8 days to a 30km mtb ride

What would you do if you havent been on a bike in years. Had just over a week till a 30km mtb race and no access to mtb to train with. You also havent been to the gym in around 2 months but will have a lot of time for the gym in that last week.

Other than not take part.lol. How would you go about training for it if you were forced to.

You won't be able to train for it, simple as that.

Take it very easy on the day and stay hydrated

Nothing you can do training wise. Any cycling training you do now will likely just cause those mussels to still be sore on race day - same with your @rse.

I would just go for a short ride to ensure my bike is still OK and set up correctly. Also use the opportunity to tick of all kit requirements.

Just use mental tuffness on the day and force yourself through it.

Edit: Just saw that you don't have access to the race bike, so my setup point is moot. Still check that you have all kit (water bottle, shoes, helmet, repair kits, etc). Make sure you set up the bike you will be racing on properly before the race starts.

Edited by Pax_

8 days to do 30Km.... I think walking would be faster :P

Seriously though, as the other guys have said, just take it easy, start off slow, conserve your energy and stay hydrated.

I did a 500km/6 day charity ride in Feb this year (mix of tar and dirt).

Started training a month before, gymed for a week, then bought a cheap MTB 3 weeks before and did some really easy road rides (20km - 40km) - I knew nothing about cycling at the time and was unfit before I started training.

I made it out alive, I'm sure you'll be fine.

Other than the V-man said, the worst thing you have to worry about in 30km's is your bum that will probably hurt the most. invest in some chamois cream, to aleviate some of the chafing.

Have fun!!

Get a medical examination before the race.... might keep you alive if you are that out of shape you worry about 30km....

+1

• 2 weeks later...

He has not been online for a while. Hope he has finished the 30km by now! :unsure:

Without sounding like a sicko, I hope he didn't die enroute