27.5" or 29" for my size

Nalith

I'm looking at upgrading my current Merida TFS500 26" to either a 27.5 or 29". I'm 183cm and mostly ride Northern Farm/Riet Vlei etc. There seems to be quite a lot of conflicting info our there but from what I gather the 27.5 is the sweet spot? Any suggestions on the two sizes? I was looking at either the Merida Big 7 or Big 9 TFS500.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You are tall enough for a 29er. It is up to your personal preference.

I have read that it is budget that should determine which of the two. By nature, 29ers are heavier. If you are buying an entry level bike, it is better to go 27.5 as this will be a lot lighter (by virtue of having less metal). If you are buying upper end, then 29er can be considered.

29er or 26er or 27.5 is not height related. Your inner leg length decides on the frame size. you could be a midget and still ride an XS 29er.

Check out this vid:

27.5 will probably cost a little more, while you'll get more bang for your buck on a 29er with a really little amount of difference in feel - mostly slightly better handling in winding single track on the smaller wheel base, better rolling uneven surface with the larger wheel base. But the difference not that apparent. I'd go for 29er because components are more readily available / better priced.

Thanks for the advice, the 27.5 and 29 cost the same at Cyclelab. One thing I keep reading is the 29" is not very agile with tight cornering, is it really that much worse? Miss the days when you only had one option for wheel size :(

It all depends if you will be sprinting out the corner for a podium place at the end of the race???

Buy what suits 90% of your riding style and circumstances.

Dont buy for that "0.5%" of "cornering" / STEEP gradient climbing that you do.

Buy what suits 90% of your riding.

Happy hunting

Thanks for the advice, the 27.5 and 29 cost the same at Cyclelab. One thing I keep reading is the 29" is not very agile with tight cornering, is it really that much worse? Miss the days when you only had one option for wheel size :(

Dont believe everything you read

You get hond 26'er, 27.5 and 29ers

You get awesome 26'er, 27.5 and 29ers.

That video assumes that people ride like sacks of potatoes and is designed as a marketing tool. IMO decent geometry and suspension outweigh the wheel size in performance terms. Pyga swear by 29ers - (faster everywhere, they say) others disagree. A friend who is a good rider loved his niner (Spaz stumpy) but it had its limitations on technical terrain and switchbacks and he would have bought a 27.5 if they had been available when he was shopping. Confused? We all are :-)

I moved from a 26er to a 29er and struggled for a while to get used to the bigger wheels in tight corners and switchbacks. I'm 1.86 and a friend of mine is 1.85, I ride a 29er he rides a 27.5. It all depends on your preference and riding style. A 27.5 might have suited my aggressive style a bit better, but the 29er rolls like a mutha and on a flat it runs like a cheetah on tik.

My advise/ 2 cents worth- test both if you can and select the one that fits you best. There is a lot of opinions and technical stuff doing the rounds and I was so caught up in it I couldn't make up my mind. Bring it back to basics, get on it and ride it... if you like it buy it, if you don't... don't buy it ^_^

That video assumes that people ride like sacks of potatoes and is designed as a marketing tool. IMO decent geometry and suspension outweigh the wheel size in performance terms. Pyga swear by 29ers - (faster everywhere, they say) others disagree. A friend who is a good rider loved his niner (Spaz stumpy) but it had its limitations on technical terrain and switchbacks and he would have bought a 27.5 if they had been available when he was shopping. Confused? We all are :-)

Indeed. As Rouxtjie said before, you get *** bikes, of all sizes...

Test both and buy what feels right for you. There is no wrong or right answer here. The differences between the two will be negligible.

The benefit you get from upgrading from a 26" to a 650b is negligible.

Rather upgrade to the 29" where the benefit will be far greater.

Ok, so I rode both and the 29er feels like a tank, so going to go with the 27.5. Thanks for all the advice.

Ok, so I rode both and the 29er feels like a tank, so going to go with the 27.5. Thanks for all the advice.

Ride what you feel more comfortable with! And if you feel that is the 27.5, then go with that.