Where is the biggest, meanest, longest and steepest hill in Jo'berg?

GhostSixFour

We went there before we had kids, but it was under full cloud cover the whole day, only had a glimpses down to the bottom.

So we need to go again for the full experience.

Don't go with something that doesn't have Low Range or descent control. You'll cook your brakes in no-time.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lebanon up to the tower in Howick is pretty heavy. 6.5% grade over 5.6km and 353m climbing that just drags it out of you.

I know the digression is continuing but...

Spending the weekend at Marakele and was looking at the riding in the area. Nice climb just past Marakele: Bakkers Pas, 6.24km, 6%, 381m

https://www.strava.com/segments/9198682

Or just go be on holiday. Its a beautiful park. Sorry I'll leave bikehub now...

Or just go be on holiday. Its a beautiful park. Sorry I'll leave bikehub now...

Love the park, but I need to train man... But you are right.

We've got a Dinamic Coaching training camp out Clarens way this weekend and we've got a little TT hill climb event planned for the Saturday afternoon just for a bit of fun.

We're making it a little different though in that we will weigh you in full kit with your bike before you start and then calculate your total Watts.  The one putting out the most calculated Watts wins - that way, Fat Bob and Skinny Amy both have a fair chance.

We've got a Dinamic Coaching training camp out Clarens way this weekend and we've got a little TT hill climb event planned for the Saturday afternoon just for a bit of fun.

We're making it a little different though in that we will weigh you in full kit with your bike before you start and then calculate your total Watts.  The one putting out the most calculated Watts wins - that way, Fat Bob and Skinny Amy both have a fair chance.

You probably meant Watts/Kg? Why else would you weigh them?

I think one should consider weight classes for hillclimbs, like in boxing. You can win your class or the overall.

I think one should consider weight classes for hillclimbs, like in boxing. You can win your class or the overall.

What's next? Weight classes and age cats at the Tour?

(PS, handicap races are as old as the proverbial hills in cycling)

Why are the hills being mentioned clearly NOT in joberg?

Edited by TNT1

What's next? Weight classes and age cats at the Tour?

(PS, handicap races are as old as the proverbial hills in cycling)

Why are the hills being mentioned clearly NOT in joberg?

I weigh 88kg, dry, on a good day... No ways I'm competing with you skinny okes from A-Batch going up a hill-climb. I'mt pushing a narrative where the bigger okes can also compete with each other on the hill. You guys can still enjoy the overall win.  :w00t:  

A Flat TT would then obviously be more suited to the bigger guys, but not allot of that in the offing either.

You called? And who is this Amy you speak about...introductions please!

We're making it a little different though in that we will weigh you in full kit with your bike before you start and then calculate your total Watts. The one putting out the most calculated Watts wins - that way, Fat Bob and Skinny Amy both have a fair chance.

Necro thread, no doubt... 

But

I need to mention this pass whenever I get an opportunity. This is the closest we can get to the climbs they use in the TDF.

Mariepskop:

On the eastern side of the Drakensberg Escarpment, facing away from the Blyde River Canyon, is the Mariepskop complex - a mountain enclave and centre of endemism of unsurpassed beauty. You can ascend to the top where, at 1,945m above sea level, you can see the Indian Ocean and Maputo on a clear day. Mariepskop is the higest peak in the northern Drakensberg Escarpment. The view is one of the finest in all of South Africa, providing the mountain is free of cloud and mist.

This decisively steep pass is 13,7 km long and climbs 1100m to summit at 1942m ASL via 95 bends, corners and curves, producing an average gradient of 1:14  but some of the sections are seriously steep at 1:5. The pass rises from the Lowveld at Klaserie on the R40 and climbs up this spectacular ridge of the Drakensberg in a complex network of roads, both gravel and tarred, to give access to the towering Mariepskop (its African name is Mogologolo) which plays host to a number of government installations including an old SAAF Radar Station, a set of telecoms towers and forestry fire look-out points.

HC climb
Strava KOM: 1h07

someone didn't hammer their new years party

https://www.strava.com/activities/3126522185#77606614289

Nope.  Watts - very Std 8 Ep=mGh.  We have the height of the climb.  So if we have the total mass then you can work out the Potential Energy needed to get to the top.  Watts =J/sec.

Mass (Rider and Bicycle) g (m/s^2) Climb(m) Ep (Joules) Time Taken (s) Watts (Joule/sec) W/kg
88 9.807 250 215754.00 700.000 308.220 3.503 John Smith
78 9.807 250 191236.50  600.000 318.728 4.086 Amy
120 9.807 250 294210.00 900.000 326.900 2.724 Fat Bob

Yes I know there are tons of other variables and it's not the right way to do it, but for a fun event, Fat Bob can go up the mountain slowest and actually win.

Edited by Andymann

Nope.  Watts - very Std 8 Ep=mGh.  We have the height of the climb.  So if we have the total mass then you can work out the Potential Energy needed to get to the top.  Watts =J/sec.

Mass (Rider and Bicycle) g (m/s^2) Climb(m) Ep (Joules) Time Taken (s) Watts (Joule/sec) W/kg
88 9.807 250 215754.00 700.000 308.220 3.503 John Smith
78 9.807 250 191236.50  600.000 318.728 4.086 Amy
120 9.807 250 294210.00 900.000 326.900 2.724 Fat Bob

Yes I know there are tons of other variables and it's not the right way to do it, but for a fun event, Fat Bob can go up the mountain slowest and actually win.

Understood. Will be a nice for a fun event.

I'll sign up for that then  :thumbup: Only because I will have a massively increased chance of winning.

Normally for climbing, the guys reference W/kg to compare efforts as it evens the playing field, thus my thoughts went there as soon as you mentioned the weigh-in.

Please PM me once you decide on your event date ;) 

There's quite a big difference in the spread of Athletes which are going - some beginners on MTB's, some really lightweight Juniors and a few Mamils with R150k+ bikes so I had to come up with some way to make it attractive for all - everyone is quite keen actually, with some of the faster guys even planning to ride with a few extra kg's in the form of Beer in a backpack.

It's on the last day, so there will be fines aplenty.  Especially if someone's Wife on a MTB beats their Husband on a Venge.

If it works out we might look at something similar in Gauteng - i think there is a need for some fun events again after lockdown

We did this for years after the Jock when we sponsored it... Anatomic Watt Challenge. Bike riders full weight (bike and rider) and their age all taken into account along with their time.

Was good fun and games!