Quick Sealant Question

Vetseun

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You added glitter?? LMAO :D

Saw a few bottles of Joe's the other day in a LBS. White fluid, but had an orange/red residue at the top.

What goes into these magic brews?!

Stans, I haven't had a flat while using...get out the old stuff, put the new stuff...(sounds like doping :P )

You added glitter?? LMAO :D

Saw a few bottles of Joe's the other day in a LBS. White fluid, but had an orange/red residue at the top.

What goes into these magic brews?!

Glitter works a charm! Especially if you make your own sealant.

I hate Stans for several reasons – the biggest reason is the mess it creates inside the tyre and most recently the rubber ball inside the tyre 3 days after I fitted the tyres. How well a type of sealant works depends on various factors:

Rims:

1) Real UST rims like the Mavic CrossMax SLR type

2) Tubeless rims with a proper bead hook like Stans or American Classic

3) STD rims fitted with a rubber rim strip like Stans or Eclipse kit or ghetto tubeless

4) STD rims sealed with insulation tape – used since 2005 but type 2 above is much more reliable.

Tyres:

a) Real UST tyres like Maxxis LUST with very thick sidewall. (UST bead) 600-750g

B) UST compatible like Schwalbe EVO Pacestar or Geax TNT (UST bead) 500-650g

c) STD foldable tyres (some seal very well, others leak through the sidewall) 450-550g

d) STD ultralight tyres (most leak through the sidewall) 380-450g

Sealants:

x) Water based

y) Latex based

All the above combinations can work, but some seal a lot better than others and is more reliable.

The best combo for me for training is: 1/2 – a/b – x/y

The best combo for me for racing is: 2 – c – x

The worst combo generally is: 1 – c/d - x

So depending on your tyre choice and tubeless setup, you may require a sealant that reacts quicker or one that’s more sticky.

From 2004 I made my own latex based sealant and a 5L latex was R95 and lasted 5 years with many tyre changes. Latex based sealant creates a sticky mess and while it’s ok if you never change tyres and don’t care about weight, it’s just one big mess if you quickly want to fit your race tyres if you’re not fortunate to have 2 wheel-sets. This made me try other sealants incl. Stans, but most of them create some sort of mess and glue to your tyres and the tyre bead. I like tyres clean when I take them off for storage or when I only want to fit a set of tyres for a specific event.

Then I discovered the Midas sealant at R35 for 250ml diluted with ready mixed antifreeze. Cheap and clean, no mess, easily washes off with water – tyres stay like new on the inside, seals punctures just like Stans, but it’s not as sticky as Stans and react slower with air so when using a tyre of type c or d above it takes longer before the sidewall seals. post-3074-0-92656800-1382085232_thumb.jpg

So I’ve been using the Midas / antifreeze mix for a long time successfully and recently while travelling saw a bottle of Stans in a shop and thought ‘let’s try this stuff again and see if they’ve maybe improved the formula since I’ve used it in the early days’.

I now have 2 wheel-sets and fit the race tyres the day before the event and take them off after the event again. I thought the Stans won’t create a mess as I’ll wash it off before it gets hard inside the tyre. What a mistake. 3 days of Stans in the like new wheels with brand new tyres and already have white stuff glued to it and a rubber crystal ball inside the tyre. post-3074-0-79779900-1382085223_thumb.jpg

Stans work but I hate the mess it creates and at that price, the Midas sealant diluted with antifreeze totally beats it.

Glitter works a charm! Especially if you make your own sealant.

I agree and as a bonus it makes those behind you look very glamorous when you get a puncture... YMCA!!

Thanks for the informative post lights...my only gripe with the thicker sealants like an oko is the fact that they don't seal as quick as the thinner latex ones like stan's, which results in you having to stop and pump your tyre back to your original pressure vs not even knowing you had a puncture.

I can't argue with stan's being expensive, but I don't mind if it works...also the mess you refer to in the tyres with stan's I quickly clean...takes less than 5 minutes but then again I almost never need to since the tyre stays on until it is moeg...I don't frequently change tyres and wheels for conditions or training. In the odd event I have to remove the tyre and save it, I dunk the whole tyre, stan's and all in the pool(sure a bucket will do) get an old goldilocks from the washup cuboard and give it a quick scrub....quick quick.

If you can’t get Stans to work for you then maybe settle for Perma Tubes. The consistency is quite thick, no maintenance and you’ll never have a flat again. I used them when I was 6 and it worked, a lot of drag though but nothing gets the heart racing quite like they do! :P

I with my limited technical abilities have done a sealant experiment.

I tried this cheapy sealant Ryder. They brag on the bottle that it doesn't make snot balls if you bomb the tyre.

I first used it as it, didn't do well at all, very limited sealing.

Added a teaspoon of glitter, improved plenty.

But at the end of the day, "goedkoop is duur koop"

It is not Stans!

I now want to use Stans again.

Do I need to remove all the left over Ryder sealant and then wash the tyre out and then add the Stans?

Or can I just top up with uncle Stan?

Much appreciated.

Stans suck

mmmmm compared to what...I have tried a couple of others and stan's still performs the best. What do you use

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/129838-rave-thank-you-mr-stans/page__hl__mr+stans

Been riding with the GEAX sealant from CWC and for the past six months have had no flats so can't complain. Also makes less of a mess than Stans. R199 for a liter and I've only used about 250ml(done 3 wheels to date).

My 2c for a friday..

I agree and as a bonus it makes those behind you look very glamorous when you get a puncture... YMCA!!

Haha ja. His wife bliksems him when he gets home. Thinks he lied about going to a race but rather went to Teazers!

Been riding with the GEAX sealant from CWC and for the past six months have had no flats so can't complain. Also makes less of a mess than Stans. R199 for a liter and I've only used about 250ml(done 3 wheels to date).

My 2c for a friday..

I'll second Geax sealant

Recently bought FRM sealant from Evobikes, still got to test it, but it looks the same as Stans