Kliprug Section CLOSED

BrandonF_

One of my favourite sections on the TBMTB trails, closed due to an idiots response to landowner rules. Well done buddy, I hope you are pleased.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lets hope the twat is man enough to come forward, him and his dumb ass mate. Seems there may be other trail closures if people continue behave like tjops :cursing:

Too many riders take the Tygerberg trails for granted and/or access them illegally (i.e. without valid member board displayed). And not enough members have the courage to self-police. I have to confess that sometimes I fall into the latter category, as I want to enjoy my ride and not confront riders without membership boards.

The reason we can enjoy SECURE riding is because most of the trails and access corridors (90%+) are on private property. And on the landowners' terms and conditions. Their land - their rules.

My concern is the potential domino effect, as all these land owners are neighbours and talk to each other.

I hope the said rider was a member, and that he/she is named, shamed and banned. If he/she was not a member, it cannot bode well for regaining land access rights.

Too many riders take the Tygerberg trails for granted and/or access them illegally (i.e. without valid member board displayed). And not enough members have the courage to self-police. I have to confess that sometimes I fall into the latter category, as I want to enjoy my ride and not confront riders without membership boards.

The reason we can enjoy SECURE riding is because most of the trails and access corridors (90%+) are on private property. And on the landowners' terms and conditions. Their land - their rules.

My concern is the potential domino effect, as all these land owners are neighbours and talk to each other.

I hope the said rider was a member, and that he/she is named, shamed and banned. If he/she was not a member, it cannot bode well for regaining land access rights.

It was a member and his mate that abused the landowner. No way of knowing who it was though as they were to far away to have the board number taken down. So because of two idiots they have ruined it for the masses.

There is also talk of another trail being closed because of people taking the piss.

When did idots start MTB'ing, we are turning this sport into one of the most hated and snobbish things around. Might actually get the real down to earth oaks on the golf course these days.

Shocking

I'm also guilty of not confronting non members, but after this and before we loose all our priviledges riding these amazing and safe trails, stuff that, I will approach every non member I see. On the Green Corridors they are not allowed at all, a bit tricky on the actual trails, as they can just lie and say they've put money in the honesty box, but nevertheless, I'm not prepared to loose the pleasure of riding these trails because of idiots with no manners

they should just make the trails members only. Then anyone on the trail without a bike board can be arrested for trespassing. There are enough other places for non-members to ride. I know this incident wasn't non-member related, but it seems the non-member/non-paying issue is a big part of the landowners frustrations.

This event has also made me wonder if the business model of TBMTBC isn't possibly on a weak foundation in terms land access and land use rights? Given the financial size of the club, one would hope that land privileges are contractually secured, and that land owners cannot unilaterally terminate those privileges outside of agreed contractual terms. So if there is breach (or continued breach), the club has a mechanism (and obligation) to remedy that breach and only if it then fails to do so, does the land access and use right terminate. But if I were a land owners in the Tygerberg trails area, why would I put myself into such a contractual straight jacket without any real commercial upside?

I'm also guilty of not confronting non members, but after this and before we loose all our priviledges riding these amazing and safe trails, stuff that, I will approach every non member I see. On the Green Corridors they are not allowed at all, a bit tricky on the actual trails, as they can just lie and say they've put money in the honesty box, but nevertheless, I'm not prepared to loose the pleasure of riding these trails because of idiots with no manners

I am a non memeber. For what reasons do you feel the need to confront us non memebers. I pay and ride the trails, nothing wrong with that.

Surfer if you are a non member on a members only section then yes you should be confronted.

The SGM to discuss the setting of fees for next year is next week. I imagine this will have a large impact on what the outcome will be. It does not seem that club will be entering in to discussions on the night so perhaps those of you who have queries ought to email the Commitee in the hope they will answer you.

they should just make the trails members only. Then anyone on the trail without a bike board can be arrested for trespassing. There are enough other places for non-members to ride. I know this incident wasn't non-member related, but it seems the non-member/non-paying issue is a big part of the landowners frustrations.

That would be very counter-productive. I dont go there often enough to warrant being a member, and go with my mates very infrequently. Should Tokai only allow people in Activity Cards?

That would be very counter-productive. I dont go there often enough to warrant being a member, and go with my mates very infrequently. Should Tokai only allow people in Activity Cards?

if it's the only way to keep the trails open, then yes. Tokai is public land though (Sanparks) isn't it, so it's a different situation to Tygerberg which is all private land.

I am a non memeber. For what reasons do you feel the need to confront us non memebers. I pay and ride the trails, nothing wrong with that.

For the simple reason of standing in the carpark of Hoogekraal, for one, and seeing atleast 9 non members going past the honesty box, enjoying the trails without any contribution or realization of the effort put in and maintaning these trails. If you pay the honesty box, good on you, stay honest, this world needs it.