[Event] MTN NATIONAL MTB SERIES #2 Sabie

Tim_Fair

It's interesting you say that. I raced both Dullstroom and Sabie on Shimano XT 2x10 but fitted with very well used SLX chainrings and cluster (more than 3000km) and a newish SLX chain. I didn't have one moment of chainsuck in either race or any drivetrain admin to speak of. At Dullstroom I only stopped once to apply some lube on the long climb and at Sabie someone applied some lube for me at the second water point. Apart from that I didn't waste any time washing my bike in the river crossings and I didn't apply any more lube. I started both races with a properly cleaned drivetrain but coated with a healthy dose of Muc-Off wet lube (my only choice of lube regardless of conditions).

So I don't think 1x11 is the only answer. There were plenty of riders out there (pro's included) who had plenty of drivetrain admin even on their 1x11's. I also saw and passed a number of 1x11 riders really struggling to turn their cranks on the big climbs whereas I had the range to spin out the big climbs and pace myself far better for the rest of the race. I won't say never but for now I see no reason to change from my 2 x 10.

I think the difference then might be between the shimano and sram setup.

I was chain sucking from the first climb at 5km. Maybe it has something to do with the manufacturer.

I agree that if you go 1x10, you have to have the bailout sprocket of 42t to cope with the steep stuff. At the PSG Karatara event in december i got a PROPER workout using a 32 front, 11/36 rear 1x10 setup. I do prefer the spinning range that 2x10 gives, BUT havent been enjoying the chainsuck in my last several events.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to have chain suck with 3x10, turns out it was the (used) XX RD that I got off the hub, there wad a batch problem, and I had to engineer a solution to increase the lateral tenesion (that coil spring that keep the tension on the chain neede dto be wound up more).

I am now using that on 2x10 hard tail, and usind a new X0 on the 3x10, not further problems.

We had just over a 100 people who didn't pick-up their envelopes (assuming they never drove through)

Then of the total starters about 70% finished.

Is that just on the Marathon or for the entire weekend? I know on the ultra like 50 guys out of the 200 starters finished...

i used to get really bad chainsuck in the wet on one bike but then i got a clutch rear mech and that solved it..

I rode both the marathon and half marathon with my 29er HT 1x10 with a Wolftooth 30T upfront and a 11/42 cassette. Had absolutely no issues with chain drop, chain suck at all. I did stop frequently at most of the rivers to clean my drivetrain as my cassette and chain was new. So sensibility prevailed instead of grinding it out. I also lubed regularly. The result is that my drivetrain is still new, so no cost there to replace anything.

I did however experience problems with my gripshift after my gloves got muddy. No way to change gears as it all was to slippery. When I took my gloves off it was better. Also had some issues with mud causing my gear cable, which is not fully enclosed to get sticky at times.

As far as gear ratio goes the 30/42 worked perfectly for all climbs even the steep one at the beginning of Mount Moody which I climbed up, with a bit of effort, but not getting off.

Will probably get a 10 speed trigger shifter for those rainy, muddy races.

Came in in 06:11. Moving time according to GPs was 04:56.

freddie@maniyakcycles.co.za

It's actually a Scott. Ridiculous. He was part of my crew for the tour we did to sabie .... awesome. And he hasn't been training for months now maybe one ride a week ... you have NO idea how strong this guy really is. He is however getting back into teh game this year ... one to watch 'rise out of nowhere'

Cool, thanks for the info, I just cannot imagine doing that on a Cyclocross bike - one strong rider :thumbup:

I think the difference then might be between the shimano and sram setup.

I was chain sucking from the first climb at 5km. Maybe it has something to do with the manufacturer.

I agree that if you go 1x10, you have to have the bailout sprocket of 42t to cope with the steep stuff. At the PSG Karatara event in december i got a PROPER workout using a 32 front, 11/36 rear 1x10 setup. I do prefer the spinning range that 2x10 gives, BUT havent been enjoying the chainsuck in my last several events.

I'm not sure it's a SRAM vs Shimano issue to be honest although anecdotally you'll always find some reason to prefer the one over the other. Like you I had terminal chainsuck on day 2 Sani2C 2013 which ruined the day for me and my partner. But I was running a drivetrain that had done a few thousand kms that year including the Epic 2 months earlier so I was being naive/cheap thinking I could get away with it in muddy conditions. My conclusion is always running a well set-up drive train, well lubed with proper oil not paraffin based nonsense & making sure the drivetrain is in relatively good shape with no obviously damaged teeth.

i used to get really bad chainsuck in the wet on one bike but then i got a clutch rear mech and that solved it..

Come to think of it I also have a clutch rear mech and I had no chainsuck at all, perhaps this is the diffference. Anyone with a clutch rear mech that had chainsuck it would be interesting to hear from you.

Come to think of it I also have a clutch rear mech and I had no chainsuck at all, perhaps this is the diffference. Anyone with a clutch rear mech that had chainsuck it would be interesting to hear from you.

I suffered chain suck up the first climb and the stopped and engaged the clutch on my xt derailleur. Even with the clutch engaged, it made a horrible noise and I was waiting for something to break! :thumbdown: I then stopped more regularly to clean and lube the chain, that is all that helped.

Chainsuck in a nutshell - http://www.fagan.co.za/Bikes/Csuck/

sometime has nailed it, check your drivetrain and make sure its lubed.

So it looks like I'm trying to solve a problem that I don't have, I put so much lube on before the race that there is a permanent oil slick in the parking lot at York Sportsground sorriieee...

I rode both the marathon and half marathon with my 29er HT 1x10 with a Wolftooth 30T upfront and a 11/42 cassette. Had absolutely no issues with chain drop, chain suck at all. I did stop frequently at most of the rivers to clean my drivetrain as my cassette and chain was new. So sensibility prevailed instead of grinding it out. I also lubed regularly. The result is that my drivetrain is still new, so no cost there to replace anything.

I did however experience problems with my gripshift after my gloves got muddy. No way to change gears as it all was to slippery. When I took my gloves off it was better. Also had some issues with mud causing my gear cable, which is not fully enclosed to get sticky at times.

As far as gear ratio goes the 30/42 worked perfectly for all climbs even the steep one at the beginning of Mount Moody which I climbed up, with a bit of effort, but not getting off.

Will probably get a 10 speed trigger shifter for those rainy, muddy races.

Came in in 06:11. Moving time according to GPs was 04:56.

How do you think you would have done with a 34 upfront? (isnt that the norm when running 1x11)

I used an X9 clutch rear derailleur - sucked plenty. The chain would pull the derailleur jockey hanger so far forward when it sucked that it would lock into place and i would have to stop to disengage it for fear of ripping it off completely.

I think the Dullstroom mud was still causing some havoc in the jockey - its going to get a full cleaning shortly.

My gear cables were also sticking nicely using 2x10 trigger shifters, so that needed constant tweeking to get the gears to engage.

fun and games.

How do you think you would have done with a 34 upfront? (isnt that the norm when running 1x11)

The 30/42 gives me the same ratio as a 26/36. I went for the 30T as I am not the strongest climber and looking at the Sabie profile the downhills were pretty steep and short so not much peddling in top gear required. The flatter sections I managed to keep up with the rest. I am happy with the 30T upfront on the 29er.

On a flatter profile I may opt for a 32 upfront.

The 30/42 gives me the same ratio as a 26/36. I went for the 30T as I am not the strongest climber and looking at the Sabie profile the downhills were pretty steep and short so not much peddling in top gear required. The flatter sections I managed to keep up with the rest. I am happy with the 30T upfront on the 29er.

On a flatter profile I may opt for a 32 upfront.

cool thanks for the info

Yeah, I have had it a quite a while no, replacing my 26er Dale, just did not have chance to race it yet.

Are you expecting mud in Magoebaskloof in May :)

Will serve up a dry weekend for you!