Littering chops

Rydogg

btw , we cleaned the whole route after the last rider came in as well as the parking area around the start / finish area. littering has to be addressed in the event application and we accept that cleaning up after the event is part of the game. riders would help if they left their empty pre / post race gel sachets in their vehicles instead of next to them.

That is a nice touch, good on ya. Riders need to look after their own junk - if you brought it with then take it away. Jeez, it isn't hard to slip that stuff back in your pockets.

Maybe PPA should mention it on the start line when they are yarning on the PA, pre count down.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Until the leage/PPA start taking serious action i.e. Dq, ban, fine, etc littering will continue to happen.

Because some riders just over look it/prefer not to say anything at the time it happens, cause they don't want a confrontation maybe incentivize the reporting?

Littering is a disgusting and intentional act which had no excuse.

I stand by the op in bringing it to the publics attention via this forum.

The use of the word Chop in the heading could be a result of the op feeling very strongly about the act of littering.

The two club members who have read this thread please ensure that this matter is taken up in the club and could you please report back on the outcome. If the club is serious about controlling Littering and protecting the clubs identity then it sold show.

Does the club have a set code of conduct or basic rules that all members need to adhere to?

Guys, I did send a polite note to the club. I know its not the clubs fault. I looked for the guy after the race to chat to him, but couldn't find him.

Also, I say this was not the first time, because the exact same thing happened last year, I addressed the guy and he was a chop about it.

Guys, I did send a polite note to the club. I know its not the clubs fault. I looked for the guy after the race to chat to him, but couldn't find him.

Also, I say this was not the first time, because the exact same thing happened last year, I addressed the guy and he was a chop about it.

Good on you OP, name and shame is the only way!

Littering of empty gel sachets unfortunately is a common phenomenon amongst cyclists and is not unique to City Cycles. I agree with the message conveyed but the manner in which the generalisation of all City Cycle members being a chops as per your topic line I'm afraid is just wrong. Name and shame but be specific to individual and not the organisation e.g. City Cycle member wearin race 555555 u Chop

That is exactly what I am going to do.

I just can't understand why people come on here and complain about petty things which can easily be sorted out in person.

I don't come on here and complain about people throwing stuff away, I tell them about it there and then.

I don't come on the Hub and winge about how poorly some other clubs ride and the danger that they create. It's called saying something in the moment instead of making such a big deal about it on a popular forum.

Constructively solve the problem.

Littering at a race is not a petty thing and perhaps going to speak to people who had that opinion would not have helped.

Should he have ruined his race and spent his time policing other adults?

Having been on the receiving end of "f#ck you ect ect" when asking people not to litter it clearly doesn't work like that. Rant and rave is exactly that isnt it? If you dont want to read it then dont.

I find it hard to believe you would come onto this 'popular' forum and try and defend those type of actions. Why not use it as an opportunity to show others you are serious about the behavour of the riders in your club? Instead you try and deflect onto OP. If this is the attitude shown after a race, where the adrenalin has dropped imagine the response during?

Most south africans have a lack of pride for their country. i found some rubbish in magalies on a route i ride. I looked through it and discovered some papers with the culprits details on it and gave the guy a call. I saw this morning the rubbish is gone. what irks me is the local dump is less than 2km away from where it was dumped!

Maybe my response is being taken more negatively then it should be taken and I apologise for that. I just feel that this could have been avoided if the person acted when it happend and decided not to create such a post in the manner that he did. I am not 'hacking back'.

As i said I am going to speak to the higher orders as I am a mere rookie in the club. Thanks for the notification of the incident.

The best way this could have been avoided is if your club members did not litter

The op is quite within his rights to raise this on the appropriate public forum and should help motivate the club to get its house in order

This is not the first time that your clubs members poor behaviour has been highlighted on the Hub

Littering at a race is not a petty thing and perhaps going to speak to people who had that opinion would not have helped.

Should he have ruined his race and spent his time policing other adults?

Having been on the receiving end of "f#ck you ect ect" when asking people not to litter it clearly doesn't work like that. Rant and rave is exactly that isnt it? If you dont want to read it then dont.

I find it hard to believe you would come onto this 'popular' forum and try and defend those type of actions. Why not use it as an opportunity to show others you are serious about the behavour of the riders in your club? Instead you try and deflect onto OP. If this is the attitude shown after a race, where the adrenalin has dropped imagine the response during?

Agreed.The club must ensure that the issue is addressed and not come on here to complain about the op

@ agteros...im pretty sure thehubsa admins have their jobs because they know what they're doing....theres a bunch of research and planning that goes on behind the scenes, that's why it is how it is.

Anyways to get back on topic...no excuses for littering...my opinion, OP only opened a mild case of name-and shame-whoopass on cc...no need to get upset or overly sensitive about it. If you litter, you're a chop...if the okes in your cycling gang are chops, then by association you're also chop...thats how it is...so cc guys, just give your mates a lekker klap for bringing the rest of you guys down...it will always be a minority that brings down the majority

Fact remains.

Op had a history of receiving aggressive responses from previously telling riders on the day and it seems sotoo have others.

There are members of this club now who have seen this party and hopefully they will make sure that the matter is dealt with internally.

The op did attach the race numbers so it should be simple to find the rider at fault.

It is simple civil act not to litter.

I agree withe the Op 100%. During the Argus i nearly got into a fist fight after i confronted an idiot who littered during the race. People who litter are pigs and should be named and shamed. There is no defence and they have not a leg to stand on. Most litterbugs who cycle in races are well off, informed individuals that know what they doing is wrong. They are just so self absorbed in their own ego to actually care about anything but themselves. If they belong to a club name and shame the club. A public forum like the hub is brilliant for exposing these idiots. To all that sit and try defend these morons STFU.

I agree withe the Op 100%. During the Argus i nearly got into a fist fight after i confronted an idiot who littered during the race. People who litter are pigs and should be named and shamed. There is no defence and they have not a leg to stand on. Most litterbugs who cycle in races are well off, informed individuals that know what they doing is wrong. They are just so self absorbed in their own ego to actually care about anything but themselves. If they belong to a club name and shame the club. A public forum like the hub is brilliant for exposing these idiots. To all that sit and try defend these morons STFU.
the trait beinh exposed here is noy limited to cycling litterbugs only. Show any South African that he / she is wrong and they only reaction you are guaranteed to get is that of angry aggression.

Dragging related parties through the mud is going about it incorrectly. Expecting clubs to be moral gate keepers for their members will not have much effect... just as much as our children are not being taught moral values at school anymore - most probably for mu h the same reason as what motorists / cyclists showeach other the finger and cyclists fight amongst themselves..

Why do runners not fight amongst themselves the way cyclists do?

It's tough to confront someone, in a testosterone-filled environment amongst peers (club members), to suggest alternative behaviour.

The anonymity of social media helps to raise a difficult 'conversation'.

Name calling like 'tjops' or 'wors' or 'dop' obviously is uncalled for, Rydogg.

It only deflects from the real issue and is name-calling which adds petrol to the fire (your original concern).