... New stock is is R1k more!

have a look at the concepts, i think they have a two year warranty where darkhorse only have one...could be wrong. still worth a look

Don't forget the promotion on mavics where you buy a race wheelset and get a set of training wheels for a £1 extra...

Don't forget the promotion on mavics where you buy a race wheelset and get a set of training wheels for a £1 extra...

Where is that?

Where is that?

Speak to naas, I know he said he would honor it in the last thread regarding mavics... From October to end November.

And if you don't want the training wheels, let me know and i may take em off your hands;)

I've been riding a set of DH wheels since April through some of the worse weather that Cape Town has seen in decades.

(Approx 7000 km)

Light and stiff is how I might describe them, but a better description would be; outstanding value for money.

Still as true as the day they were delivered, the Sapim spokes are tough as nails and the bitex hubs still roll like butter.

(Despite a few sphincter-puckering moments when meeting a pot-hole that wasn't there yesterday!)

The 50mm profile does make for some interesting crosswind handling, but nothing as hectic as the Light Weights that I rode which sometimes felt as though the Cape Doctor himself (or herself?) was trying to tear me off the bike.

In hindsight, I might have opted for a 30mm rim profile for those super gusty days when the wind appears to be blowing

from every direction, except the rear.

I bought the product as a training wheel set, but quite frankly, can no longer find a reason to ride or race anything else, so they've become my 'do everything' clincher wheel set.

NB: I don't work for the guys nor have any reason to endorse their product.

But,

I've tried to find fault with the wheels in order to justify an 'upgrade' but quite frankly, I can't.

This is R 8 K very well spent.

I hope this helps.

there was a set of cosmic SLR's on sale today in the forum for 8k.....absolute bargain..it really was a 20k new wheelset....i still have the receipt for mine for 22k

I've been riding a set of DH wheels since April through some of the worse weather that Cape Town has seen in decades.

(Approx 7000 km)

Light and stiff is how I might describe them, but a better description would be; outstanding value for money.

Still as true as the day they were delivered, the Sapim spokes are tough as nails and the bitex hubs still roll like butter.

(Despite a few sphincter-puckering moments when meeting a pot-hole that wasn't there yesterday!)

The 50mm profile does make for some interesting crosswind handling, but nothing as hectic as the Light Weights that I rode which sometimes felt as though the Cape Doctor himself (or herself?) was trying to tear me off the bike.

In hindsight, I might have opted for a 30mm rim profile for those super gusty days when the wind appears to be blowing

from every direction, except the rear.

I bought the product as a training wheel set, but quite frankly, can no longer find a reason to ride or race anything else, so they've become my 'do everything' clincher wheel set.

NB: I don't work for the guys nor have any reason to endorse their product.

But,

I've tried to find fault with the wheels in order to justify an 'upgrade' but quite frankly, I can't.

This is R 8 K very well spent.

I hope this helps.

+ 1

Love my DH wheelset

Those 50mm clinchers from DH, do they still flex a lot? I rode a set about a year ago as a demo and found they had quite a lot of flex when placed under power... Has this been rectified?

Those 50mm clinchers from DH, do they still flex a lot? I rode a set about a year ago as a demo and found they had quite a lot of flex when placed under power... Has this been rectified?

Please give an indication of your weight when you were using them. ( just for interest sake)