Are you ready for a Big MTB Year?

Matt

You need to ride with your phone

Short rides ok, but longer ones may be an issue.

I dont think the R260 price tag is too bad - nowadays a single day race is around there... will wait for some reviews though

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Short rides ok, but longer ones may be an issue.

I dont think the R260 price tag is too bad - nowadays a single day race is around there... will wait for some reviews though

It's only R200 on my side

R198.17 in Play Store. Still need to add trail entry for every ride and all the rest, but I like the idea. Cool concept and I'm sure the team behind it will tweak where necessary as feedback starts rolling in.

I'm in 2 minds about this. I'm a fulltime iOS and android developer, so I know what it takes to develop an app.

Personally I feel they've gone about this wrong.

Basically you're paying them to capture data for them. I had a quick look at the posts here and their website, and dont actually see much listed as prizes, so i'm guessing it will be wishy washy (a pair of socks or such like).

So what exactly am i getting for my R200?

I can see they're trying to build a database of trails and mtb routes, but to ask cyclists to pay them R200 for the pleasure of capturing that data? wtf? Are they high?

Dudes.... It isn't just for the app, it is for the entrance to the 'event/race/competition' too..... What do you okes pay for 94.7/Argus? (Which is an 1 day event? )

Fixed it for you.

I can see this event is gonna get the worlds biggest attention whores to come forward.

It's gonna cost them a lot of money, but they will be noticed.

Fixed it for you.

I can see this event is gonna get the worlds biggest attention whores to come forward.

It's gonna cost them a lot of money, but they will be noticed.

Careful with the words you are using.

Edited by hayleyearth

I like the idea. It is something new ans different, different type of challenge. I think something like this is needed and seriously R200 is not the end of the world if you like the challenge. You can only complain if you would actually accept the challenge.

As for Eco Bound capturing tour data, how, they already have the trails and that is all you ride, it's not Strava where they can see everywhere you ride.

I hope it takes off for them.

What are you getting for your R200?

• An entry to the event, which runs for 12 months (or R17 per month if you like).
  • The Big MTB Year app which is a convenient, pre-researched guide to 55 of SA’s best managed, marked trails. These will vary from year to year and will increase as the event grows.
  • The app is also your personal access ‘accreditation’ to the Big MTB Year event where you earn points, get ranked and become eligible to win prizes.
  • Prize-giving will be done monthly and include both regional and national rewards for quantity and consistency.
  • A high priority will be given to lucky draw prizes, making it possible for any Big MTB Year entrant to win something cool
  • Prizes are being sourced in conjunction with TREAD magazine and will only be prizes that mountain bikers covet. Prizes for Month 1 will be announced/listed by 21 December 2013.

The Big MTB Year is unique. We expect there to be skepticism and criticism. We understand that it may not be everyone’s ‘cup of tea’. We will do our best to answer all questions as they arise. Like any commercial event, the Big MTB Year is a business. We spent a year on the concept and the app development was costly. We appreciate the trust placed in us by those that have downloaded the app. With long-running, established mountain bike events such as Transbaviaans and To Hell and Back and an authoritative, respected media brand like TREAD, we have a proven track record that we are proud of. We will ensure that your first Big MTB Year is memorable and rewarding. We are excited to be delivering a world-first to a mountain bike public that is so passionate and enthusiastic. We are also proud to be able to help raise the standard and variety of mountain bike trails in South Africa.

Which Big MTB Year trail are you riding today? :)

Edited by EcoBound MTB Events