2014 Giant Trance 27.5 2

nolipoli

...and just when I thought I had made up my mind to buy the 2014 next week :/ now this has got me thinking.

Tell me - is the trance 27.5 a good all rounder for riding Tygerberg Mountain Biking hills with the odd races (for fun) throughout the year...cause curiosity has gotten me to look at the Anthem X1 29er as well..?

I have just got the Anthem X 29er and absolutely love it!!!!

Maybe try and get a test ride on both and take it from there.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have just got the Anthem X 29er and absolutely love it!!!!

Maybe try and get a test ride on both and take it from there.

The 2015 or 2014? (pretty much same bike, just different colour). Was told that the 2015 arrive up here end of September/1st week of October. Can't wait to get mine. They going to sell like hot cakes!!

I went for the 29er because I think it would suit the type of riding I do (XC/Stage races etc.). The Trance is a VERY competent bike as well and probably more suited for more technical stuff and downhill!

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/_generated/_generated_us/bikes/models/images/2000/2015/Anthem-X-29er-Dark-Blue.jpg

...and just when I thought I had made up my mind to buy the 2014 next week :/ now this has got me thinking.

Tell me - is the trance 27.5 a good all rounder for riding Tygerberg Mountain Biking hills with the odd races (for fun) throughout the year...cause curiosity has gotten me to look at the Anthem X1 29er as well..?

I reckon the Trance would be the perfect bike for Tygerberg. Nothing flat on those trails - all up and down and twisty.

The 2015 or 2014? (pretty much same bike, just different colour). Was told that the 2015 arrive up here end of September/1st week of October. Can't wait to get mine. They going to sell like hot cakes!!

I went for the 29er because I think it would suit the type of riding I do (XC/Stage races etc.). The Trance is a VERY competent bike as well and probably more suited for more technical stuff and downhill!

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/_generated/_generated_us/bikes/models/images/2000/2015/Anthem-X-29er-Dark-Blue.jpg

I got the very last large 2014 Anthem X in the country.

Was a frame replacement through an insurance claim of cracking the top tube on my carbon hardtail.

I never tried the 27.5 but I am happy and find the 29er to be comfortable and it suits my riding style too.

Mine is black with minor silver decals. Love it.

I do XC, Marathon, Trail, pretty much anything and everything.

Getting my new 2014 Giant contact swithch dropper next week too, can't wait!!!!!

Any thoughts on running the Trance with 160mm up front and 140mm at rear?

The SX comes with a Talas 140-160mm fork so the frame should be able to take it.

Any thoughts on running the Trance with 160mm up front and 140mm at rear?

The SX comes with a Talas 140-160mm fork so the frame should be able to take it.

Yes, but get the travel adjust Pike. I use the travel adjust on my Fox all the time on my Reign when climbing. I have realized that on some trails, the shorter travel position is actually better for going fast. Think tight not very grippy single track with limited gradient.

I got the very last large 2014 Anthem X in the country.

Was a frame replacement through an insurance claim of cracking the top tube on my carbon hardtail.

I never tried the 27.5 but I am happy and find the 29er to be comfortable and it suits my riding style too.

Mine is black with minor silver decals. Love it.

I do XC, Marathon, Trail, pretty much anything and everything.

Getting my new 2014 Giant contact swithch dropper next week too, can't wait!!!!!

This is it:

post-35569-0-60342900-1410428936_thumb.jpg

Yes, but get the travel adjust Pike. I use the travel adjust on my Fox all the time on my Reign when climbing. I have realized that on some trails, the shorter travel position is actually better for going fast. Think tight not very grippy single track with limited gradient.

Yeah I will try.

LBS has a black Pike dual position. I'm skeptical, didn't know they came in black.

Yeah I will try.

LBS has a black Pike dual position. I'm skeptical, didn't know they came in black.

From what I see on the website they come in black and white.

Yeah I will try.

Black was pretty much the standard colour for the Pike. White wasn't as available initially, AFAIK. But then, I could be talking out my arse.

Cool guys.

Bike ordered.

2015 Trance 2 + Dropper + Pike Dual Position (black).

May just get new bars, stem and tyres as well.

Cool guys.

Bike ordered.

2015 Trance 2 + Dropper + Pike Dual Position (black).

May just get new bars, stem and tyres as well.

The bars and stem were pretty decent at the stock level IIRC. But yes - get rid of those stock Nobbys and get some Snakeskin versions of them ASAP!!!

Thought it would be around there.

It's a lot of money if you consider the bike is double that.

Its a lot but all forks are retarded in price.

If you are riding rough terrain a noodle fork is enough to put you off riding the rough stuff. A 160mm 35mm super plush fork will certainly make the bike feel way more capable down hill and then, at a turn of a nob you can lower it to 130mm and climb with ease. well this is what I am hoping!

Archived