2014 Tour De France

ScottCM

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Arthur Vichot explained to letour.fr before the start.

“It can be a good day for a breakaway”, the former French champion said, “but not for us! Today, we'll stay focused on our main goal, which is the overall classification for Thibaut [Pinot]. Yesterday, we screwed up a bit. We have to make it up and remain gathered around Thibaut. We've looked well at road maps and profiles of today's stage and [FDJ assistant directeur sportif] Christophe Mengin gave us details about the end of the race. It's been well explained at the team meeting this morning. So we also spoke about his stage to Nancy in 2005 when, alone in the lead, he crashed in the last curve on a wet road, but it's anecdotal because today it's a totally different race with two serious climbs in the finale rather than one nine years ago. We're motivated to do well.”

AG2R-La Mondiale's directeur sportif gave a positive medical report about Romain Bardet who crashed yesterday but managed to get back on and keep his eleventh position on GC. “There's no problem for Romain”, Jurdie said. “He had a good night and he's been pedaling well since the start of the stage. For now, there's nothing to worry about.”

The six breakaway riders have covered 40.9km in the second hour of racing. Average speed so far: 42.7km/h.

Catalan rider David De La Cruz of NetApp-Endura said this morning: “Yesterday was the first day that I've noted a lot of fatigue in the peloton.” This must be the effect of stage 5 on the cobbles and it might impact the riders' eagerness to ride aggressively today.

Alexandre Pichot (Europcar), Matthew Busche (Trek), Nicolas Edet (Cofidis), Martin Elmiger (IAM), Bartosz Huzarski (NetApp) and Anthony Delaplace (Bretagne-Séché) have 2.40 lead at km 79.