Just a Second - Campaign

Wyatt Earp

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this is a great initiative Wyatt. I've followed and tweeted.

I think we, as a global society, are always in too much of a rush because of the demand placed on us. This is a simple rule that we should follow in all aspects of our lives. Family, children, work. All of it.

Guest Latent Blue

Great initiative. One just hope that the willingly ignorant would start to think....

Your FB page is a very good idea, but charity starts at home. During the past few weeks I witnessed a number of occasions where cyclists in Pretoria not only endangered themselves, but they frustrated the living daylights out of motorists by riding in groups blocking the road, riding on roads where it is unsafe and skipping traffic lights and intersections. If we want to change the attitude of motorists, we should change our own attitudes first. It serves no purpose to blame a motorist for not acknowledging you on your bicycle, when you do not consider the same motorist. For some reason cyclists believe that all road users are equal, but that they are more equal than other users. Lets include good road manners by cyclists in your campaign...

Your FB page is a very good idea, but charity starts at home. During the past few weeks I witnessed a number of occasions where cyclists in Pretoria not only endangered themselves, but they frustrated the living daylights out of motorists by riding in groups blocking the road, riding on roads where it is unsafe and skipping traffic lights and intersections. If we want to change the attitude of motorists, we should change our own attitudes first. It serves no purpose to blame a motorist for not acknowledging you on your bicycle, when you do not consider the same motorist. For some reason cyclists believe that all road users are equal, but that they are more equal than other users. Lets include good road manners by cyclists in your campaign...

Good thing the campaign is so beyond just cycling.

Thanks Vettes.

Twitter handle up and running guys, a big thanks to Nathrix for that, he also works tirelessly at our Bicycle Safety twitter handle.

You must be moeg. Big day. You can be proud of what you have started. It deserves all of our support to help increase the awareness.

Awesome initiative! Is someone out there a YouTube whizz? A two minute movie running a sort of parallel story with accidents in the one line and people spending just one second to stop and think (and save a life ) in the other could really go viral if we all got behind it like this! A picture says a thousand words type of thing.

Great initiative Wyatt.

On Monday morning on the coastal road which I often cycle between Melkbosstrand and Table View, a lady driver passed away when her car collided with an oncoming Golden Arrow bus. If you look at the wreckage of her car, it seems to me she was distracted at speed - probably just for a second. It could have been me on my bike that she hit.

http://cdn.primedia.co.za/MusicDataServiceOperations.svc/GetImage?url=http://ewn.co.za//-/media/Images/2013/12/02/08/46/131202caraccident%20jpg.ashx?as=1&h=311&w=520

I've started compiling a map on Google Maps - still in the testing out phase :) For the map I need to add / obtain a lot more information. Exact/approximate locations of accidents - not just city level and then dates, etc

For some of the accidents I remember / seen on thehubsa here is a prelim view. I am very open to suggestions on what to include / remove, etc. At the moment it groups the accidents per province and the icon colours shows whether the accident was fatal or not

Edited by agteros

Awesome initiative! Is someone out there a YouTube whizz? A two minute movie running a sort of parallel story with accidents in the one line and people spending just one second to stop and think (and save a life ) in the other could really go viral if we all got behind it like this! A picture says a thousand words type of thing.

I like the idea, have a few friends who work in film media, it's cost;y though, but worth a try :thumbup: