Absa Cape Epic 2014 Route

scuzzy

Doubt i will ever do it, purely cause it is way out of my price league.

Same here! I think they should make entries 80K next year. Want to see if it would get filled as quickly.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am new to the mountain biking scene as in 2 months.

I see a lot of mention about price.

What is the cost of entering this race?

I assume entering is by invitation or if you have lots of bucks can one enter.

Looking at the distance and climbing involved made my legs tired.

Around 46K if I am not mistaken. Based on a lottery system. Gets filled within minutes

I have just been reading about it on their website.

He'll if one was fit and you were chosen that would be one hell of an adventure.

It would definitely make it on my top 10 things to do in life.

you are correct on both accounts......still over it......stage races should be done on the road.

Ah! Illumination! A roadie who couldn't cut it!

100 early bird entries to the 2014 Epic were sold out this year in 34 seconds...entry R45900/team.

Add on to that accomodation before and after the event, transport to the Cape, some new kit etc etc.

A number of other upgrade options are available too.

Unless of course you are a professional/ very highly ranked rider you could get a Wildcard entry...

why does it matter....none of the other stage races change their routes...if anything the epic changes things the most.

it's always been one of the big USP behind the race. the route and secrecy of it is a huge part of the mystical. but it's their race, they can do what they want with it.

last year they did a google earth flyover into the video, not this time. one thing that has definitely changes is the stage 3, how to get around the riviersondereind berge. in 2012 they went anti clockwise through villiersdorp, this time it's probably clockwise through stormsvlei.

edit: no groenlandberg must have been tempting

Edited by Shebeen

it's always been one of the big USP behind the race. the route and secrecy of it is a huge part of the mystical. but it's their race, they can do what they want with it.

last year they did a google earth flyover into the video, not this time. one thing that has definitely changes is the stage 3, how to get around the riviersondereind berge. in 2012 they went anti clockwise through villiersdorp, this time it's probably clockwise through stormsvlei.

edit: no groenlandberg must have been tempting

Sure, some might say it holds some appeal. If you take joberg2c as an example they use the same trail over and over, but keep on improving it. More singletrack, less dirtroads. Good formula imo. Work with what you got, and constantly improve.

Look either way, its the most physically / mentally testing mtb event we got. That in itself holds some appeal, ie you earn your stripes.

Doubt i will ever do it, purely cause it is way out of my price league.

Adjust your price league, easy peasy

Tour does similar climbs but the routes are generally very different. It's just unimaganative by Dr Evil, western cape has many more places to ride.

Maybe 2012 was a very profitable year and all they see are dollar signs. #capeepicdissapointed

But I am paid up and will enjoy it non the less. But J2C and pioneer now look more interesting. But that amabubesi is calling. But then again I can just buy the jersey at the store, no?

Tour does similar climbs but the routes are generally very different. It's just unimaganative by Dr Evil, western cape has many more places to ride.

If you HAVE to finish at the "iconic" Lourensford everytime, and ride in circles half the time, I actually don't think you have that many options for routes.

#capeepicdissapointed

But I am paid up and will enjoy it non the less.

Eish life is tough... I can just feel the empathy in the air of all those 100's of okes on the waiting list who don't have the option of riding this disappointing route (not even mentioning those who simply can't afford to)