Any co-op bicycle shops in Jozi?

3Rensho

Hello Hubbers,

I have only been active on the classifieds, but I finally got my dream bike! When I lived in Canada, I used to just ride to my nearest co-op to work on my bike, as I could never afford tools and stands myself. Now that I am here, I am at a loss. I don't know where to go! I don't believe there are any co-op bike shops in Jozi, but if there are let me know!

Alternatively, could anyone suggest an LBS where I could take my bike with shimano exage sport components to get sorted? My co-op usually had a wealth of old parts so I never had to worry about spacing my beloved steel frame to accomodate a new drive-train.

I am looking for a place that takes good care of old bikes and components, and would fix old parts rather than encourage me to put on modern ones.

I am sorry if this seems like a dumb question. I know any old bike shop will "fix" my bike up, but I want a place where the staff and owners appreciate a collectable and will take good care of it.

Someone like Olaf at Crosstown Cycles in Kenilworth.

Thanks for any help!

At 70 Juta Street in Braamfontein there is a hard-core bike shop known as Hunter Cycling. The walls of the store are literally filled to the rafters with cycling gear and related goods. Magazines, t-shirts, bike seats and helmets are just a few of the items found there. Hunter Cycling is certainly geared towards the more serious cyclist and not the average bike rider.

and within 100 yard of hunter cycles is Father coffee and Doubleshot coffee - both worthy of a stop too...

What's a co-op bike shop? I don't think most of us have any idea.

A co-op bike shop is a not for profit bike shop, where you pay a small membership fee and are allowed to make use of their tools and space to work on your bike. Co-op means that the shop is run by a board of governors, but that any member has a say in the decision making process at AGM's. The one I went to had a bunch of bike enthusiasts who volounteered when they could and would help you with your repairs, guiding you but never doing the work for you. It was a really fun and educational environment!

At 70 Juta Street in Braamfontein there is a hard-core bike shop known as Hunter Cycling. The walls of the store are literally filled to the rafters with cycling gear and related goods. Magazines, t-shirts, bike seats and helmets are just a few of the items found there. Hunter Cycling is certainly geared towards the more serious cyclist and not the average bike rider.

I know about Hunter cycles, I just thought they might be expensive because their shop looks so nice. It also seems to only stock parts for SS/Fixed gear bikes.

Try Whippet cycles and Hunter cycles. - not co -ops, but they value vintage machines

Thanks, I will try there. I know a cafe called the Whippet in Linden.. are the two linked at all? If not, where is Whippet cycles?

the cycle shop in Maboneng will let you use their workshop. not sure of the name but they are in the container. awesome place to source parts for SS or fixi

Thanks, I will try there. I know a cafe called the Whippet in Linden.. are the two linked at all? If not, where is Whippet cycles?

Whippet are similar to Hunter. They are in Commissioner street in the Maboneng precinct.

Edited by Wired

Co-op cycle shops are certainly found more overseas then locally. They are a brilliant idea to say the least.

yes truly amazing. I got all my school books, organic food, bicycle needs taken care of by co-ops

Co-op in RSA no way.

***-op maybe yes

It can happen, the only requirement for a co-op to function is active participation by members.

the cycle shop in Maboneng will let you use their workshop. not sure of the name but they are in the container. awesome place to source parts for SS or fixi

Ok I will go and look for a container in Maboneng. I have seen pictures of it I think. An old frame builder?

Whippet are similar to Hunter. They are in Commissioner street in the Maboneng precinct.

Thanks I will look there too!

Thanks everyone for your great input!

I also lived in Canada and was so amazed at how things like this could work. I'm sorry to say but I just don't see it happening here. To put it bluntly, I don't think it works with our Gini co-efficient. You would think the concept of ubuntu would make it a no-brainer, maybe I have it wrong.

I was (and suppose still am) a member of the MEC(mountain equipment co-op). Basically sportsman's warehouse with an outdoor focus on steroids, but owned by it's members. It really works!

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ContentPrimary/AboutMEC/AboutOurCoOp/CoOpFaqs.jsp

Guest Latent Blue

A co-op bike shop is a not for profit bike shop, where you pay a small membership fee and are allowed to make use of their tools and space to work on your bike. Co-op means that the shop is run by a board of governors, but that any member has a say in the decision making process at AGM's. The one I went to had a bunch of bike enthusiasts who volounteered when they could and would help you with your repairs, guiding you but never doing the work for you. It was a really fun and educational environment!

What the hell are we waiting for?

Matt! Wheres matt!? Do this for us please!