How do you use a dropper post correctly?

River Rat

I have bought a bike that has a dropper post. Can you guys give me some tips on when, where and how to use it? I get that it allows you to lower your center of gravity but surely there is more to it than just that.

Edited by River Rat

There is no wrong or right way to be honest.

I drop my saddle whenever I get out of the saddle to ride a section. Even on some technical climbs it helps to not have the saddle to worry about.

You are welcome to join us for a ride sometime. It helps to see when other riders lower the saddle and for what type of terrain.

Welcome to the revolution!

Drop it before decents,jumps,drops,rock garden and anytime things get gnarly. It will make the bike alot more manueverable and allow you to get your weight back in the attack position. Enjoy!

What Maxxis and Sidewinder have said ...

Also drop it just before you get off your bike .. it makes dismouting and mounting so much easier ..

Basically it can be used anywhere, everywhere and all the time. Even on a long flat section of peddling, just to work different leg muscles ..

Why arent all bikes fitted with dropper posts, should be standard equipment !

Thanks for the advice, it would seem that the principle is to take the seat out of the equation thus allowing more opportunity to play with the center of gravity, correct?

DON"T "take the seat out of the equation" that could be VERY EINAs

Uphill UP (unless technical)

Downhill DOWN and everything in between

Just use it and experiment.

In any downhill I keep changing the position.

Changed my riding

Edited by porqui

Also on technical climbs. Let's you grunt the bike around a bit more than when the saddle is right up your arse. Even just a 1" drop on some areas is enough to allow you to get into a better position.

ONLY drop it while your mates (without dropper posts) are watching! ;)

Did that to Jerome the other day. He forgot to actuate the manual saddle drip technique. I rode past him. Schnick. Descend. Laugh.

His response? Yeah, Mayhew, I know. Just one press away, Fxxx you!

Laughter continued unabated.

Even just a 1" drop...

A 1 inch drop? Sounds hectic. :P

Besides what has already been mentioned I use it to:

Pin a series of downhill corners as it allows to move the bike exactly where you need it.

Set myself up for a bunnyhop or prejump.

Practise manualling and drop it half way for wheelies.