Cape Town Giants at Durbanville HS FUNRIDE!

lucmccann

I noticed an incident on the Philadelphia road on race day where a motorist in a white vehicle overtook a group of riders (pelaton) on the right hand lane of the road, hooted constantly, went onto the gravel and nearly collided with oncoming traffic. Cycling should be a gentlemans sport and should rid itself of the hooligans within to focus on the real threat of hooligens like the motorist in the white vehicle.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i would think that you dropping down to ride with a family member (i've done it with my son & daughter) is a bit different than a group of e-f riders dropping down to M and then riding as fast as they can. another problem that crops up is that they pull the 'dropped ones' of the group ahead back. this just makes the groups bigger than what the start marshals originally intended and compromising safety.

the West Coast Express was a classic example of 3 start groups merging and swamping the entire R27 in both directions.

And therein lies the issue. It would have to be a blanket rule in order for it to be enforced. Where would you draw the line family, friends but only beginners impossible to police unless a blanket rule was put in place.

I do agree the system as it is is open to abuse but I also do not think there is an easy solution.

And therein lies the issue. It would have to be a blanket rule in order for it to be enforced. Where would you draw the line family, friends but only beginners impossible to police unless a blanket rule was put in place.

I do agree the system as it is is open to abuse but I also do not think there is an easy solution.

Just let anyone ride in the Temp groups at the back?

OFFICIAL CTG REPLY

Dear Hubbers,

I am the CTG Vice Chairman and would like to update you on the above situation.

Firstly, we would like to issue an appology to any cyclist/s that any of our members have offended as this is certainly NOT CTG policy.

We have been notified of this complaint this afternoon and we have been in contact with our team captains to draft a report on the race on Saturday. Our chairperson has been in contact with lucmccann to invite him and other relevant parties to a meeting which will be convened together with our team captains this evening.

Once this meeting has been finalised we will provide an official response to the complaints. Please note that as a club we DO NOT tolerate this type of behaviour.

Furthermore, we would like to categorically state that the hubber "TEAM CTG" does NOT speak on behalf of or represent or even belong to Cape Town Giants in anyway.

Thank you for your communication.

Regards,

Thabiet Davids

Vice Chairman

Cape Town Giants

OFFICIAL CTG REPLY

Dear Hubbers,

I am the CTG Vice Chairman and would like to update you on the above situation.

Firstly, we would like to issue an appology to any cyclist/s that any of our members have offended as this is certainly NOT CTG policy.

We have been notified of this complaint this afternoon and we have been in contact with our team captains to draft a report on the race on Saturday. Our chairperson has been in contact with lucmccann to invite him and other relevant parties to a meeting which will be convened together with our team captains this evening.

Once this meeting has been finalised we will provide an official response to the complaints. Please note that as a club we DO NOT tolerate this type of behaviour.

Furthermore, we would like to categorically state that the hubber "TEAM CTG" does NOT speak on behalf of or represent or even belong to Cape Town Giants in anyway.

Thank you for your communication.

Regards,

Thabiet Davids

Vice Chairman

Cape Town Giants

Good stuff, Thabiet! I hope this has a positive outcome for the Giants, and to those who are bringing your club into disrepute.

Funny how the peanut gallery almost always tend to divert the attention from the real issue at hand; throwing in insults and unnecessary comments from the sidelines. The OP states his gripe good on him, the lynch mob joined in with real/imagined/rumoured/alleged incidents perpetrated by the same club/guy/s(normal for a Monday).

The issue; transgressions perpetrated by members of a bunch/"peleton" led by predominantly CTG members.

A word to the self-styled CTG spokesman, the only correct answer/response to a post like this is "we take note of your complaint and will investigate it" and then you investigate it. Your attempt at pacifying this bunch is like trying to subdue ravenous dogs while wearing Lady Gaga's beef outfit.

To the fools, yes you know who you are, you are the chop who just for an instant felt a twinge of anger at me calling you a fool. Well done for diminishing the importance of the OP's post and delaying a speedy and fair resolution to this incident/s.

Just my 2c

Post delayed :blush:

Edited by ThaStig

Thanks for the response.

Was beginning to wonder how "TEAM CTG" was associated with the club as he isn't shedding a very good light on the club.

Since the topic has been derailed I would just like to add my 5c, Upon meeting a random cyclist on kromboom road a while back it had come to my attention that this person had a previous encounter with Team CTG, this based purely on his reaction to the two club riders who passed us at the robots.

I am familiar with a few CTG riders since most of them are from my surrounding area they friendly and well respected businessmen having dealt with a few over the years and in general a decent bunch of guys.

HOWEVER it has come to my attention that some members (who are on this forum) are no longer with the club for whatever reason, it seems like something has changed if this is the type of behaviour portrayed because this is not what the club stood for please note i am in no way affiliated to the club @all.

IMO we as the hub community need to play our part and try to make cycling a safer and better sport, but by posting our emotions and past experience does not help the future of the sport nor the club or it riders.

After all we human and we programmed to make mistakes, were we wrong we need to own up,the general feeling certainly does not seem like a once off occurrence nevertheless judging by the comments why has nobody offered to help or guide them..? Instead we rant and banter while others try to push them even further down, the problem is there, its real and it does not only exists amongst one but many other groups as well, reality is that the club is not going anywhere,after all we would need to deal with these guys at majority of the races so why not help one another to improve! that way we can maximise the use of an already small piece of tar road that we got to play with.

Maq

Funny how the peanut gallery almost always tend to divert the attention from the real issue at hand; throwing in insults and unnecessary comments from the sidelines. The OP states his gripe good on him, the lynch mob joined in with real/imagined/rumoured/alleged incidents perpetrated by the same club/guy/s(normal for a Monday).

The issue; transgressions perpetrated by members of a bunch/"peleton" led by predominantly CTG members.

A word to the self-styled CTG spokesman, the only correct answer/response to a post like this is "we take note of your complaint and will investigate it" and then you investigate it. Your attempt at pacifying this bunch is like trying to subdue ravenous dogs while wearing Lady Gaga's beef outfit.

To the fools, yes you know who you are, you are the chop who just for an instant felt a twinge of anger at me calling you a fool. Well done for diminishing the importance of the OP's post and delaying a speedy and fair resolution to this incident/s.

Just my 2c

Post delayed :blush:

Thanks peanut

OFFICIAL CTG REPLY

Dear lucmccann,

Although it would have been better to send a communication directly to the club first, we nevertheless received your complaint via the hub and acted accordingly.

Although you were invited by our chairman, it is unfortunate that you could not be present at our Special Meeting that we had on Monday to discuss this complaint as all parties were notified of their urgent attendance.

We discussed the complaint in detail and herewith our response.

This year three CTG teams are proud to be training for the Double Century. As part of the DC training programme besides distance training, we learn all about team racing and a few of the races have been identified where concepts like Rotational Pelatons, Double Lane Pelatons, Lead Outs, Climbing as a Unit, Descending as a Unit are implemented. At these races, we drop down to the lowest seeded member of the team and race in that group. So the main objectives of the race is to gel as a team, ride as a team and work together.

The team that you registered a complaint against was Race Team 2 and they were all present at the aforementioned meeting. Here is the response of the happenings on the Durbanville race.

Seven RT2 members started in the N-O group and the objective was to ride the entire race as a cohesive team and finish together. The group cycled in close proximity at most times and for a large majority of the race lead the bunch. The bunch grew and grew and by the time the last 10kms approached the bunch was in excess of 60 riders. This can be verified on racetec by the fact that on the finish line of that group 19 riders finished within 10 seconds and remember there is a climb in the last 1km.

About 7kms from the finish the riders recall about 5 meters AHEAD of the bunch a rider lost concentration and went off the road but managed to regain control of the bike and returned to the road. CTG members who were in front of the bunch showed sincere concern for the rider when they passed him.

As for the water bottle incident, the bottle fell and CTG rider apologised to the immediate riders around him – the riders retorted and cracked jokes about it. There was no maliciousness about the incident.

As for the elbowing incident – CTG RT2 vehemently denies elbowing any rider. Furthermore, there is no recall of a discussion as stated in your complaint with any rider. We can only surmise that this was in fact NOT a CTG rider but another member of the bunch. All CTG riders had a full CTG kit on at the race.

May I add that at the end of the race – many – many compliments were given to CTG RT2 (including Team Extreme) – complimenting RT2 for the work that went into the race and the way the team rode.

Let me again re-iterate, that CTG Policies are very strict about road safety, about decorum and discretion on and off the road and about going the extra mile to make CTG proud. It is very distressing to team management to receive these complaints and we take it very seriously. We are a safety first club and this is drilled into all our members all of the time.

Should you have any further queries, please feel free to contact us directly info@capetowngiants.org.za.

Best Regards,

Thabiet Davids

V. Chairman

Not attending the meeting was a serious faux pas IMHO .....

Yip

It discredits luccmann and brings his account into question.

Facing the club and it's procedural course after his complaints to the cycling public here was an important responsibility, I reckon.

Yip

It discredits luccmann and brings his account into question.

Facing the club and it's procedural course after his complaints to the cycling public here was an important responsibility, I reckon.

Not attending the meeting was a serious faux pas IMHO .....

As CTG was given the opportunity to respond so should the OP. He might have had a good reason for missing the meeting then again he might not have in which case........

Edited by alsoran