What the hell is this?

Pappa Bear

Thanks guys. Interesting...... Nots sure if the chain on a bicycle will soon be replaced.

Have to agree. That stringy thing is ugly.

It reminds of the equipment they used to read the stars to navigate in the 1800"s :)

Edited by Mads

Very interesting. Lots of pros. I like the idea.

Some concerns I have about the design:

• The cable outers for the gear selectors are constantly moving. How long will they last, and how much energy loss dose this cause?
  • What free wheel ratchets are they using. I would think they need to be very fine, otherwise it will not be a smooth transmission.
  • How wide apart are the pedals compared to traditional chain & sprocket designs?

errrm, looks like they took a train, and added a saddle. seriously reminds me of the reciprocating motion of old steam trains, and just about any piston engine for that matter. Very cool!

:w00t: practical purpose - zero.

twice as many components than necessary.

Why eliminate a chain with power transmission close to 100%

to substitute with elastic, that will have huge losses ??? :eek:

Late night surfing got me to these strange pics....... Anybody knows what this is and how it works?post-4575-0-05515700-1382813576_thumb.jpgpost-4575-0-99485000-1382813592_thumb.jpg

Complicated

twice as many components than necessary.

Complicated

It's not nearly as complicated as derailers.

Why eliminate a chain with power transmission close to 100%

to substitute with elastic, that will have huge losses ??? :eek:

Chains requires lots of maintenance. They are not using an elastic, else it would be called the elastic bike. It uses a very inelastic string.