How to decide if i should get a road bike

Active Monkey

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok I'm all for buying new bikes but if you're not really into racing road then build a pair of "road wheels" for your mtb.

Mtb hubs laced to road rims. Some 25mm road tyres and boom - same position as your mtb but smooth and faster. Lock out the shock(s).

One year I rode Sun City mtn and road races like that. The roadies love it when you ride with them on your mtb.

Do you always have to race? What happened to just the fun element? :ph34r:

Ok I'm all for buying new bikes but if you're not really into racing road then build a pair of "road wheels" for your mtb.

Mtb hubs laced to road rims. Some 25mm road tyres and boom - same position as your mtb but smooth and faster. Lock out the shock(s).

One year I rode Sun City mtn and road races like that. The roadies love it when you ride with them on your mtb.

kekekekkekeke....they sure do :whistling:

post-25934-1383215041,3222.jpg

Well there it is. Cost me under 5 and will be my road race bike. Will still use my MTB as main one

Congrats, welcome to the dark side.

You can expect to improve by 20-30mins on your road bike.

Congrats, welcome to the dark side.

You can expect to improve by 20-30mins on your road bike.

Thats cool but the main reason in the effort and cost to switch tires each time... Plus this will go on the trainer during the rest of the year with my mtb ready to rumble!

Thats cool but the main reason in the effort and cost to switch tires each time... Plus this will go on the trainer during the rest of the year with my mtb ready to rumble!

No man, what have you done????

Just made me lean more towards getting one too....going to do 94.7 on mtb with knobblies just because I don't want to do the effort of sealant etc etc. quite like Eldron's idea though, as it would be easier to hide from the ball and chain at home :ph34r:

Will see how the bonus looks end of next month and how much my wife wants done at home...

The biggest drawback with this option is that you lose a lot of top end speed.

The gearing of a road crank set is so much bigger. So where your big blade on the mtb is usually a 42 tooth the road bike has a 52+ big blade. Also the rims of a road bike and a 29er are the same size but the overall circumference with the skinny road tyre on is much smaller than the mtb tyre thus going less distance for each revolution of the wheel.

The upshot is that it works, but you end up spinning out at quite a low speed.

The gearing of a road crank set is so much bigger. So where your big blade on the mtb is usually a 42 tooth the road bike has a 52+ big blade. Also the rims of a road bike and a 29er are the same size but the overall circumference with the skinny road tyre on is much smaller than the mtb tyre thus going less distance for each revolution of the wheel.

on my MTB that is modified I start to spin at about 45Km/h. on steep hills I can sometimes do better than the roadies on a flat road I can't keep up if I don't work very hard.

No man, what have you done????

Just made me lean more towards getting one too....going to do 94.7 on mtb with knobblies just because I don't want to do the effort of sealant etc etc. quite like Eldron's idea though, as it would be easier to hide from the ball and chain at home :ph34r:

Will see how the bonus looks end of next month and how much my wife wants done at home...

You can kiss that bonus goodbye, sorry for you :whistling:

"Low speed" is relative...I can happily cruise along at 50kph without spinning out.

Your theory is absolutely bang on though. Less circumference = lower gearing.

In other news - it's kinda interesting that they never changed the gearing when wheel size went from 26 to 29.

Edit: I was bored so I did some maths. 25mm road tyre circumference is only 5.4% less than 2.3" mtb tyre. Road gearing (52/12) is 13.5% bigger than mtb (42/11).

Edited by Eldron

Im with Eldron on this, rather get another set of "road" wheels for your mtb.

If you do get a road bike, make sure your medical aid, disability and life insurance are in good shape.

Im with Eldron on this, rather get another set of "road" wheels for your mtb.

If you do get a road bike, make sure your medical aid, disability and life insurance are in good shape.

Hmmm.

On second thoughts - buy a new lightweight pair of uber wheels for your mtb and turn the old ones into road wheels. DOuble the benefits :-)

Agree with Eldron but these roadie okes normally wet their broeks when passing from behind with the nobblies going GRrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!

Agree with Eldron but these roadie okes normally wet their broeks when passing from behind with the nobblies going GRrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!

Also - the rush from cornering hard with knobblies on the tar is hard to beat! It's like driving an overloaded truck with flat tyres over ice. Drunk. And high.

I would rather stay with the mbt, one bike for your body to get used to.

And I always feel like doing races like the Argus with a mtb is more of a challenge than with a road bike.

Nothing is faster than a road bike….!! whoop whoop! Remember MTb's are build for off road etc. road bikes are build to go fast and to be light! They both great in their own right..but on the road .."road" will win! On dirt..you know