Races taking rider weight into account

pieterdl

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Geez, so many people making so many assumptions. The guy merely asked if there were weight category races, nothing more. Instead of answers he gets advice to lose weight, become more disciplined, change sports and only ride socially.

Loosen your Lycra, guys. People that want to race in weight categories aren't freedom hating commie terrorists. That hate freedom. It's not novel either, look at Olympic rowing for example.

If it adds an extra dimension to cycling events then that's great.

Ja... Buffalo catagory.

But you compete against the other buffalos.

Without being mean the thinner guys are generally thin because they have better disciplin. The life choice to be thin usually comes with diet refinement, training hard and self control. I like pizza, burgers and beer as much as the next guy but to remain 70kg and fighting fit I refrain from indulging...... Giving up meat, cutting out processed sugar and other yummy things is difficult.

Its up to the individual to level the playing field, not the race organizers

you gave up meat?

For sure its all about discipline, with a bit of effort Matfield can also look like Rasmussen

Thats hectic. Sjoe. Love those photos :thumbup: Edited by schalk1982

I must say I one thing I like about the body building types, their fantastic legs they normally hide from the world by wearing baggy pants or take mirror shots from the waist up.

Food for Thought, If you cant climb the hills, you need more power. I also weigh 92kg and I'm 1.96m so losing weight seems to be an option. [i'm not fat jiust saying :D ]

Alternatively you can just get stronger. Lighter guys fly past me because of Power to Weight ratio...

I also carry a little more weight around my waist than I should :blush: . I train hard on the bike, but admittedly our diet at home could be much better so the weight is coming down very slow. But I am fit and feel healthy. I would say no to weight classes in races. You race, you ride, you have fun, whether you are a skinny racing snake, a regular guy or a raging huffing buffalo. Yes, I kick some skinny guys butt on the bike and then again get thrashed by others, just helps me in staying motivated and doing the thing I live for.

I did a sub 3;30 argus (jaa jaa, I'm slow) weighing 66kg, and when I looked at the actionphoto.net pics of me, alot of okes around me in the snap shots would be considered big/overweight/big boned (take your pic) and alot of them passed me up chappies and suikerbossie. they are damn strong carrying all that weight and 'spare tyres'. So I like the idea of weight categories :clap: . Strava you can see how you compare with others in your weight category, pick a few okes and use them as bench marks

After reading all the posts. I realise that cycling has become too competitive. Cyclists (if you can all the competitiojn crazed bunch that) are always looking to compare themselves against others. Does he have a better bike, wheels, kit, sponosr, wife, children than me? Can he cycle faster, more elegantly ext than me. This is the route to being constantly unhappy.

This also leads to the question "Do they have weight catergories" and an attempt to define oneself as a fat, skinny, round, VO2 max, ext cyclist. It is all an attempt to cut the pie so small that everyone gets a bit. Hey I won the hetrosexual, male, underweight, jewish, blue eyed arian race on saturday..... So how many were competiting? No only me because I was the only Jew not in the Synogogue.............

Although Lance (he who may never be mentioned), did say it was not about the bike. BUt in a bike race the bike determined the catergory. You either ride a MTB bike, A road bike, A track bike, A cyclecross bike ext, because that is what is being raced.

Another trend is people are "racing" for "rewards" and recognition before they are competent to cycle in the declared discipline. THere are many cases where guys on road bikes cannot even cleat in properly, or ride in pace line, yet they want to "race". (In mtb terms, they guy doesn't know what a single track is, but want to race his 29er and complains that the roads are not wide enough and the trails are too technical).

I ask that before you "race" get to enjoy being competent on your bike. Even better seak mastery before speed.

That is why I'm starting to enjoy Strava, I win everytime I beat a my own PR!

oh and don't forget to enjoy the scenery. I'm looking forward to the lagoon challenge, very beautiful scenery, don't lose those moments of sheer beauty!

That is why I'm starting to enjoy Strava, I win everytime I beat a my own PR!

oh and don't forget to enjoy the scenery. I'm looking forward to the lagoon challenge, very beautiful scenery, don't lose those moments of sheer beauty!

Lagoon challenge is such a great ride. Listed as a funride, and that is why I intend to do. Too beautifull to stare at someones rear wheel for 80km.