The Empire Strikes Back: Specialized Sues A Bike Shop Over Name

Bad Girl

I did not bother reading all the posts, but if you read further on in the article in cycling news, a big part of the problem is the fact that this guys produces his own wheels called Cafe Roubaix wheels. And under those terms I am pretty sure Spez is able to sue, or at least flex their muscle a bit. Granted, I think Spez could have handled it in a different manner. Huge amount of bad PR on their side, whether they are entitled to it or not.

And for everyone out there swearing off there Specialized gear, remember to also ditch your Merida,etc. Same pants different pocket.

Here is a link to the Specialized help desk. Watch this space and see what answers they come up with. Usually they answer all questions withing a day. Many comments made, many questions asked...lot's to answer for for.

http://specialized.desk.com/customer/portal/topics/89075-general-questions/questions

“There are three sides to every story.

Yours

Mine.

What really happened: the truth.”

Jeyn Roberts, Rage Within

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This sounds like a "java" vs "java". On the ons hand you have java coffee, which is trademarked, and java in I.T, also trademarked. Now who is going to sue who here?

This sounds like a "java" vs "java". On the ons hand you have java coffee, which is trademarked, and java in I.T, also trademarked. Now who is going to sue who here?

Different industries. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, because of the way the trademark law is structured, Spez has to defend it otherwise it can be used against them I'm future suits (failure to protect their trademark). The way they've done it is PR suicide, though.

He should just cross out the x and call himself Cafe Roubaiz. I know of a large cycling company that misspell their name, in real English at least.

If this was not a guy in a little corner shop, but a large company would everyone still be throwing their toys out the cot?

A bully is a bully no matter the size of his victim. Certainly a poor PR exercise that hopefully hurts them big time. I wonder if it would have made a difference if he sold their products?

As an individual trying to operate a small business I suppose this struck a chord with me. I'm supposed to maintain a neutral attitude, not upset anyone so as not to impact on business, BUT, morals and principles take precedence and that's the way I have always been.

The Specilaized trademark 'Roubaix' in Canada refers to that to do with bicycles, bicycle frames, bicycle forks and other associated bicycle components. Is the name of a bicycle shop which is also the name of a famous cycling event / town in France going to impact on that trademark? I personally don't think so, on the face of it.

How many times have you come across the problems of trying to deal with a large corporate business who either have legions of call centres / minions / lawyers / contracts / small print to hide behind. Just because they're bigger doesn't make them automatically right.

Should we care?, whether we are Specialized customers or not? I think we should. It's when we just shrug our shoulders and say 'oh well' that things start to go downhill.

I like this bloke! :thumbup:

Different industries. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, because of the way the trademark law is structured, Spez has to defend it otherwise it can be used against them I'm future suits (failure to protect their trademark). The way they've done it is PR suicide, though.

How should they have done it differently? As far as I have gathered they haven't actually sued the shop, just said they will if the shop doesn't comply.

The original one-sided article didn't even bother to ask Spez for a response, and this article is the basis of this emotional social media campaign.

I'm still waiting for Spez to make a proper response before judging.

I did not bother reading all the posts, but if you read further on in the article in cycling news, a big part of the problem is the fact that this guys produces his own wheels called Cafe Roubaix wheels. And under those terms I am pretty sure Spez is able to sue, or at least flex their muscle a bit. Granted, I think Spez could have handled it in a different manner. Huge amount of bad PR on their side, whether they are entitled to it or not.

And for everyone out there swearing off there Specialized gear, remember to also ditch your Merida,etc. Same pants different pocket.

Here is a link to the Specialized help desk. Watch this space and see what answers they come up with. Usually they answer all questions withing a day. Many comments made, many questions asked...lot's to answer for for.

http://specialized.d...tions/questions

“There are three sides to every story.

Yours

Mine.

What really happened: the truth.”

Jeyn Roberts, Rage Within

Now why would you want to soil a perfectly good rant with logic, objectivity and common sense. Begone with you!

I'm still waiting for classifieds to become flooded with all these big beck people selling their specialized goodies.Common people, I'm waiting for a bargain.Or is this just all talk as usual.