illegal riders on our Trails-Avainto

Richard Beswick

I'm curious as to whether any fences are jumped to access these trails? Property needs to be cleary demarkated to enforce any trespassing laws..... this doesnt mean I'm one of them, however its a well ridden area for all cyclists, and i know there are plenty routes/single track sections that run through the surrounding areas. If someone does knowingly access your property by going over a fence or through a gate, then there can be no debate... if not well then its always going to be difficult to enforce

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

or knowing go through a gap in a fence, even if fence is broken, we can see there is a fence, there is a break... going through, we're not stupid adults... we know 90% of the time we in the wrong.

I would say though, no one can be taken to cop shop if they have fixed the arm band thing 100000%.

G

I'm curious as to whether any fences are jumped to access these trails? Property needs to be cleary demarkated to enforce any trespassing laws..... this doesnt mean I'm one of them, however its a well ridden area for all cyclists, and i know there are plenty routes/single track sections that run through the surrounding areas. If someone does knowingly access your property by going over a fence or through a gate, then there can be no debate... if not well then its always going to be difficult to enforce

I beg to differ. If the trail centre is going to enforce the no pay no ride policy and police that with trail bands then they need to ensure that the trail bands are available from when the trails open right up until when the last rider is allowed in.

You can't threaten to arrest someone for riding illegally if you are not in a position to even get the basics right.

Apologies to Richard if I have this wrong but I am commenting on the post above. The bands and payment facility needs to be available from opening to closing. If you are caught on the trail without a band then your ass should be thrown in jail for trespassing on private land. There are plenty parks and facilities that battle with this. Giba is one. Too many entry and exit points to properly police. Transgressors need to be made an example of though. If you are caught riding anywhere that requires you to pay to ride and you choose not to (even if you are just "passing through" ) There should be consequences.

Hi guys, im not sure what happened on the weekend, i'll look into it, but we always have back up bands at main Avianto reception which is 600m away from the clubhouse and is open 24hrs. We are probably the only park that can take payments, by card, cash etc 24hrs a day. It is not fool proof but we always have the back up and my number is on the trail boards at the start.

or knowing go through a gap in a fence, even if fence is broken, we can see there is a fence, there is a break... going through, we're not stupid adults... we know 90% of the time we in the wrong.

I would say though, no one can be taken to cop shop if they have fixed the arm band thing 100000%.

G

Especially if the trails are marked, maintained and there are lots of signs saying you have to pay to use them and there is a 24hr place to purchase trail bands. If guys don't want to pay there will always be some excuse as why they feel it is their right to use the trails for free.

I would definitely support a monthly/annual pass if it would allow me to ride real early etc.

Yes we are in the process of putting into place, we have a new sponosr coming on board which is allowing us to open up more trails so a multi use card is on the cards as well. You can always buy and extra band for another day for the meantime if you don't want to pass reception just be sure to put the date on it that you ride.

Why put the date on, we might wanna ride on a day, put the date on the band and then get stuck with family commitments,

Just have the person have the band, on leaving the band needs to be handed in,

(That way he/rider has band with them during ride, and hand in in departure thus not used a 2nd time, and no pre date required.

G

Yes we are in the process of putting into place, we have a new sponosr coming on board which is allowing us to open up more trails so a multi use card is on the cards as well. You can always buy and extra band for another day for the meantime if you don't want to pass reception just be sure to put the date on it that you ride.

I have a problem with the fact that I ride through the Avianto area towards the Waterworks and out onto Beyers.

I am now afraid that I will be arrested as I know for a fact that I use about a 200m stretch of your trails that are clearly marked to get to my destination and enjoy the riding of unmarked trails.

Please inform me of how I would go about avoiding a criminal record?

(Norm Hudlim in PE runs a similar system)

The new system is safer I suppose, but it's still like an honesty box except that now I can't get change if I only have a R50 in my wallet. I know i'm being pedantic......

we were riding there 2 weeks ago and there were guys who rode illegal and against the flow of the singletrack..so not only did they trespass but also made it very dangerous as we were approaching a downhill when they were going up.

When we told them they were going the wrong way, we had some very 'nice' comments back...IDIOTS

I beg to differ. If the trail centre is going to enforce the no pay no ride policy and police that with trail bands then they need to ensure that the trail bands are available from when the trails open right up until when the last rider is allowed in.

You can't threaten to arrest someone for riding illegally if you are not in a position to even get the basics right.

Apologies to Richard if I have this wrong but I am commenting on the post above. The bands and payment facility needs to be available from opening to closing. If you are caught on the trail without a band then your ass should be thrown in jail for trespassing on private land. There are plenty parks and facilities that battle with this. Giba is one. Too many entry and exit points to properly police. Transgressors need to be made an example of though. If you are caught riding anywhere that requires you to pay to ride and you choose not to (even if you are just "passing through" ) There should be consequences.

Somebody I know does this at Giba - makes my flipping blood boil. They drop in at the Shongweni Dam side by the quarry. No matter how much I say its not cool it falls on deaf ears.

I have a problem with the fact that I ride through the Avianto area towards the Waterworks and out onto Beyers.

I am now afraid that I will be arrested as I know for a fact that I use about a 200m stretch of your trails that are clearly marked to get to my destination and enjoy the riding of unmarked trails.

Please inform me of how I would go about avoiding a criminal record?

Pay!!

We often ride down through the back entrance of Avianto then cross the wooden bridge then out the main entrance. Are We meant to pay? Its not like we are riding on any trails

Somebody I know does this at Giba - makes my flipping blood boil. They drop in at the Shongweni Dam side by the quarry. No matter how much I say its not cool it falls on deaf ears.

I hear you. Some guys I know and I believe that there are a LOT that do the same, meet at Oscars and ride down into Giba either from the St Hellier's side or they come in near the Blue route Gravity Dice or further along near the Quarry.

I reckon if you wheels touch the dirt irrespective of how long or how far it is, you need to pay the fees or find a way around.

Robinh, tell your mate that on the Marrianhill side of Giba there are some hectic gnarly trails that are free to use. they can drop in just after the quarry near Zorg's and instead of going left, head right, LOTS of trails cutting across the river out towards the monastery and towards Richmond road. You share them with dirt bikes as well so be careful.

If they are into the technical stuff, these are really fun to ride. Just be careful!

Remind me of what it was like before bike parks :thumbup:

Pay!!

My piece of trail in question is marked in RED, the yellow breakers mark the PUBLIC road I use running next to Avianto.

You can quite clearly see the Avianto trails running both sides of my trail.

Richard where do I stand?

post-10742-0-79392400-1390834394_thumb.jpg

I've just been explaining to my Agricultural Manager of gardens about the predicament I am in when riding my bike and he has found a reasonable solution to our problem.

Please see image attached

post-10742-0-42180700-1390834982_thumb.jpg

For the okes who don't understand such a basic principle...this example should be easier to understand...would it be okay for your neighbour to walk through your property to get to their house just because it might be a shorter distance or otherwise more convenient...probably not...so if you use even a little stretch of the trail, you should pay. Maybe think of the fee as a fee to access the property rather than just the trails...and then it just so happens that that money goes toward maintaining the bike trails.