Littering chops

Rydogg

I remember in the army, if someone in the bungalow screwed up, they were told, "jy drop jou maatjies".

At school, we were told that anyone who wore the uniform represented the school.

I think both apply here.

Not too sure why being a shy and reserved 15-year-old is seen as being an acceptable excuse/reason/whatever.

I did not once say that its an excuse.. i was referring to how he could have simply said something to him as he isn't an aggressive person. Some of you people seriously need to use your heads a bit more and actually read.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I won't take the time to find out if that particular guy is not aggressive - I won't ruin my day.

Stop defending him - he was a chop for littering and you (and he) don't get to choose how people react to it.

Please, I encourage all of you to read every one of my comments and tell me exactly, even quote, where I have defended him littering. I will be seriously surprised if you find anything.

the trait beinh exposed here is noy limited to cycling litterbugs only. Show any South African that he / she is wrong and they only reaction you are guaranteed to get is that of angry aggression.

Dragging related parties through the mud is going about it incorrectly. Expecting clubs to be moral gate keepers for their members will not have much effect... just as much as our children are not being taught moral values at school anymore - most probably for mu h the same reason as what motorists / cyclists showeach other the finger and cyclists fight amongst themselves..

Why do runners not fight amongst themselves the way cyclists do?

I agree, but not with the last point. (and also with the bit about kids not being taught moral values at school - that should be coming from the home. Abdicating your responsibility as a parent doesn't give you the right to expect the school to take your place.)

The level of intolerance amongst all South Africans is completely breathtaking.

I agree, but not with the last point. (and also with the bit about kids not being taught moral values at school - that should be coming from the home. Abdicating your responsibility as a parent doesn't give you the right to expect the school to take your place.)

The level of intolerance amongst all South Africans is completely breathtaking.

We are on the same page ;) Just as schools should not be expected to teach children morals & values (these are cultural in any case), just as much we cannot expect the same from clubs and other sporting organisations..

Also, runners do not point fingers at each other (not the groups & clubs I interact with / am part of in any way)

If cyclists perceive themselves to be normal (generally), then runners are dope smoking, carefree, loving hippies!

I'm commenting with regards to the earlier comment about posting something like this.

At the end of the day, this is a rant and rave forum. Therefore, if cycling related, anyone is entitled to start a thread worth discussing. We are all cyclists, discussing an issue, all be it a relatively small one. This is part of " the hub". Littering isn't cool, and most clubs pride themselves on cycling ethics.

Our roads, velds and protected areas are becoming rubish dumps! Nothing wrong to name and shame on a public forum.

I did not once say that its an excuse.. i was referring to how he could have simply said something to him as he isn't an aggressive person. Some of you people seriously need to use your heads a bit more and actually read.
so the op should have used his physic powers to sense the littering rider was going and reserved?

Noted previously (and I trust you have been reading) there have been cases of littering riders getting agro with those you advise then of their disgusting habits.

We are on the same page ;) Just as schools should not be expected to teach children morals & values (these are cultural in any case), just as much we cannot expect the same from clubs and other sporting organisations..

Also, runners do not point fingers at each other (not the groups & clubs I interact with / am part of in any way)

If cyclists perceive themselves to be normal (generally), then runners are dope smoking, carefree, loving hippies!

Clubs have a code of conduct.......

Farmer Glen(sani2c founder) has now insisted that all rider put their race numbers on all food sources with a permanent marker.

Spot checks are conducted randomly at the start's.

This will not solve the problem outright but it's a contribution.

Clubs have a code of conduct.......

True. Clubs have a code of conduct. So what?

Even if a club has a code of conduct, even if a club has a disciplinary committee, even if a club has a schedule of fines. So what?

Even if a club kicks a member out of the club. So what? Did it make the person stop littering? Did it ostracize the now ex-member from cycling?

Answer is a resounding NO! You do not even need to belong to a club to participate in races. All you need is to belong to CSA, and possibly be affiliated to a province. Ok, if you want to race Lic. Vets etc it is a bit different, but the hurdles to create your own club (band of brothers) are somewhat low.

So, now the litterbug gets kicked out the club. So what now? He/she does not need references to become a member of the next club.

Behaviour has not changed, but a lot of admin and animosity has been created. Affecting unrelated parties as well.

Creating rules (especially unenforcible and without recourse) for the sake of rules only creates a nanny state (yes it starts at this grassroots level!)

Speaking to people (alleged litterbugs and clubs in this case) directly and politely WILL yield far better results than coming down on them like the proverbial ton of bricks as we surely want to increase and promote the sport of cycling amongst potential cyclists first, and also amongst the general public rather than kick people out or be perceived as a clique / elitist / dogmatic about rules.

NOTE: Never in this whole sad thread did I ever condone littering ;)

Guest Latent Blue

It does make sense agteros

(edit my spelleeng)

Edited by Latent Blue

Guest Latent Blue

I can never understand why people throw litter next to the road when there are rivers and the sea where you can throw it into.

HKGK

True. Clubs have a code of conduct. So what?

Even if a club has a code of conduct, even if a club has a disciplinary committee, even if a club has a schedule of fines. So what?

Even if a club kicks a member out of the club. So what? Did it make the person stop littering? Did it ostracize the now ex-member from cycling?

Answer is a resounding NO! You do not even need to belong to a club to participate in races. All you need is to belong to CSA, and possibly be affiliated to a province. Ok, if you want to race Lic. Vets etc it is a bit different, but the hurdles to create your own club (band of brothers) are somewhat low.

So, now the litterbug gets kicked out the club. So what now? He/she does not need references to become a member of the next club.

Behaviour has not changed, but a lot of admin and animosity has been created. Affecting unrelated parties as well.

Creating rules (especially unenforcible and without recourse) for the sake of rules only creates a nanny state (yes it starts at this grassroots level!)

Speaking to people (alleged litterbugs and clubs in this case) directly and politely WILL yield far better results than coming down on them like the proverbial ton of bricks as we surely want to increase and promote the sport of cycling amongst potential cyclists first, and also amongst the general public rather than kick people out or be perceived as a clique / elitist / dogmatic about rules.

NOTE: Never in this whole sad thread did I ever condone littering ;)

So you don't think that being kicked out of a club is a deterrent to someone that litters? When he has been kicked out of a few, he might just think twice before he litters. At the same time, those club members that don't litter may not enjoy being associated with the litterbugs, so let them help and enforce the club's rules. The problem is not the OP's method of raising the issue. The problem is that a club member littered and brought the club's reputation into disrepute.