LBS: We have a 5 % handling fee on returns.

lone.*

Last Friday I bought an press fit bb set not knowing you get them for SRAM and Shimano in different sizes. Within 20 minutes of paying for it I phone the LBS and alerted them to the fact that they have given me the wrong type. I did mention it was supposed to be for an Shimano XT crank.

Took it back on Monday as they did not have the correct item in stock and the owner of the establishment informs me that they have a 5 % handling fee on returns policy. I cannot recall seeing the relative signage communicating this fact.

I however explained to the owner that the wrong part was supplied upon which decides to wave the 5% handling fee as if he is doing me a huge favour.

The owner carries on about the sales person having to have the item checked to make sure that nothing is missing and that they can still sell it.

I do not think Mr. Owner knows that his sales person knows me for a long time and is the reason I was shopping from him. The sales person only started working there a month or so ago.

One of the things of course that comes to mind is the consumer protection act.

Another thing is that the owner seems to have this habit of looking down his nose at his clients.

Mr. Owner I hope you realise that you have lost a customer for life as I will not be buying from you again as I am sh*t scared that you will come up with some nonsense like this.

I also do not buy things to steal small parts from them.

And you do not have to have the attitude of you are the king and I am peasant. It is the other way round . I am the King whose cash you want.

It is such a pity you changed your mind as I wanted to name you on this forum and warn other "Kings" about you.

At first I was very impressed with your shop but you sure as hell kicked a dent into that one.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5% of the value to check for missing small parts..

a rigid frame without a fork. zero small parts. 5%

a rear mech, with a million small parts, 5%

Vastly different amounts of effort to check for small parts, but you pay way more with the former. i see the logic here.

Is this 5% in his Terms & Condition of Sale? Where are these T&C?

if not, they maybe the CPA will cover

CPA wouldn't apply here since in this case it only covers the return of defective goods. The owner can make whatever policy he wants about returning non-defective goods. He could quite legally refuse to take them back at all.

CPA wouldn't apply here since in this case it only covers the return of defective goods. The owner can make whatever policy he wants about returning non-defective goods. He could quite legally refuse to take them back at all.

yes but,.... normally a retailer would/should cover themselves and have a policy, certainly if the part was special order from a supplier that took time and resources to source/stock and has to be GRC'ed to the supplier and therefore they should reserve the right to charge a handling fee for goods returned (in sellable condition) to at least cover some of their time.

Otherwise a 5% handling fee on a stock item is plain silly/petty and not going to make any friends.

Edited by kosmonooit

It was your negligence, not theirs. They are allowed to charge you.

http://www.info.gov.za/view/DownloadFileAction?id=99961

Link to the CPA .

Section 20 (2) d could apply here if they were told what make was needed which was apparently done.

Legal or not, it's a douche bag move...

This is why places like cycle lab will really succeed with the corporate backing... At least there you know you won't feel like you're in a lbs, but won't get the stupid crap like you do at some of the lbs around.

Out of the 10 shops I've visited in jhb, walked straight out of 3 thanks to them glancing in my direction as i walked in,then carried on thier conversation to thier mates...

Another one got upset when i asked him to match cycle labs pricing... On a tyre. I ended up at cycle lab anyway (where i absolutely loathe spending money).

Unfortunately it seems most lbs owners nowadays dont care for less seasoned riders who perhaps dont have 40k to drop on a whim.... I get a whiff of "i was once a pro so the cycle world owes me" kinda feeling.

Abd thats why i refuse to support them as far as i possibly can...

Guest Latent Blue

Unfortunately it seems most lbs owners nowadays dont care for less seasoned riders who perhaps dont have 40k to drop on a whim.... I get a whiff of "i was once a pro so the cycle world owes me" kinda feeling.

I miss my LBS in Upington... excellent personal service... the guy would go the extra mile for every single customer. If I need something, I order it from him and pay him the postage... still cheaper

I visited "megastore"on Friday afternoon. Quiet with few customers. Looking to spend R2.5k on Wahoo Fitness products. Ask a sales guy for help as the product locked behind glass case. Told he was busy with another customer and would ask another sales attendant to assist. No problem and I wait for a couple of minutes.

Another salesman walks by and original salesman asks him to help me. Chap takes a look at me and walks off. The has-been owner sees this and follows salesman chatting about display. Guess what, walked out and will never enter "megastore" again.

I visited "megastore"on Friday afternoon. Quiet with few customers. Looking to spend R2.5k on Wahoo Fitness products. Ask a sales guy for help as the product locked behind glass case. Told he was busy with another customer and would ask another sales attendant to assist. No problem and I wait for a couple of minutes.

Another salesman walks by and original salesman asks him to help me. Chap takes a look at me and walks off. The has-been owner sees this and follows salesman chatting about display. Guess what, walked out and will never enter "megastore" again.

I Find this very hard to believe. I am not saying you are a liar but I know the guys pretty well and is not very likely that

You would be ignored if you asked to see something in a display case. Sure they are busy and the first guy stating he would find someone else to help may have forgotten due to the demands of the customer he was with for a moment or 2 but being ignored after being pointed out does not sound like the store I know. I may be wrong though but definitely suggest you go back and speak to Nick or Dean even if just to make them aware. They are extremely customer focused and I am willing to bet they will do everything they can to make it up to you, even if it's just from a personal attention point of view. Just my 2c worth.

Edited by DaddyG

As for the op, name and shame, the owner may be within his rights but sounds like a complete dick move to me. I would take my money elsewhere and let them know why. You can't change people being idiots unless they know they are being idiots and it's costing them money in the process. Or just for the sake of having a fight which is why I would do it :cursing:

Maybe the owner has been burnt before, hence the 5% return fee!

that may be, but why not take each case on its merits? Does he in fact check? is 5% irrespective of the item actually fair relative to the effort applied in checking? I'd hazard that in general, no: return a tyre lever. Zero other parts, 5% fee. Outlier examples aside, I dont like these types of practices because it smacks of something4nothing under the guise of due diligence. If a part's missing, dont accept the return. end of story. CPA covers the store owner in that regard.