Tacx trainers.

Dgas

I don't really use the software but I think it is a free download. I did get a USB ant+ dongle with mine as well so you can control the unit from a PC/laptop as well and do the VR thing on there as well. I used it once or twice. Like you I am only interested in the intervals.

Ta thanks....will check with the boys at cycleops

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a Tacx flow and I currently have a simple Cylce ops Fluid 2 and IMO the Cycle ops is better built and easier to set up.

The killer with a trainer is that is it takes you 10minutes to setup you wont ride it this is why I got rid of the Tacx cause you had to plug in all the wires plug it into a power outlet and connect a PC.

The Tacx Fortius was a bit like that with wires all over the place. The IVortex runs of one plug into a power outlet. Everything else is run over ANT and a dongle in my laptop. I have spare bike full time set up on the trainer so all I have to do is switch on the laptop. It's all set up in a spare room. Time to start riding is limited by the time it takes to start the laptop.

The Tacx Fortius was a bit like that with wires all over the place. The IVortex runs of one plug into a power outlet. Everything else is run over ANT and a dongle in my laptop. I have spare bike full time set up on the trainer so all I have to do is switch on the laptop. It's all set up in a spare room. Time to start riding is limited by the time it takes to start the laptop.

Yea the Vortex is a nice unit....bundles with software if I am not mistaken....the bushido is totally wireless but you have to purchase the software upgrade. Choose your poison so to speak

And therein lies the next controversial suggestion I'm going to make - In my opinion it is better to spend R8000 on a good indoor trainer that reads consistent power than R12000 on a Power Meter. It is very difficult to perform good repeatable power training intervals out on the road - and almost impossible if you are riding in a bunch. So unless you are a full-time pro, do all your power intervals on an indoor trainer. Its better, more repeatable, and cheaper!

Andymann agree with you, however....you either need a good coach or understanding of the demands of your specific event, so that your training is specific. I have both, indoor trainer and powermeter on my bike. Whats good about the powermeter on the bike, I can see, especially on races what exactly the power looks like (spikes beyond FTP, how many, how long etc) which enables to adjust my training to meet the race demands. I've noticed lot of people buy trainers, but never use them effectively, they become glorified "spinning bikes" - intervals on a trainer are hard, no distractions, no hiding from real data. If you're going to invest in a indoor trainer with an ergometer, use it effectively, the benefits are huge.

I do have the powerbeam with the joule gps _quite easy to operate,i do plan my training on the power agent software and import to the joule and you are ready.

Hi got myself a second hand Real Axiom Elite, still need to set it up. Has anyone else heard of this brand?

It's got a few virtual videos, predominantly TDF routes and also allows you to import gpx files to be able to ride your own route. I see on the software that you can do a Conconi test, which I'm assuming is to get your FTP number?

I hear what you are saying about using Catalyst but sitting on the training bike for a hour a day is bad enough, at least with the video's there is something to look at. With catalyst there is just a graph.

I actually find catalyst more interesting as it is focussed on exactly what you want to do rather than plodding along with some random video.

If some distraction is required, I rather have some music playing or put on the tv.

Hi got myself a second hand Real Axiom Elite, still need to set it up. Has anyone else heard of this brand?

It's got a few virtual videos, predominantly TDF routes and also allows you to import gpx files to be able to ride your own route. I see on the software that you can do a Conconi test, which I'm assuming is to get your FTP number?

Elite Real Axion is the equivalent of the Tacx virtual trainers.

Don't think there's much difference between the two.

I had a quick look on the CycleOps site and there is one interesting option. If you use a standard trainer like the fluid pro or super magneto you can still use an Ant+ speed sensor with the iPad app to get power.

The speed / power profile of these trainers is built into the app and very consistent so you only loose resistance control. You will need to use your gearing to change the speed (power) and keep the power in the interval range yourself but it's a much cheaper option that still gives an accurate measurement of your power.

I had a quick look on the CycleOps site and there is one interesting option. If you use a standard trainer like the fluid pro or super magneto you can still use an Ant+ speed sensor with the iPad app to get power.

The speed / power profile of these trainers is built into the app and very consistent so you only loose resistance control. You will need to use your gearing to change the speed (power) and keep the power in the interval range yourself but it's a much cheaper option that still gives an accurate measurement of your power.

Interesting option indeed....you can even go the trainerroad option and use their virtual power.

Interesting option indeed....you can even go the trainerroad option and use their virtual power.

You could also go big, and buy a wattbike... :)

You could also go big, and buy a wattbike... :)

If only....they are pretty cool pieces of tech....but on the wattbike thing

Here is another cat amongst the pigeons...

There is a wattbike cadence class opening at the campus 3months @ 855 zars / month...2 classes a week + coach that will go over your numbers.

If only....they are pretty cool pieces of tech....but on the wattbike thing

Here is another cat amongst the pigeons...

There is a wattbike cadence class opening at the campus 3months @ 855 zars / month...2 classes a week + coach that will go over your numbers.

From my experience of owning an ergo trainer this is your best option. If after 3 months you're hooked you can look at investing in your own solution. Some human interaction makes sitting still and sweating in one place allot more bearable.

From my experience of owning an ergo trainer this is your best option. If after 3 months you're hooked you can look at investing in your own solution. Some human interaction makes sitting still and sweating in one place allot more bearable.

Exactly....its lekker to suffer, when you are not suffering alone...so to speak. It is actually a very attractive option for the interim. Even if it just to get a feel for powertraining based programs.

Thank you very much for this info....and pulls me even more towards the cyclops trainer. I do have a ipad so no issues there...I will defnitely look into this. The VR and video stuff although lekker is a nice to have....I want to be able to do create watt interval programs and export data. The rest is neither here nor there.

I have the Tacx Bushido. I purposefully didn't buy the TTS software as I didn't want to pay the extra cash and I don't have a PC suitably close to my tranining space. I waited for the release of the free iPad App instead and it works a treat. The app actually controls the trainer (not just gives you output) and you don't even need the head unit. (I'll sell my head unit if anyone wants one.) So you can set the watts that you want to put out in your intervals or target your heart rate etc. All on a user friendly app. (No I don't work for Tacx).

The Bushido is fully wireless as well. It doesn't even need a power point, so the whole things has absolutely no wires and is in fact portable - if that's something you could see yourself needing.

The app stays on your iPad, so you can lie on the couch and set your next interval session, or while you're sitting in a meeting...

There is some VR stuff available and they're expanding all the time.

Anyway, I think it's a pretty neat solution.

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting problem we encountered this weekend when doing some tests on the Vortex - we moved it out of it's usual position in the training room and for some reason after that nothing wanted to pick up - the cadence was sluggish, none of the HR monitors wanted to pick up the power values were all haywire. Only after we unplugged our wireless router to plug in a cooling fan, did everything start working again. I'm not an expert on ANT+, but for sure, there was some sort of interference between the router and the Vortex....