Absa Cape Epic 2014 Route

scuzzy

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would ride the epic every year if I had the money and time. It's just a pity that now any Tommy, Ritchard and Harold can go and buy Amabubesi gear. That's not perhaps what the epic is all about, but It takes away that of achieving something special away after working hard + plenty sacrifices made as an amateur to complete three. All passionate cyclist should at least complete one epic.

I would ride the epic every year if I had the money and time. It's just a pity that now any Tommy, Ritchard and Harold can go and buy Amabubesi gear. That's not perhaps what the epic is all about, but It takes away that of achieving something special away after working hard + plenty sacrifices made as an amateur to complete three. All passionate cyclist should at least complete one epic.

This....I will be honest and say I simply can't afford it...If I had to come up with any other reason I would lying to myself

Stage 4 looks spiked ... :eek:

post-4352-0-44182600-1383109161_thumb.jpg

that the day before the mother forker Stage 5

post-4352-0-85659500-1383109161_thumb.jpg

At least it looks like we get a couple of km's to warm up in the mornings, not like this year where we went straight into brick walls from the gun ... like this one around km 53 on stage 5! :eek:

Edited by Tankman

Stage 3 looks like one of those days you would rather do in reverse.

From finish to start it looks better than from start to finish :blush:

post-4352-0-40151000-1383109725_thumb.jpg

The route looks pretty hectic once again. Hats off to those who are signed on to ride, and those who have done it.

Not on my bucket list at the moment. Way out of my price range, and even though some hubbers have told me that they've done it, I don't believe my 10 hour weeks will cut it. Perhaps one day when I have can afford to spend a significant amount of time on my bike every day.

I was wondering; what must the vibe be like in the race village halfway through the Epic, when you've just suffered through 4 extreme days and you know there's still much more of that to come. It could potentially be a very somber place. At the shorter stage races there is always a lekker vibe in the race village, I'm assuming this isn't neccesarily the case at the Epic. Just a question out of interest.

Stage 4 looks spiked ... :eek:

post-4352-0-44182600-1383109161_thumb.jpg

that the day before the mother forker Stage 5

post-4352-0-85659500-1383109161_thumb.jpg

At least it looks like we get a couple of km's to warm up in the mornings, not like this year where we went straight into brick walls from the gun ... like this one around km 53 on stage 5! :eek:

Bultjies....lekker bultjies..... :eek:

The route looks pretty hectic once again. Hats off to those who are signed on to ride, and those who have done it.

Not on my bucket list at the moment. Way out of my price range, and even though some hubbers have told me that they've done it, I don't believe my 10 hour weeks will cut it. Perhaps one day when I have can afford to spend a significant amount of time on my bike every day.

I was wondering; what must the vibe be like in the race village halfway through the Epic, when you've just suffered through 4 extreme days and you know there's still much more of that to come. It could potentially be a very somber place. At the shorter stage races there is always a lekker vibe in the race village, I'm assuming this isn't neccesarily the case at the Epic. Just a question out of interest.

The mood is actually quite lekker to watch in that yes mid week there are some peeps feeling really sorry for themselves, added with some real bandaged up folks but you don't wanna miss the last two days cause then the end is in sight, it's like two days of the last night of a shorter stage race.....the start though is really special but for the last few years the first day or two are hectic wake up calls make it through them and then a diff day 5 is just another loooonnnggg day.

It remains a great experience.

People seem to be getting confused, this is a race not a tour of the western cape. The route is going to be similar each year, there are venues that work and portions of the ride that work, these will come up again and again, because this makes for the best racing. Its like Le Tour which does the same iconic climbs year after year.