Where is the biggest, meanest, longest and steepest hill in Jo'berg?

GhostSixFour

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We did this for years after the Jock when we sponsored it... Anatomic Watt Challenge. Bike riders full weight (bike and rider) and their age all taken into account along with their time.

Was good fun and games!

I'm not going to lie, that's where I got the idea - I remember reading up about it years ago in one of the Bicycling Mags and they reckoned it was blast

If it works out we might look at something similar in Gauteng - i think there is a need for some fun events again after lockdown

:thumbup:

What about Doreen Road from Hendrick Potgieter ( Roodepoort)? I dont have the ascent but it is 2kms long and in the pre strava days I recorded 92km/hr going down it.

We did this for years after the Jock when we sponsored it... Anatomic Watt Challenge. Bike riders full weight (bike and rider) and their age all taken into account along with their time.

Was good fun and games!

What the watt? The only thing I knew about the Jock was that bastard of a hillclimb on the Sunday that was a winner takes all free for all. I did finish in the top five twice, but your system sounds much nicer.

If it works out we might look at something similar in Gauteng - i think there is a need for some fun events again after lockdown

I'm very keen to race/help organise some crits/TT's/hillclimbs, so let me know please.

BTW, the biggest problem with this thread is that Gauteng is a lot flatter than [......insert those fancy places here....].

Gauteng is entirely flat, so I fixed your sentence to reflect reality.

What about Doreen Road from Hendrick Potgieter ( Roodepoort)? I dont have the ascent but it is 2kms long and in the pre strava days I recorded 92km/hr going down it.

Sissy, I hit 93 on Doreen once :-)

That hill is a bugger, haven’t ridden it in over 25 years but when I was a laaitie I used to ride it plenty. How I got up there with a 42-23 easiest gear I dunno, I suppose weighing 40 something kilos helped.

Some of the half decent hills on Joburg roads are too be found on "The Witwatersrand" z literally the ridge from Kdorp to Germies. On the West Sterkies, Kdorp, Doreen, Christian de Wet, Golf Club Terrace and some other short steepies can be tackled for a hilly ride (some a bit busy though).

On a recent visit to Grahamstown I did Ecca Pass 9.9km ave 4.4% on newly redone Road. Woest Hill at 3.3km ave 8.2% a goodie. Some great road, gravel and mtb adventures to be had there.

Since you want to stick to Joburg, how about

AG de Wit Road going from Bedfordview to Primrose?  Not too long and packs a bit of a punch (about 1.3 km with 80m ascent; or

Impractical (because it's a highway), but for a TT sprint the N12 East from the R21 split, past Edenvale off-ramp to the top - 4 lanes straight up where a number of riders can go at once.  About 3km, 111m ascent at some 3.8% avg.

The longest/steepest/meanest hill i ever rode is Jonaskop just outside Worcester. 3hrs to get up the 14kms and 1200m odd elevation, 25mins to get down... ????

It was absolute torture ????

That being said, for the purpose of a hillclimb event, climbing up to Saaltjie (Jonkershoek) from the wrong side could be more suited: 900m long and 130m elev.

Edit: Jonaskop is the reason i ditched my 34x11/46 10spd cassette and upgraded to the new SLX (34x10/51)

Edited by gemmerbal