Are you ready for a Big MTB Year?

Matt

Our aim was to create a Mountain Bike Event which takes place over the whole of South Africa over a period of one year. This is the idea. We were then faced with the ‘how do you control this?’ questions. Various options were looked at and the App development was the perfect solution.

For any MTB event people pay an entry fee, some up to R50 000. The App was developed, not as a stand-alone, general use App, but rather an event specific App to control the event and nothing more. The purchase price of the App must therefore be seen as the entry fee into the event and not as the purchase of an App. We are therefore not promoting the sale of the App, but rather enter the Big MTB Year event for a mere R199.00. To do this we must change people’s mind sets from ‘Free App’ to ‘Enter an event’. The price comparison must not be towards other Apps, but rather towards the entry fee of other events.

You’re entering a unique event in an unusual way, that’s all...

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Afrikaans people have a saying you should know well, it goes like this "jy sit alweer die pot mis"

For startres, nobody is judging any specific person, but you can be sure that some will and probably have already misunderstood the intention of this event.

They see their "name in lights" rather than an opportunity to explore their country and become part of a community.

You might be shocked at this news as well, but quite a number of people have bought cars this year to make their cycling more comfy.

Something tells me you took the comment a bit personal, sorry that you see it that way.

As for the gloves we wear, yes people put others in to groups, it's just how we stereotype, I had some baggy wearers with 6 inch travel bikes shout comments at me on The Spruit yesterday when I passed them up and downhill ,they didn't like it, I didn't stop to confront them.

Big year to me should equal big fun and yes unfortunately it will cost big money and for those who have families it will also require some big sacrifices.

But I will say it again, to some Big Year = mediocre riders hoping to get their name in lights.

Yes, everyone to their own.

So naaks as wat die gedagte is kan ek se ek sit op die pot. For me it is just strange that 1 of the 1st things you say is to judge the type of people that would do this event. Quoting you "attention whores" and "name in lights". I don't understand why you would do that. Or do you know of specific person or 2 that is already 'bragging' about them winning this thing? Who are he/she/they?

Like I have said time after time I don't take anything said on here personal (most things in general). I would just love if people would just start judging others less. (My reply wasn't too defend myself but more of shocked feeling why that would be your 1st view on this). If you buy something new I don't say "he is just doing it to show off", I would rather say "I'm glad he loves his riding that much".

Regarding the okes on the 6" travel bikes... You should have turned the situation into a fun/funny one (challenged them on a race up and down that hill.... You know you would have kicked their but up, and maybe down too. ..it would have silenced them, or changed their view about you to a 'that's a fun oke'). Also remember many of the okes on those bikes are new to the sport. I sometimes pass some too (and you know how much I suck) and do jumps that they are to scared to try and you should hear their comments then "if a girl can do it we must be able to do it". I don't take that personally. I then stop and actually tell/show and encourage them to do it. If someone does something better than me I am very glad cause then I can learn from them.

And no, shocked is quite a big word, so deffo not shocked. I'm happy that people spend money on practical cars. Even if I would one day earn enough bucks to drive flashy cars I won't. (But that's nothing new)

You say: "Big Year = mediocre riders hoping to get their name in lights."

What is mediocre rider?

It is someone like me that isn't really good at anything but can do a bit of everything (which in some cases are more than quite a few people can do depending on style of riding).

Aren't you a mediocre rider when compared to most downhillers?

Isn't Greg Minnaar a mediocre rider compared to you on a single speed over 100km?

Lastly....I have not once got the impression that this event will put anyone in the lime light. ..or did I miss the launch dinner?

If we can't do something we should be happy for the ones who can and not lable them in the process.

I reckon this is a great way of getting people to ride different trails. R200 really isn't that much.. hey it's less than a dinner out at a restaurant.

And I know of at least on of those trails that has no admission fee :)

Edited by Gen

Point 1So naaks as way die gedagte is kan ek se ek sit op die pot. For me it is just strange that 1 of the 1st things you say is to judge the type of people that would do this event. Quoting you "attention whores" and "name in lights". I don't understand why you would do that. Or do you know of specific person or 2 that is already 'bragging' about them winning this thing? Who are he/she/they?

Point 2 Like I have said time after time I don't take anything said on here personal (most things in general). I would just love if people would just start judging others less. (My reply wasn't too defend myself but more of shocked feeling why that would be your 1st view on this). If you buy something new I don't say "he is just doing it to show off", I would rather say "I'm glad he loves his riding that much".

Point 3 Regarding the okes on the 6" travel bikes… You should have turned the situation into a fun/funny one (challenged them on a race up and down that hill…. You know you would have kicked their but up, and maybe down too. ..it would have silenced them, or changed their view about you to a 'that's a fun oke'). Also remember many of the okes on those bikes are new to the sport. I sometimes pass some too (and you know how much I suck) and do jumps that they are to scared to try and you should hear their comments then "if a girl can do it we must be able to do it". I don't take that personally. I then stop and actually tell/show and encourage them to do it. If someone does something better than me I am very glad cause then I can learn from them.

And no, shocked is quite a big word, so deffo not shocked. I'm happy that people spend money on practical cars. Even if I would one day earn enough bucks to drive flashy cars I won't. (But that's nothing new)

You say: "Big Year = mediocre riders hoping to get their name in lights."

What is mediocre rider?

It is someone like me that isn't really good at anything but can do a bit of everything (which in some cases are more than quite a few people can do depending on style of riding).

Aren't you a mediocre rider when compared to most downhillers?

Isn't Greg Minnaar a mediocre rider compared to you on a single speed over 100km?

Point 4 Lastly….I have not once got the impression that this event will put anyone in the lime light. ..or did I miss the launch dinner?

If we can't do something we should be happy for the ones who can and not lable them in the process.

Hayley, let's go at this point by point.

Apologies to the OP for a possible thread derail, but ultimately it's about the event.

1. I did not judge any person, I made a general comment, some here have actually seen and understood what I was referring to.

2. You say you didn't take it personal, yet you seem very offended, if you were less offended, you might have fallen under point 1 above.

3. Let's choose to grow up a little, you mentioned people being judged down even to their gloves, I used a situation to make an example out of it.

You, turning this in to a competition is now starting to explain why you took offense in this thread in the first place.

4. Again, if you understood my initial intention you would not have raised this point.

The biggest mistake I made was to correct your post where I scratched out the word RACE and then proceeded to give my impressions. I should have given my impressions in a seperate post and you would have been less offended and probably would not have taken it personal, so my sincerest apologies for that.

Finally, The Big Year.

I will say it again, I hope the attention whores and trophy hunters won't be all over this like a rash.

Alas it's not a race.

This is a great event with super opportunities to those who can afford the time and money to get involved in the event.

I am constantly irked by this whole "racing" phenomenon that dominates our sport.

I for one keep telling people I miss the old days where we went to what was then known as Classics.

We used to go to these classics to explore, enjoy the terrain ,meet up with mates and get to experience our country.

The Big Year is going to be just that and I can see this event brining us back to the heart of our sport, the original intent of why we ride MTB's.

To be one with nature, keep fit, see the country and have the thrill of being a kid again.

Sadly however, I see this same racing phenomenon creeping over in to this event and it's leader board.

If this was my event, I will give the top dog a pair of socks as a prize.

Your 1st post had nothing good in it and this (your previous post) had a few good things about the event. ...

My goal was achieved :D

Yes ,indeed you have proven to me that you are really the type of individual that will see it as a race or competition.

Michael Jackson said it best "Heal the world…………"

$24 for an app is outlandish ! All the information in the app is already publicly available, take a leaf from successful app's that follow a freemium model like Strava.

You won't be getting $24 out of me for an this app unfortunately and I doubt you will achieve critical mass at this price. Rather make the app/info free and then charge if people want to enter the competition once they are enticed and are using the app.

Just my 2c as an app developer..

Guest Travis.

$24 for an app is outlandish ! All the information in the app is already publicly available, take a leaf from successful app's that follow a freemium model like Strava.

You won't be getting $24 out of me for an this app unfortunately and I doubt you will achieve critical mass at this price. Rather make the app/info free and then charge if people want to enter the competition once they are enticed and are using the app.

Just my 2c as an app developer..

Kudos chap. I love it when people talk sense.

Could even rely on advertising for money?

Kudos chap. I love it when people talk sense.

Could even rely on advertising for money?

That too or in app purchases like how many of the successful games do it now, look at Plants vs Zombies 2 for example.. Make entering the competition an in app purchase for those who want to enter it. I would probably enter it under such a model as I would have had a feel for the app and seen that there is a large user community and is actually quite fun.

It's really hard to get people to part with the cash upfront, look at Strava, people laughed at the R50 p/m subscription for pro in the beginning but I know many people which are now pro subscribers after first using the app for a year or so for free.

That too or in app purchases like how many of the successful games do it now, look at Plants vs Zombies 2 for example.. Make entering the competition an in app purchase for those who want to enter it. I would probably enter it under such a model as I would have had a feel for the app and seen that there is a large user community and is actually quite fun.

It's really hard to get people to part with the cash upfront, look at Strava, people laughed at the R50 p/m subscription for pro in the beginning but I know many people which are now pro subscribers after first using the app for a year or so for free.

Sense...this post has alot of it.

I think the uptake would have been huge...pay to unlock certain trails or "secret" sections or even functionality....like with stick cricket / plants vs zombies etc etc. The free version would give you just enough to want more, and then you can go in app purchase route.

Sense...this post has alot of it.

I think the uptake would have been huge...pay to unlock certain trails or "secret" sections or even functionality....like with stick cricket / plants vs zombies etc etc. The free version would give you just enough to want more, and then you can go in app purchase route.

100% , in my personal experience I have spent way more on 'in app purchases' vs the old upfront model specifically on games. If the app is addictive people will buy "stuff" once immersed in it.

Some interesting reading here.

I'm not really a bike park type of rider and also don't enjoy riding with my phone.

So the BIG MTB Year is not gonna see me.

I do however like to keep track of where I ride, for how long and how far... But for that my Polar is fulfilling the service.

Strava > Create Section > Make Public > BAM!

Create Challenge > Time Frame = 356 days

Leaderboard

App Redundant <3