Who are the legends and heroes of SA Mountain biking?

SoftTail

I know of a certain hubber who takes time out of his personal life to help build and maintain trails at Tokai.

This selfless generosity cost him a knee recently, as he blew out his knee in a build day.

So Him and people like him, the unofficial trail riders that help on weekends keep trails maintained etc, also deserve a mention.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Steve Bowman - one of our first pro MTBer's

Neil Bradford - super talent and still racing with the pro's

They both super nice guys

I know of a certain hubber who takes time out of his personal life to help build and maintain trails at Tokai.

This selfless generosity cost him a knee recently, as he blew out his knee in a build day.

So Him and people like him, the unofficial trail riders that help on weekends keep trails maintained etc, also deserve a mention.

how about a hubber who supports up and coming cycling talent? take a bow wayne...

I'll nominate Derek Palmer. This man was very involved with Gauteng mountain biking in the 90s.

One could also spot him with his red Nissan hard body out marking trails in fountains valley for all the provincials and nationals.

Hmmm... some of the people getting listed as legends makes me feel old, and I'm not old, just been around the industry a while.

My list:

Burry, Greg, Needles... for obvious reasons

Meurant Botha - Dirtopia, Amarider and a huge chunk of the trails in the Cape

Dimitri Nenkov - Omnimotion 24hour, and many other races back in the day

Terry Spinman - the original mtb media man

Brett Coates - Sabie Classic etc

Dylan Victor - Represented SA in more than one discipline, probably still our best Trials rider, bike shop owner

Robbie Powell, Chris Nixon - Downhill pioneers

Wayne Hayward - Best local based photographer (until he moved to the states a few years ago), mtb nutter, covered every mtb, road, sprogs race in this country, and rode many of them too.

Gary Perkin and Sven Martin - SA's world class mtb photographers, all round nice guys and bike nuts.

Erica Green - First mtb olympian if I recall, still runs cycling clinics and rides pretty seriously

Anne Pearton - Long the first lady of SA mountain biking, multiple senior age category world champ and mother to JP Pearton, imho probably the closest rider to Burry talent wise that SA has produced. Her other two boys can ride a bit too!

Michelle Lombardi - Top rider, Cape Epic mixed winner and made cycling look good while still being a hardcore rider.

Fritz Pienaar - Multiple SA Champ, Former bike shop owner, business owner and the man behind the biggest mtb series in the World.

Suzie & Herman Mills - Founders of Ride Magazine

Kevin Vermaak - Began the stage racing craze in SA and created the pinnacle event of world marathon Mtb right here in SA. Still remember watching his little video presentation at the Cycle Tour expo all those years ago when the Cape Epic was all but a dream

What about Frrritz Pienaar?

AFAIK he is behind the Adventurance organisation that brings us so many great events in these parts. Also participates in most of the events, and was a racer back in the day. Love what you do, do what you love!

Okay bar the cartel / competition commission saga. But look what came out of that: Buycycle

I disagree with this slightly as then you may as well lump all the event organisers.... Its fine to include pioneer event organisers, but i would not even include Karkloof in that listing and that is been going for a lot longer than the nissan series

The Spruit Fairy (think he wants to remain anonymous but a lot of people know who he is)

Manages to find time between his Job, his family and training to go fix up the trails, make new trails and make the current trails safer.

If everyone put in half as much effort and money as he does all the trails in SA would be INSANE

Yes definitely the Spruit Fairy and all of his helpers. They quietly do an amazing job and all of us love them for it. They make the world a better place for everybody who loves the Spruit.

Well being new to this I don't know many names... But one name I've heard time and again is that of Sean Lawrence. If we talking about unsung heroes he is most definitely one of them. Few ppl have I met with such passion and love for the sport with the willingness to part with their time and knowledge. He is an awesome instructor and sliick at what he does! For those who live in Jozi and want to get into riding or just get better at their skills Sean is your guy. He won't disappoint!????????

Interresting that by seeing who people are nominating you can see how long they been mtbiking for.

Craig Pritcher

Edited by stringbean

Well being new to this I don't know many names... But one name I've heard time and again is that of Sean Lawrence. If we talking about unsung heroes he is most definitely one of them. Few ppl have I met with such passion and love for the sport with the willingness to part with their time and knowledge. He is an awesome instructor and sliick at what he does! For those who live in Jozi and want to get into riding or just get better at their skills Sean is your guy. He won't disappoint!

+1