Are you ready for a Big MTB Year?

Matt

Like most things in life this event will be seen through the viewers "life lens".

If your lens is positive then it's a cool excuse to explore SAs bike parks.

If your lens is negative then it's a rip off wankfest for rich people.

I figure any excuse to see what's out there is a good excuse. R200 is a ride at Modders and breakfast afterwards. No biggie.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dangle is right on the money though.

Thanks boet, some people like to take things personal.

I can just see where this is gonna be at for some people.

The other half that are taking the approach that it's to explore, see the country and enjoy the bike, they will reap the rewards.

R 200 is nothing, some peeps drink that away on a Wednesday evening.

Edited by Wyatt Earp

The new type of event that isn't actually one, it's all about the App :o

spot on. but they've obsfuscated that very well using the cyclists own enthusiasm. I wonder what the kickback is from the the trails that are 'best managed, marked trails'.

Interesting concept by itself with benefit for cyclists and trail managers alike.

Dangle is right on the money though.

And the Epic isn't all about that?

Doing anything these days regarding riding is. One even get judged by some groups just by the gloves you wear.

I don't think it is attention seeking. I get a thrill from riding different trails with my bike and actually touring around SA to do so. (I bought a car this year just to make that more comfy). I didn't do that to get noticed by any of you, but just for the personal satisfaction. (And many other people are like that too I would believe).

I wonder what you guys think of all the other people that train hours on hours costing them thousands every month to stand on top of podiums... wonder if they are also "attention whores"?

Each to their own... (and worst is the ones that judge)

Doing anything these days regarding riding is. One even get judged by some groups just by the gloves you wear.

I don't think it is attention seeking. I get a thrill from riding different trails with my bike and actually touring around SA to do so. (I bought a car this year just to make that more comfy). I didn't do that to get noticed by any of you, but just for the personal satisfaction. (And many other people are like that too I would believe).

I wonder what you guys think of all the other people that train hours on hours costing them thousands every month to stand on top of podiums... wonder if they are also "attention whores"?

If you participate in any event, actually make that any pastime to get noticed then you need to have chat with yourself...epic, joberg2c, sani, double century, funky weird bikes...if you care what people think instead of having a good time you are doing it wrong.

PS those guys on the top steps are hardly doing it to be noticed I am sure. Their idea of fun is different to mine, they want to measure themselves, I want to have a couple of laughs.

I would pay R200 a year for a proper phone catalogue of SA trails with user reviews so I can visit with confidence. There are many new trails popping up around the country but unless you have you local contacts it's difficult to know where to ride. The idea of riding 300km to find an overgrown path marketed as a trail is too risky for most of us.

We have some of the best purpose built trails in the country where I live in Somerset East but it's just ~5 of us who ride it which is a waste. If this concept can make these and other trails accessible to more people it's a great idea.

If you participate in any event, actually make that any pastime to get noticed then you need to have chat with yourself...epic, joberg2c, sani, double century, funky weird bikes...if you care what people think instead of having a good time you are doing it wrong.

PS those guys on the top steps are hardly doing it to be noticed I am sure. Their idea of fun is different to mine, they want to measure themselves, I want to have a couple of laughs.

Exactly.

We (most cyclist) do it cause we love it not because we are "attention whores".

The Afrikaans people have a saying you should know well, it goes like this "jy sit alweer die pot mis"

For startres, nobody is judging any specific person, but you can be sure that some will and probably have already misunderstood the intention of this event.

They see their "name in lights" rather than an opportunity to explore their country and become part of a community.

You might be shocked at this news as well, but quite a number of people have bought cars this year to make their cycling more comfy.

Something tells me you took the comment a bit personal, sorry that you see it that way.

As for the gloves we wear, yes people put others in to groups, it's just how we stereotype, I had some baggy wearers with 6 inch travel bikes shout comments at me on The Spruit yesterday when I passed them up and downhill ,they didn't like it, I didn't stop to confront them.

Big year to me should equal big fun and yes unfortunately it will cost big money and for those who have families it will also require some big sacrifices.

But I will say it again, to some Big Year = mediocre riders hoping to get their name in lights.

Yes, everyone to their own.

If you do indeed have the privilege of travelling the country with your bike, then this is a cool concept to have access to where the trails are as well as interact socially with others.

Will it attract arseholes - yes

Will it attract lekker okes wanting to explore the country and its trails - yes

I dont really travel much so all my riding is focused around my little cocoon - of which we are fortunate to have plenty of beautiful trails

I dont ride with my smartphone - so that would not work - unless I can upload from strava or my bryton