Why don't they create bike paths running alongside the Gautrain?

arabsandals

It seems to me it would be an easy solution. The infrastructure is already there, all they'd have to do would be to cut a trail and allow for access while fencing off the actual rail line.

Surely it's not just me?

There has already been talk of cycle lanes in Joburg. This would be easy (comparatively) to roll out and very safe. It would make commuting so easy. You just need to ride to your nearest access point and then zoom away without worrying about traffic.

Edited by arabsandals

not a bad idea as the roads already exist for the service vehicles. Im just not to sure how safe it will be though. The gautrains cables have been stolen a few times. Just imagine the chaos when all of us ride through there with our expensive bikes as well

Surely this, at it's very worst, would be far less chaotic than having cyclists on the roads? Also, it can't be any more dangerous than it already is to ride on the roads?

Because they cant think laterally - look at all the empty buses driving around.

as opposed to our buses being quite full, down here... Strange that. Will probably just take a small amount of uptake for people to take an interest in them, then WHAM. People just start using them as a reasonable alternative. Unless you have a job that requires extensive travel, that is...

Imagine being able to jump on a dirt road here in Jhb and cycle all the way through to Pretoria without having to worry about cars! Logistically longer training rides would just be so much easier