Read this before you buy Sidi MTB shoes - Major quality concerns

Squier

I would not recommend Sidi Dragons as the outsole tread pieces are so soft - they wear away quickly and cost R550+ to replace.

My Mavic carbon soled shoes have lasted 3years + and are only now starting to wear out.

The Sidi's lasted 4 rides and there was visible wear on the soles.

I sent pictures to ASG and they replied saying its not a warranty issue.

Surely MTB soles should last longer than say 10 rides?

You are walking too much...

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It will be hard to take Sidi on for bad quality. They have been around for a while and top teams race with them. I have a pair and I can not fault them on anything. They might be a bit narrow for my liking and I find that specialized and mavic shoes are more comfortable but quality wise I reckon they are top notch. I find them extremely expensive so I expect nothing less

....... and Woolworths must come and replace the milk in my fridge that has gone past its expiry date. It is unacceptable that its lasts only 5 days, even though it said that on the bottle! I expect my milk to last longer. Consider this before buying Ayrshire Milk!

LOL - Woolies never complain when I take back milk that is sour before it's sell by date... BUT...lately this is an all too regular occurrence - like a couple of times a month... luckily the local woollies is only about 500m from home (and I send the wife..)

Or to put it differently...

Whether you expect soles to rip off your (heavily used, 18 months' old and pretty beaten-up) shoes as a result of a minor crash or not is up to you and your own perception of quality. In the same way that you expect shoes to last longer than 18 months (150 rides or 9000km) is based on your perception of the quality and durability of the product.

It could just be a once off incident.'

but it could also be a fault in the manufacturing process, the glue used that day or week on all the shoes might have been tainted but who knows.

snip snip

Oh nonsense, they lasted 18 months didnt they. if their is a flaw in manufacturing they would have 'exploded' a lot a lot earlier.

This post is quite bizarre, pathetic actually. If your wipe out and subsequent damage to your cycling equipment happened in the first week I'd have sympathy.

Whats going to happen when you prang your bike into a tree / hole and bend the handle bar lets say? You going to post it here that the manufacturer wouldnt give you a new one?

GET REAL dude.

As far as Sidi goes, their product is feature rich, attractive and does work. 18 months jeeeeez...

LOL - Woolies never complain when I take back milk that is sour before it's sell by date... BUT...lately this is an all too regular occurrence - like a couple of times a month... luckily the local woollies is only about 500m from home (and I send the wife..)

Sometimes dairy cows graze on things that make the milk taste sour even though it's not off.

OP, doesn't make financial sense for SIDI to entertain warranties outside the qualifying period.

Admitting to a screw-up might impact on how fair people view the extreme premium they charge.

DIY those bad boys and get back on the saddle!

Oh nonsense, they lasted 18 months didnt they. if their is a flaw in manufacturing they would have 'exploded' a lot a lot earlier.

This post is quite bizarre, pathetic actually. If your wipe out and subsequent damage to your cycling equipment happened in the first week I'd have sympathy.

Whats going to happen when you prang your bike into a tree / hole and bend the handle bar lets say? You going to post it here that the manufacturer wouldnt give you a new one?

GET REAL dude.

As far as Sidi goes, their product is feature rich, attractive and does work. 18 months jeeeeez...

Yap! Can't help but get the idea that someone's trying their luck for a free pair of new Sidi's... :whistling: ...

I would not recommend Sidi Dragons as the outsole tread pieces are so soft - they wear away quickly and cost R550+ to replace.

My Mavic carbon soled shoes have lasted 3years + and are only now starting to wear out.

The Sidi's lasted 4 rides and there was visible wear on the soles.

I sent pictures to ASG and they replied saying its not a warranty issue.

Surely MTB soles should last longer than say 10 rides?

Oh my goodness. If you walk on stones / rocks, expect wear. Did you really expect any other response from ASG?

As for changing the tread pieces - WHAT A BRILLIANT DESIGN IDEA! you can replace them when worn for a fraction of the cost of buying a completely new pair! and the softer rubber probably slips less on wet rock than other brands whose tread pieces are harder/more plasticised.

Looks like a hungry couple of fellas.

But saying that, I just don't get the rave over Sidi shoes.

My gardening technician looks like John Travolta as I gave mine to him.

If you want real shoes get a pair of Specialized shoes.

I have a pair of SIDI's which don't seem to want to die.....

I also have a pair of DMT carbon soled mtb shoes which are too road like for my liking.Too stiff and the ratchets clog up easily

Agreed on Spaz.I have a pair of road shoes which fit like a glove.They are white tho :blush:

My son has a pair of those new Shimano mtb shrink wrap thingies which he says are the best thing since god invented bullits we shall see

Who knows.

I like the look of those new Pearl Izumis which are designed to be more comfy for going walkabout or hike a bike

GET REAL dude.

Not to try and get into an argument with a keyboard warrior, but I will respond.

I do not believe that 18 months is a stretch in terms of the lifespan of a shoe, nor did I expect the soles of my shoes to rip off when going over the handlebars. I certainly was not the first mountain biker ever to go over the handlebars, but haven't heard of anyone else whose shoes suffered the same fate when dismounting in this particular way.

If I was involved in a massive crash where I damaged my equipment extensively I would agree with you. However, I merely went over the handlebars where not a single part on my bike or any equipment on my body were damaged, except for the severed soles.

I agree wholeheartedly that the product is feature rich, attractive and does work and that is the reason why I feel let down.

I have said it before and will say it again..... If you come to the forums looking for sympathy, you're gonna have a bad time!

It's a known fact that the SIDI MTB shoes soles are soft and don't last, but at least you can replace them.

The biggest problem is the local agents are piss poor at keeping all the spares for the different shoes. a couple of months back I needed buckles, they had stock but refused to sell to me, I had to go to a LBS, problem is no LBS stocked spares for SIDI, said I had to wait a week and then quoted me R 400 ea. :eek: I ended up buying on line with some other parts and paid R 175 for the pair.

Been looking for SRS for the last 4 weeks, once again no stock anywhere, was about to order on line and came right through a friend of a friend of a friend.

I remember in the good old days when AVH cycles had this agency, they stocked everything, even the small parts for both MTB and road.

If the local agent has a problem with LBS stocking their product then they should open up an online SIDI CAFE like they have in the UK check out this site http://www.sidicafe.co.uk/- us SIDI owners would be much happier.

Speaking of Specialized shoes, what do you okes recommend?

My Olympics aren't feeling very Olympic anymore, but they still do the job. I still walk a lot a times, so I need a comfy shoe. So I am looking at getting a new pair between now and January.

Hey now that I think of this, I need to watch Cool Runnings again....what an awesome movie

Sorry for the Hijack

Edited by RudoJ

Speaking of Specialized shoes, what do you okes recommend?

My Olympics aren't feeling very Olympic anymore, but they still do the job. I still walk a lot a times, so I need a comfy shoe. So I am looking at getting a new pair between now and January.

I suggest you go look at specials at the Cycle Fair this weekend, or at the 94.7 Expo, always massive bargains there.