Do i need lockout forks for mtb road riding?

Saflyfish

Koop een keer en koop klaar... Koop wat jy graag wil he en wat jy dink die beste by jou gaan pas, al beteken dit dit gaan jou 'n ekstra paar rand uit die sak jaag...

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I even lock my fork out on some stretches at northers, so get the one with lockout. Chances are it's a better fork overall and then as previously mentioned check the other components as well.

A fork that can't lock is not worth having. Simply because even el cheapo coil forks can lock out.

Get the more expensive fork. Like wheels a good fork and shock are worth every penny.

But what I suggest is something like this, since majority riding will be road riding. Why buy bike according to minority type riding, when you will be doing long stretches on road, most of the time.

http://www.on-one.co.uk/files/oo/blogs/original/1NY8ZZDX-MonsterBikecopy.jpg

Braailegend do you know of any of the shelf Hybrids like this? i have been contemplating building one for quite some time now as no manufacturers seem to make these kind of hybrids only "city bikes"

Braailegend do you know of any of the shelf Hybrids like this? i have been contemplating building one for quite some time now as no manufacturers seem to make these kind of hybrids only "city bikes"

Look at Monster or Cyclocross bikes, hybrids are ladies bikes;) but dont think you'll be able to walk into a South African shop and buy something like this. Building it up yourself is half the fun!

This frame and fork can easily be imported from OnOne, think its about £130 for the frame, bought my inbred frame for £99. The rest is just normal bicycly components.

Te brakes though is the tricky part, this one has cable to hydraulic converters on, but think you can get roadie hydraulic discs these days, or just use the avid cable brakes, which are awesome brakes.

Thank you for the info I had a look at some of the Cotic frames as well. As for brakes i think cable discs are the way to go the new road disc sets are just to expensive :(

A fork that can't lock is not worth having. Simply because even el cheapo coil forks can lock out.

Get the more expensive fork. Like wheels a good fork and shock are worth every penny.

My Van R can't lock out, and it's very much worth having - it's saved me from my lack of talent more times than I can remember. Plush as hell and can take big hits without fear.

I've also seen a good number of forks that can lock that are utter rubbish.

OP - post specs or the make and model, you'll get a far more useful opinion.

Zero all the way. Not for the fork - the only difference there is the lockout - but for the higher spec on groupset and brakes. Worth the extra coin since there's less to upgrade if the bug bites.

If (when?) you do start the upgrade process, start on the fork and you'll have a bike that performs as well as something that retails for twice as much. Forks are the first place manufacturers start saving money, and you can pick up something second hand for not too much that'll kick the stock fork to touch.

Happy trails...

My Van R can't lock out, and it's very much worth having - it's saved me from my lack of talent more times than I can remember. Plush as hell and can take big hits without fear.

I've also seen a good number of forks that can lock that are utter rubbish.

OP - post specs or the make and model, you'll get a far more useful opinion.

Your Van R costs as much as the entire bike he is contemplating.

Your Enduro fork may be all kinds of awesome but isn't that great for road riding and is in a different league to the Suntour forks he is looking at.

But you are right between the two on those models there is little difference and he won't feel much benefit from the lockout when punishing Sabie or Barberton climbs.

Your Van R costs as much as the entire bike he is contemplating.

Your Enduro fork may be all kinds of awesome but isn't that great for road riding and is in a different league to the Suntour forks he is looking at.

But you are right between the two on those models there is little difference and he won't feel much benefit from the lockout when punishing Sabie or Barberton climbs.

Dude you made an unsubstantiated comment about non-lockout equipped forks being not worth anything, then Droo came and countered your BS story. Now you come in saying his fork without lockout is only good 'cos it costs so much?

Nah. BS mate. Lockout is not necessary for road riding. End of. To say that a fork is worth nothing if it doesn't have lockout is also BS.

Saying that the fork should be upgraded at the earliest opportunity, now that's NOT BS.

Looking at buying the giant revel 29er 1 or revel 29er 0.

The one has a lockout fork and the other doesnt.I will mainly be riding on the road with a little trail riding.There is a price diff of R1500 between these bikes.Is it worth spending the extra for lockout forks?

If you are going to be mainly riding on the road, pump them up harder. When are going off road, let them down to what they should be.

Do you need lock out? No.

If you were alternating between the two regularly (i.e. on each ride some tar some off road) then sure.

But what I suggest is something like this, since majority riding will be road riding. Why buy bike according to minority type riding, when you will be doing long stretches on road, most of the time.

http://www.on-one.co.uk/files/oo/blogs/original/1NY8ZZDX-MonsterBikecopy.jpg

That's nice

Dude you made an unsubstantiated comment about non-lockout equipped forks being not worth anything, then Droo came and countered your BS story. Now you come in saying his fork without lockout is only good 'cos it costs so much?

Nah. BS mate. Lockout is not necessary for road riding. End of. To say that a fork is worth nothing if it doesn't have lockout is also BS.

Saying that the fork should be upgraded at the earliest opportunity, now that's NOT BS.

No, I never said non lockout forks are worth nothing. I said non lockout forks on cheap bikes tend to be bottom of the range and worth nothing.

As is the case here. You can't compare a non lockout Van R to a suntour of that price.

And I also said his Van R is a crappy fork for road riding no matter the cost. It is. It's also not my first choice for marathon riding but probably great for trails and Enduro. Horses for courses. Ride what you want.