Races taking rider weight into account

pieterdl

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeez - I would like some weeny selfrightious "selfdisciplined" cyclist to walk up to a 6% bodyfat bodybuilder and tell him he is not very disciplined.

That wont end well. I can assure you. Cyclists still enjoy carbs. Bodybuilders are deprived of carbs. Quite cranky. I can vouch for that.

Jeez - I would like some weeny selfrightious "selfdisciplined" cyclist to walk up to a 6% bodyfat bodybuilder and tell him he is not very disciplined.

If you ask politely the bodybuilder might agree to settle the fight in the form of a bicycle race (the sterroids makes one not too clever).

If you ask politely the bodybuilder might agree to settle the fight in the form of a bicycle race (the sterroids makes one not too clever).

Oh no, another guy who thinks every big guy takes steroids. Ag nee man.

He may, or he could be a natural bodybuilder (that gets tested) - and decide to sommer net moer hom goed.

Road races here are relatively flat and fininshes are mostly sprints. No reason a heavy rider cant do well.

It will make a big difference if you get a coach, power meter, up your training load to around 16 hours, with some proper 20 min threshold intervals once or twice per week.

He may, or he could be a natural bodybuilder (that gets tested) - and decide to sommer net moer hom goed.

Still worth a shot. Have I mentioned I`m lightning quick off the mark with running?

The weight lifter comment is ridiculous. If you want to be a bodybuilder build mass, if you want to be a cyclist bulk down. If you want to be a weight lifting cyclist don't complain you weigh too much.

That is the balance/obsession/sacrifice/decision that every individual has to weigh up and balance for themselves.

Most people ride for recreation. Lets not lose sight of that. If 107 skinny teeny fit guys beat you, let it go. If they beat you they beat you and unless they threw a stick in your spokes or invoked some other nasty underhand method, through superior (RELATIVE TO CYCLING) genetics and various other reasons they probably deserve to beat you.

Enjoy the little gains and delights.... Imagine how swak the skinny racey okes feel when they get beaten by the buffs?

The weight lifter comment is ridiculous. If you want to be a bodybuilder build mass, if you want to be a cyclist bulk down. If you want to be a weight lifting cyclist don't complain you weigh too much.

That is the balance/obsession/sacrifice/decision that every individual has to weigh up and balance for themselves.

Most people ride for recreation. Lets not lose sight of that. If 107 skinny teeny fit guys beat you, let it go. If they beat you they beat you and unless they threw a stick in your spokes or invoked some other nasty underhand method, through superior (RELATIVE TO CYCLING) genetics and various other reasons they probably deserve to beat you.

Enjoy the little gains and delights.... Imagine how swak the skinny racey okes feel when they get beaten by the buffs?

Agreed! I want bicycle races that take genetics into account :w00t:

cancellara is 1.85m / 6ft1 @ 81kg, and he does pretty well for himself.

Endurance and ultra endurance requires the right balance of power to weight: it's never going to be for fat or muscular builds. Never. The more muscular ones tend to gravitate to the sprint events.

Track cycling however, and sprint events like the keirin, that's where muscle strength plays a massive role.

Somehow, i get the impression the massive okes are sif because they can't compute why they are being whipped by scarecrows.. hahahah.

Edited by Capricorn

I think the phrase being "socially competitive" comes to mind. It don't matter what size you are imagine if you did not ride and sat on the couch watching, then you would be very much bigger.........not an option. I weigh average and I take my hat off to you bigger folks out on bikes, whether it's road or mtb, I don't matter it takes HUGE balls and courage to go out there and race, albeit it catch up. Keep riding boet.....

That comment was meant to be lighthearted. It seems you are a bit tense and grumpy - maybe you need a few carbs....?

cancellara is 1.85m / 6ft1 @ 81kg, and he does pretty well for himself.

Endurance and ultra endurance requires the right balance of power to weight: it's never going to be for fat or muscular builds. Never. The more muscular ones tend to gravitate to the sprint events.

Track cycling however, and sprint events like the keirin, that's where muscle strength plays a massive role.

Somehow, i get the impression the massive okes are sif because they can't compute why they are being whipped by scarecrows.. hahahah.

I did not realize Cancellara was that big

I am just over 90 kg and 1,75 meters tall. I gym 5 days a week, weight training. About the same build as Bryan Hababana, although his legs are bigger than mine. Did the Engen race yesterday and came in the top 50 out of 350 odd competing with racetec. Average speed of just over 30, so I can be relatively competitive, but only over the short distance, did the 42. On the longer races, road and mtb I struggle when I am on the bike for more than 3 hours. To be honest, I dont want to be skinny, I prefer being a bit bigger. Thats the choice I made.

Edited by schalk1982