Tubeless De-Rimming: How to Fix On Trail

Shepherd

Hi Everyone,

Hope you can shed some light on this for me.

I recently converted to Tubeless on my 2014 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp (Carbon) which is all stock standard.

However over the weekend was riding with a group and someones tubeless tired had burped when she hit a big water pipe in the sugar cane which fully deflated her tired and the bead came off the side wall.

I wasn't there at first but they tried to bomb it and inflate tire but could not reseal it to the rim and was forced to put a tube in.

Is there a special tricks to when that happens to get it sealed back up or is the only way to put a tube in?

Kind Regards,

Tim

The best trick I have found was investing in a set of Mavic 2bliss wheels.....no problem on the trail.seats instantly with a bomb and a bang

Only tubes I buy are for my road bike

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My best advice is once you get back from the ride, visit said LBS and purchase a proper UST/Tubeless wheelset and some UST tyres. Never burp again. Never struggle to get tyre to seat again.

My ZTR rims and Schwalbe Snakeskin/Maxxis LUST tyres have never given me a second's issue in almost 2 years of having them.

My best advice is once you get back from the ride, visit said LBS and purchase a proper UST/Tubeless wheelset and some UST tyres. Never burp again. Never struggle to get tyre to seat again.

My ZTR rims and Schwalbe Snakeskin/Maxxis LUST tyres have never given me a second's issue in almost 2 years of having them.

Neither of those are UST brother....just saying

Tube it. By far the method least likely to induce bouts of Tourettes. When you get home, clean out all the dirt and crap that was stopping the bead from sealing properly with the first 14 bombs, refill sealant and pump it up with a compressor / car tyre / local petrol station's air hose.

Trailside tubeless conversions are going to waste good riding time in 90% of cases.

Tube it. By far the method least likely to induce bouts of Tourettes. When you get home, clean out all the dirt and crap that was stopping the bead from sealing properly with the first 14 bombs, refill sealant and pump it up with a compressor / car tyre / local petrol station's air hose.

Trailside tubeless conversions are going to waste good riding time in 90% of cases.

Whaaaaa haaaa classic comment :clap: :clap:

haha!!

Thanks guys... Just been reading some other tubeless threads...

Tubeless seems like a mission, glad my LBS did my first conversion for me, will need to learn though!!

Hope everyone has some good riding this week!!

Cheers

tubeless is no mission at all!! Once you are familiar with it and how it works etc.

the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages (if there are any)

when tyre has come off on trail...cuss and forget about trying to put back on without lots of stress and more cussing!! (besides potetially using up ALL of the groups bombs!!) That is why you carry an extra tube with you...cut your losses and fit tube right away...it's a 4:40min job... :drool:

PS: in my many years of riding - only happened once when i was too dflated and pretending that i'm a weigh weenie in the corners...learned my lesson after that...

Neither of those are UST brother....just saying

Ag ja I know man..... :whistling:

All I'm saying is get proper tubeless kit to start with. You know?

Ag ja I know man..... :whistling:

All I'm saying is get proper tubeless kit to start with. You know?

:thumbup:

I will be honest and say that the UST stuff although bulletproof are too heavy for me(flamesuite on). I try and find a balance between weight and performance.

The butterzone is actually what you mentioned...crests with TR tyres like snakeskins

Deffos...conversions bring out the worst in everyone.

Yep. I know my conversion (using WTB Weirwolf on a Spank Subrosa) cost me 2 crowbar tire levers and at least 75% of my sense of humour balance.

And if you don't have a spare tube and cant re-seat the tire,

try packing grass into the tyre and ride it home carefully like that.

Sure beats pushing the bike.

I don't really have room for a spare tube now on the bike and dont like to tape it to the bike...

A. its carbon and duck tape makes it look ugly.

Not as ugly as someone pushing their bike home... Just saying.

I have a small plastic pipe about 2cm long that I cut off a breather hose for an off road bike petrol cap. If you are near a petrol station, it works like a bomb. Literally. Just slip the pipe over the valve and presto. You can now use the garage's compressor.

Hi Guys,

Again thanks for all the input, a few things certainly got the old thinker going!!!

My rims are:

Roval 29, alloy disc, 26mm wide, 32h

and Tires are:

Front: S-Works Fast Trak, 2Bliss Ready, 29x2.0", foldable aramid bead, 120 TPI

Back: Specialized Fast Trak Control, 2Bliss Ready, 29x2.0", foldable aramid bead, 60 TPI

Everything Tubeless Ready.

What are UST?

I know when I was changing tubes left right and center because of thorns (which is why I went tubeless in the first place) I needed to use some soapy water to get the bead to sit in nicely...

I have not had issues, knock on wood, but asked the questions as until this weekend and it happening to this lady I was not even thinking of that problem... so now I have an idea of how to solve it...

I do think the problem with her tire was it was too low on air and thus burped easily...

From my understanding its also very important to check pressures very regularly before riding to ensure its all setup properly.