Cycling protest in London for 6 recent deaths

Caerus

Over 1,000 cyclists stage ‘die-in’ protest

Demonstration comes after spate of rider deaths

http://img.thesun.co.uk/aidemitlum/archive/01861/cycle_1861863a.jpg

Protest ... the demonstrators gathered outside Transport for London's HQ

MORE than 1,000 cyclists lay across a central London road in a “die-in” protest against dangerous traffic conditions.

Demonstrators blocked roads outside Transport for London’s HQ in Southwark in tribute to the six cyclists killed in the capital this month alone.

Bikes were strewn across Blackfriars Road while others held candles as part of the 15-minute vigil.

http://img.thesun.co.uk/aidemitlum/archive/01861/cyc4_1861872a.jpg

Grisly ... a cyclist covered in fake blood ahead of the 'die-in' protest

http://img.thesun.co.uk/aidemitlum/archive/01861/cyc3_1861870a.jpg

Peril ... six cyclists have been killed in the capital this month alone

Stop Killing Cyclists protest organiser Donnachadh McCarthy, 54, hopes the plan will encourage more investment in safe transport infrastructure.

He said: “We are here because Londoners are fed up of being killed. We need to have modern, European, safe cycling network.

“We believe it’s a human right for children and pensioners to cycle around our city safely, and at the moment they can’t.

“We have brought the battle to TfL’s headquarters because these are the people making the decisions. We want representations and we want real funding. We want £600 million a year spent on safer cycling in London.”

http://img.thesun.co.uk/aidemitlum/archive/01861/cyc2_1861865a.jpg

Danger ... the number of cyclists killed in London this year now stands at 14

Brian Holt, 62, Francis Golding, 69, Roger William De Klerk, 43, Venera Minakhmetova, 24, a 21-year-old man from St John’s Wood and a man believed to be in his 60s all died between November 5 and 18.

The number of cyclists killed in London so far this year now stands at 14.

TfL Surface Transport managing director Leon Daniels said one of the protesters’ key demands – segregated cycle routes – will be introduced over the next 10 years.[/color][/color]

Edited by Caerus

That was my cousin at number three on the list :(

Sorry about your loss buddie!

Very powerfull message in that protest action! Well done!

That was my cousin at number three on the list :(

sorry to hear that Stretch, condolences to you and your family.

Hopefully protests like this means the victims don't die in vain, and the awareness can be worldwide.

Edited by Uni

Sorry about your loss buddie!

Very powerfull message in that protest action! Well done!

sorry to hear that Stretch, condolences to you and your family.

Hopefully protests like this means the victims don't die in vain, and the awareness can be worldwide.

Thanks..as I mentioned in a previous thread the problem in London is more to do with traffic volumes as opposed to inconsiderate driving as a result of a lack of traffic enforcement as we have in this country. The net result in London is that if something goes wrong on your bike you WILL hit a car

Condolences to all families.

Have to say on my frequent visits to London, I have often thought that people must be crazy to cycle there.

Too little road with too many cars, driving too fast...

STRETCH SORRY ABOUT YOUR LOSS "great" action " i dont know so much. motorists already hate us with a passion yes they do have reason, there are lots of tonsils who ride bikes,,,,,but every motorist who sat in there car that day HAS ANOTHER REASON TO HATE US MORE :blush: :blush:

Edited by dipslick

Great job by the poms here. It would be great to see this level of pro-active organisation and co-ordination in Cape Town for example. Quite a lot that you could do for cycling with £600 million squid.

Edited by Lucky Luke.