DC and the white line

stratus5

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So instead of going single file over the white line you echelon and take up the WHOLE road instead of making your footpring as small as possible? You son need a darwin award for that!

I think the problem here is two conflicting goals - staying safe and breaking the course record.

Thornman and his team did well to break it considering the many obstacles on the way.

I think the problem here is two conflicting goals - staying safe and breaking the course record.

Thornman and his team did well to break it considering the many obstacles on the way.

Same as any funride in SA? There's okes out there having a good time and see it as a social ride, and okes across all groups chasing a time or a PB or whatever other goal.

Does the rule differentiate between a solid and broken white line?

It doesn't appear so.

8. A cyclist shall not cross the median (whether the median is marked or not) of any road unless the road is closed to other traffic.

Same as any funride in SA? There's okes out there having a good time and see it as a social ride, and okes across all groups chasing a time or a PB or whatever other goal.

No, not even remotely the same.

No, not even remotely the same.

Guess I'd have to ride it to find out for sure then, but from the bitching trolling complaining here it seems more or less the same.

If "EVERY" team trangress like this...does it make it right?? :eek: or is it still breaking the rules??

Who decides which rules apply? And when a team can break them?

Guess I'd have to ride it to find out for sure then, but from the bitching trolling complaining here it seems more or less the same.

This team was trying to win the event, and break the course record, and they spent a lot of time and money on achieving this. You wouldn't expect the pros in $ to start the Argus at 10am and have them to ride around groups A through ZZ, slowing down when necessary to allow for oncoming traffic. This is the situation we have.

If they can't resolve the issues with the racing teams they should scrap the prizes and concede that what they have is a funride. They've already put a compulsory picnic in the middle of the event.

This team was trying to win the event, and break the course record, and they spent a lot of time and money on achieving this. You wouldn't expect the pros in $ to start the Argus at 10am and have them to ride around groups A through ZZ, slowing down when necessary to allow for oncoming traffic. This is the situation we have.

If they can't resolve the issues with the racing teams they should scrap the prizes and concede that what they have is a funride. They've already put a compulsory picnic in the middle of the event.

Ah. Thanks for explaining concisely.

But that 'picnic' was soooooooo nice :clap:

it's a wonder that this event has survived for so long in S'dam. it usually gets booted out of town after 2 years. they tolerate the congestion for one year, the PPA promise to improve for the next (but don't take into account the selfish nature of cyclists). then the town fathers decide the money isn't worth the trouble and pass them to another town in the flat lands. where to next ? heidelberg or riversdale.

it's a wonder that this event has survived for so long in S'dam. it usually gets booted out of town after 2 years. they tolerate the congestion for one year, the PPA promise to improve for the next (but don't take into account the selfish nature of cyclists). then the town fathers decide the money isn't worth the trouble and pass them to another town in the flat lands. where to next ? heidelberg or riversdale.

So you argue the fact the town is flooded with 3,000 cyclists + support crew + some family who basically book out all the hotels & guesthouses for a weekend, fill up all the restaurants & support the shops in the area is not worth a bit of congestion on a Saturday-morning.

S'dam's town fathers must be real idiots...

The problem is not a cyclist attitude problem as much as it is a sheer mathematical one.

With the reverse order start and the wide range of skill/ability you often have 3 or 4 teams passing around the same time. Throw in a puncture or 2 and you do the work all over again. Roughly 2600 riders should constitute full road closure, but closing the R62 would not be possible as there are no alternative routes to accommodate other road users. With road closures not being feasible perhaps the answer is to spread the event over 2 weekends. Have the 100 non-seeded teams start in 3 or 4 batches on a non-timetrial basis (ala spring classic race) and on the first weekend and have the team time trial for the 100 top teams on the second race. The top 5 mens, mixed and ladies teams in the non-timetrial gets an invite to the second race, provided that at least 75% of the team remains the same from one weekend to the next. I would also look to reduce the team sizes to 10 per team.

There is only one way to make this event work without "cheating" that is to run it like a non drafting triathlon. Teams to be 10 metres apart at all times, must complete the pass within a specific time and pull 10 past before cutting back in, then the other team needs to drop out of the slip (ie not race up to latch on).

I know, its logistically almost impossible, but this is the only way to prevent groups forming. Bigger gaps between start groups and seeding to combine a fast and slow team at each start slot would also help a bit, but the top 10 racing teams should go off first, 5 min gaps and at least 5 bike marshals

I found guys on mtb rode 3 abreast and refused to move over and then got all agro when every team that approaches them to keep left. Take a hint.

You should've called "Track"....

:whistling: