Calling the Fly fishing manne

Pieter1

Upper Elandspad with D. First trout of the season was smaller than the smile it caused. But who cares, it is a start. Streams are looking great, but I have an idea many of the bigger trout died off in the serious drought of the past two seasons, because we say only smallies and mediums.Still a fantastic day and an amazing hike deep into the mountains.

It's a special river that

Done the Kloof from the source a number of times

• Replies 677
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a special river that

Done the Kloof from the source a number of times

I just can't believe how tired I am this morning. It must have become steeper and further and rougher..........oh, wait it must be from Saturdays long bike ride.  :blush:  ;)

• 2 weeks later...

First time I've been taxed. Let me tell you, I shat myself. I was thigh deep when this guy swallowed the fly. The fight wasn't crazy for the first few moments, it went APE **** for a few secs and then line went dead. Next thing I remember I was on the beach.post-129156-0-22489500-1540134051_thumb.jpg

First time I've been taxed. Let me tell you, I shat myself. I was thigh deep when this guy swallowed the fly. The fight wasn't crazy for the first few moments, it went APE **** for a few secs and then line went dead. Next thing I remember I was on the beach. IMG-20181021-WA0001.jpg

Yoh!! Does not look like a shark bite tho. Would have been a nice kob.

• 3 months later...

Was brousing around Big Catch in Paardeneiland on Fri and decided to visit the Fly fishing section.

First fly rod I picked up (Asquith)  R14 000 .Put it down fast and moved to the reel setion.First reel I looked at R7000 .Moved along swiftly!!!   More expensive than cycling!!

Was brousing around Big Catch in Paardeneiland on Fri and decided to visit the Fly fishing section.

First fly rod I picked up (Asquith)  R14 000 .Put it down fast and moved to the reel setion.First reel I looked at R7000 .Moved along swiftly!!!   More expensive than cycling!!

There are much cheaper options that will work really well. Frontier and Stealth are local brands made in the East, a bit like Momsen is in the bike world. I got one of my youngsters a rod/reel/line combo from Frontier for about R2500 a couple of yeas ago. But, yes, some rods & reels are like Colnagos, works of art and priced to match. Others are like Giants, straight forward, dependable workhorses, but a bit bland. On one thing I agree, it can become expensive if you let the same upgrade bug bite you that makes cycling so expensive.

• 6 months later...

Fishing related -See fishermen in False Bay are catching Kob.They are however using drones to take the bait out.

Is that even fishing ? Bit like E bikes!!

Fishing related -See fishermen in False Bay are catching Kob.They are however using drones to take the bait out.

Is that even fishing ? Bit like E bikes!!

Hahaha! Ja that is exactly the kind of debate on most fishing forums.

Where was this?

Elands river in Mpumalanga, just around Krugerhof/Waterval Onder. The interesting part is that it is inaccessible from the sea, which apparently is where these longfin eels breed, so he must have flown in....

Inaccessible as evidenced by the Elands River Yellowfish which is a distinct yellow species found only along these 40km or so of river because they are hemmed in by waterfalls up and downriver.

Caught in a net in this case. But we do now understand why the locals are not so keen on swimming in the river. they are sometimes seen out and about on the wet grass after rains. The eels are at least.

Edited by 100Tours

• 1 month later...

My first outing of this years' Cape streams season:

I find it important to get it off on the right footing, and the Smalblaar, that prince of streams, was at its' very best today. Clear, flowing strong and icy cold with a little upstream breeze, insects hatching, fish rising.......

post-17716-0-56958000-1571487825_thumb.jpg

Edited by DJR

Decisions, decisions......but really not a very difficult choice.......with eyes that struggle to see the tiny black flies, nowadays my go-to fly is always going to be a high floating buggy one like a RAB or a Para-RAB, preferably with a high visibility post.. They have a solid reputation on these streams and if you really really want a fish, they will be your best bet. Notice that I didn't even think of a nymph. I tend to use them only as a last resort on the Cape mountain streams when dries don't work at all. It is just too much poetry to see the fish rise to a floating dry fly.

post-17716-0-05577800-1571488313_thumb.jpg