Do i need lockout forks for mtb road riding?

Saflyfish

Looking at buying the giant revel 29er 1 or revel 29er 0.

The one has a lockout fork and the other doesnt.I will mainly be riding on the road with a little trail riding.There is a price diff of R1500 between these bikes.Is it worth spending the extra for lockout forks?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking at buying the giant revel 29er 1 or revel 29er 0.

The one has a lockout fork and the other doesnt.I will mainly be riding on the road with a little trail riding.There is a price diff of R1500 between these bikes.Is it worth spending the extra for lockout forks?

To be blunt no because a mountain bike should never bs riden on the road. Buy a road bike :ph34r:

Well even forks that have a lockout option does not lock out completely. They usually have about 10-20mm travel in lockout mode and according to me a fork wont bob that much on the road unless the pressure in the fork is totally wrong. I'd say no you don't need to buy a lockout fork especially for road riding but if you have the extra cash available it might be a nice option

Why don't you get a carbon rigid fork?

The bike will be much lighter & it'll maybe even make people not notice the Giant sticker to much ;)

Edited by mrbaker

It will depend on yourself & what you prefer. (Riding style)

If you are not a racer you dont really 'need' a lockout (imo)

I ride a 150mm full suspension bike (do light to medium trail riding) & honestly speaking- I can't remember when was the last time i used the lockout.

How much better is the spec (drive train etc.) on the bike with the lockout fork?

I will never pay R1500 for a lockout only.

When I started cycling a friend advised me to always buy as 'expensive' as you can as the upgrades will cost you more in the long run.

Didn't.listen to his advice 1st time around. I do now.

As far as I know, that 1500 difference is also because the cheaper of the giants has mechanical disc brakes and the other has mechanical, my lbs stocks giant a mate has been looking so that's what we have seen... Just double check

No

when I put it on (when I remember ), I only remember to turn it off once I hit the 1st jump/rock garden at high speed, lol. I have it, but rarely use it anymore and that is on a 160mm fork.

no for the lockout, but yes for the hydraulic disk brakes over the mechanical disc brakes. like comparing the brakes on a citi golf to theABs brakes on a new polo.

Was asking myself this same thing, my bike has a lockout but I took off the remote lever because I never used it and if I did it was just an irritation because 50m on and I wished it was off due to some bumpy section. Zealot racer are those who may use a lockout, normal riders want ever last inch of plushness on every last part of the trail, I find plush shocks help even on steeper inclines as you can hold your direction and motion easier when riding over bumps and roots/rocks etc.

On the road a lockout may be helpful but not very necessary, a plush fork just seems to help not hurt, a lockout or platform pedal setting on the back shock is more important I'd say.

Edited by Skylark

But what I suggest is something like this, since majority riding will be road riding. Why buy bike according to minority type riding, when you will be doing long stretches on road, most of the time.

http://www.on-one.co.uk/files/oo/blogs/original/1NY8ZZDX-MonsterBikecopy.jpg

I would say YES!

Lock your shock at every possible opportunity, esp on the road, on every climb and obviously when you stand.

I would go so far as to say your shock should be locked as a standard setting and only unlocked when really needed.( OK not really, but always on the tar)

Every little bop sucks energy.