Origin of Trails

milky4130

So who is doing this 2 day mtb event in Stellenbosch, besides Facebook i've seen very little hype about it on theHub.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Haven't entered yet but I plan to do it.

Route sounds amazing so I am surprised by the lack of interest/entries.

I suppose its normal for any event in its 1st year. All you really need is to give all the Pro's free entry & the rest will flock.

Quite pricey for a 2 day event considering it excludes accomodation & meals, and its on the same weekend as the Burger.

Maybe the idea is to be more of an exclusive type of event, not aimed at plebs like me :ph34r:

Quite pricey for a 2 day event considering it excludes accomodation & meals, and its on the same weekend as the Burger.

Maybe the idea is to be more of an exclusive type of event, not aimed at plebs like me :ph34r:

W2W is 3 days for R4000 pp.

Seriously you can sleep at home if you live in Cape Town, which I'll be doing for Origin of Trails (OOT)

If W2W was based in Stellies I would also sleep at home even for that price. I know some guys who live in the Southern Suburbs of Cape Town & will be driving to & fro for W2W race, sleep is critical, IMO. So compare the 2 events in terms of prices vs days OTT is a better deal (both have single track galore)

Either way I'm blessed to be doing both this year.

So compare the 2 events in terms of prices vs days OTT is a better deal (both have single track galore)

I guess value for money is a subjective thing - just saying how this race is perceived by me &; others I've spoken to.

For me 2K is a lot for 2 days of riding in places where I get to ride during the year anyway (hard to gauge from the route description how much of the track is really "exclusive").

Not knocking the race, just trying to answer your question about the lack of hype

Edited by Skubarra

yeah i hear you, i had the same opinion in the beginning but just decided to take the plunge anyway.

W2W as well, I think more than 50% can be ridden any time of the year as well.

if you consider Grape Escape started out the same, was like R1500 for 3 days now its more than double if i'm not mistaken.

I see now the price includes lunch & breakfast, and its the same organisers as W2W - so it should be well organised.

Will wait and see on this one, if the feedback is good I might do it in future

Haven't entered yet but I plan to do it.

Route sounds amazing so I am surprised by the lack of interest/entries.

They originally advertised it for weekend past, perfect timing for W2W race prep.

I was going to do it because of that.

Then changed to this month end.

I think a lot of people are taking a break post W2W and before gearing up Epic , or those who doing it.

So in my eyes bad timing maybe ?

They originally advertised it for weekend past, perfect timing for W2W race prep.

I was going to do it because of that.

Then changed to this month end.

I think a lot of people are taking a break post W2W and before gearing up Epic , or those who doing it.

So in my eyes bad timing maybe ?

the 1st time i saw or heard about this event was for the dates of the 29th & 30th November. didnt even know about earlier dates. I suppose thats only when they started marketing it.

Im doing it.... Cant decide on ratios though...

Grape escape was 2400 zar this year. It was fun.

Sleep on a 2 day ride? Psht. over rated. Eating post ride day 1 and an afternoon zzzzzz will allow you more than enough rest.

A nice place to pre and post race poop....... Thats number 1 (or 2) on my list of important features. :ph34r:

And we talk about 'yes you can' ride the trails but do you ever? I like entering races like this because instead of actually saying, 'ooh, stellies is cool' then driving to Stellies to ride Jonkers instead of exploring more routes happens WAY too often.

But then I am not saying everyone is a creature of habbit, but i find my friends and I do that quite a bit. I

f you swap out your 2 grand entry for say, 3 tanks of Petrol and commute to work it pays for itself.............

Sleep on a 2 day ride? Psht. over rated. Eating post ride day 1 and an afternoon zzzzzz will allow you more than enough rest.

Just to be clear - not saying I want accomodation, of course I can drive through from home. I'm saying I'm expecting a discount on a stage race fee because I'm not paying for accomodation.

We pay R200 - R300 for an average marathon distance, so if I'm expected to pay 2 x R300 + R1,200 for the event, am I sure I'm getting value for money for that extra R1,200?

+1 for the too expensive for student comment. give student discounts on races a though please ( if any race organisers are reading)