How to convert semi-open gear cable to fully enclosed (MTB)

johanpre44

I recently got a new frame which requires full cable outers from shifters to derailleurs. Looks very tidy with the added benefit of no dust/water/mud getting into the cable outer. No shifting issues in muddy MTB conditions. With my old frame I struggled a bit to keep the dirt out of the cable outer at the rear derailleur, shifting sometimes got very hard/stiff.

I had a look at a friends bike on Friday and was shocked at how much he struggles with shifting. His bike is still not cleaned since the 94.7 MTB challenge and the shifting is almost impossible! His frame still use the semi-open cable routing.

Have anyone converted their cable setup to a more full outer setup? I did some Googling and did not find too much, except for some cable holders that screw into the cable bosses (not too neat) and cables (like Gore Ride-on) that still use the cable bosses but somehow seals the cables properly. I know that he will prefer a tidy setup that do not require any modification to his frame.

Any suggestions?

There were some posts about this sometime ago. You basically have to very carefully drill out the lugs on the frame where the outer cables currently end, so that the continuous outers can pass through. A Dremel tool might do the trick.

I recently got a new frame which requires full cable outers from shifters to derailleurs. Looks very tidy with the added benefit of no dust/water/mud getting into the cable outer. No shifting issues in muddy MTB conditions. With my old frame I struggled a bit to keep the dirt out of the cable outer at the rear derailleur, shifting sometimes got very hard/stiff.

I had a look at a friends bike on Friday and was shocked at how much he struggles with shifting. His bike is still not cleaned since the 94.7 MTB challenge and the shifting is almost impossible! His frame still use the semi-open cable routing.

Have anyone converted their cable setup to a more full outer setup? I did some Googling and did not find too much, except for some cable holders that screw into the cable bosses (not too neat) and cables (like Gore Ride-on) that still use the cable bosses but somehow seals the cables properly. I know that he will prefer a tidy setup that do not require any modification to his frame.

Any suggestions?

+1 for drilling out the bosses, is the neatest solution

Edited by shaper

There were some posts about this sometime ago. You basically have to very carefully drill out the lugs on the frame where the outer cables currently end, so that the continuous outers can pass through. A Dremel tool might do the trick.

after drilling what do you use the keep the cables in place?

after drilling what do you use the keep the cables in place?

You only drill open the one end, so the existing lugs would still be there, but will allow a cable to pass through.

Noooooooo!

Drilling out the enclosed ends is the only solution.

Another easier option is to saw the very end of the of the lug off so that you only remove the closed part that the cable housing stops against. This can be done very slowly and carefully with a hacksaw or angle grinder if you are brave enough. One can tape a pice of thin metal like a pice of a jam tin to the frame just at the point where the saw would touch if it slips off.

Edited by jimmycool

You only drill open the one end, so the existing lugs would still be there, but will allow a cable to pass through.

cool thanks :thumbup:

Would this void your warranty on the frame?

I really like my Cannondale Flash, but the cable routing is crap and I'm now really struggling with shifting at the back. So also looking to convert to full cable housing.

2 ways...

drilling them to a bigger diameter.....quickest way but cowboy

filling one by one to desired diameter with rat tail files...get a set at your local builders warehouse....

Both will void the warranty unfortunately

3 ways, of which 1 & 2 are already mentioned.

1) dremmel tool

2) cable ties.

3) if you are lucky enough to get your hands on these since they stopped making them in Dec 2012.

EDIT: 3) variant mentioned by Hunter Hearst Helmsley above.

Edited by Ricky Bobby

Would this void your warranty on the frame?

I really like my Cannondale Flash, but the cable routing is crap and I'm now really struggling with shifting at the back. So also looking to convert to full cable housing.

I very much think it will void the warranty, but just insure the frame and all is good...

2 ways...

drilling them to a bigger diameter.....quickest way but cowboy - Did it once, but won't do it again

filling one by one to desired diameter with rat tail files...get a set at your local builders warehouse.... - Thought of doing this to make it as neat as possible.

Both will void the warranty unfortunately - Whaaaat?

Can't really see it would make the frame to break easier, but I guess it's the term "frame alteration" & they can't pass / overlook 1 way of alteration & not the other in case of warranty claim.