My cyclist on the M3 beats your cyclist on the M5

stratus5

You may not cycle on a freeway, that's why you are allowed on the N1 out of town until church street exit, as the sign that a freeway starts is after the church street exit. Find it much safer going n1 for that bit than down main road.

Not sure which parts of M5 are high way, I am sure past ottery I don't think its a freeway.

Which makes sense. I ride the M5 from the N2 to Kromboom turn off, i am still under the impression this is legal. Well this is when i had a road bike ofcourse

Edited by Meezo

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Which makes sense. I ride the M5 from the N2 to Kromboom turn off, i am still under the impression this is legal. Well this is when i had a road bike ofcourse

I don't think it is strictly legal, but the traffic cops do wave when you go past so i think they turn a blind eye if you're being sensible

I will have a look next time on the M5.

I cross the koeberg interchange to get from Maitland to paarden eiland, that's hairy on your bike!

I don't think it is strictly legal, but the traffic cops do wave when you go past so i think they turn a blind eye if you're being sensible

Turning blind eyes doesn't make something ok.

Nor does being sensible make it legal.

And being legal doesn't mean it's not stupid.

Turning blind eyes doesn't make something ok.

Nor does being sensible make it legal.

And being legal doesn't mean it's not stupid.

Is it illegal?

Is it illegal?

Not too sure too be honest.

One can't exactly place much reliance on road signage because you never know if they've been removed officially/unofficially.

There are definitely freeway signs along the M5, but I can't be sure if it's the entire stretch of road or not.

Same goes for the N1 out of CBD ... freeway always started at the exit from the Waterfront but signage nowadays suggest that it's at Church Str.

Should the question be "is it legal" or rather "is it sensible".?

Not too sure too be honest.

One can't exactly place much reliance on road signage because you never know if they've been removed officially/unofficially.

There are definitely freeway signs along the M5, but I can't be sure if it's the entire stretch of road or not.

Same goes for the N1 out of CBD ... freeway always started at the exit from the Waterfront but signage nowadays suggest that it's at Church Str.

Should the question be "is it legal" or rather "is it sensible".?

Riding out of town from the lower level is much safer than getting mugged on main road. Just must watch out for barges!!!!

And the same with the m5. Much safer than lower main road

Just checked and M5 not a highway between N2 and kromboom, so its legal to ride and that one on M5 was ok

Just checked and M5 not a highway between N2 and kromboom, so its legal to ride and that one on M5 was ok

Thanks! Thought i read that too

well according to wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M5_road_(Cape_Town)

(some civil engineer must have a serious love of assphalt to have loaded all of this up)

The M5 is an expressway in Cape Town, South Africa. It connects the northern suburbs (Milnerton) to Muizenberg in the south, and crosses both the N1 and the N2. For part of its length, from the N1 interchange to Plumstead, it is a limited-access freeway (motorway).

It begins at the Potsdam interchange at the N7 in the north; then proceeds southward and becomes a dual-carriageway at Blaauwberg Rd and is called Koeberg Road through this section. At the Koeberg Interchange with the N1, the M5 becomes a limited access motorway and is called the Black River Parkway.[1] At the N2 interchange, the name changes to the Kromboom Parkway. Just south of the Ottery Road interchange, the M5 loses its motorway status and is a dual-carriageway as Prince Georges Drive. It terminates at the R310 (Baden Powell Drive) on the False Bay coast in Muizenberg.

You are mistaken!

The M5 between the Koeberg Interchange and Ottery it is a freeway and no bicycles are allowed on it. Look for the freeway signs, they are clear enough. Same with the M5 from Wineberg Hill to Westlake.

You are mistaken!

The M5 between the Koeberg Interchange and Ottery it is a freeway and no bicycles are allowed on it. Look for the freeway signs, they are clear enough. Same with the M5 M3 from Wineberg Wynberg Hill to Westlake.

Corrected.

more than 20 years ago, I was pulled off the M5 by traffic cops with my 50cc, they didn't fine me but immediately told me to take the first exit off because motorbikes under 50cc (now 125cc) not allowed on freeways. So back then they considered it a freeway, hence bicycles not allowed.

It would be great if they can make the M5 Northbound in morning peak and Southbound in afternoon peak open to cyclist. very much like the bus lane rules

So I happened to be drive the M5 southbound yesterday from N2 to Kombroom and definitely saw some freeway signage.

Possible confusion caused by "non-freeway signage" at off-ramps.

Can't confirm, but can't think that northbound would be any different.