Magalies Monster 2014

Dirt De Vil

I entered for this year's Monster, will be my first one. I realised after reading the posts on the 2013 Monster that I will have to put in a serious amount of training. Is the route open for training during the year? I have trained on Breedts Nek before, but would like to train on the actual Monster climb as well.

• Replies 766
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I entered for this year's Monster, will be my first one. I realised after reading the posts on the 2013 Monster that I will have to put in a serious amount of training. Is the route open for training during the year? I have trained on Breedts Nek before, but would like to train on the actual Monster climb as well.

Don't think it is, pvt land....but breedts should serve you well. the monster climb is just more rockier...go to vg as well and do some of its climbs...same sort of thing

70 or 40?

80km as per website entry page

I think my MTB skills and ability will be about average. I completed the Transbaviaans in 13:19 with a 26'er :thumbup: , so I will survive - I think. Would just like to get an idea of whats coming.

Don't think it is, pvt land....but breedts should serve you well. the monster climb is just more rockier...go to vg as well and do some of its climbs...same sort of thing

70 or 40?

I think my MTB skills and ability will be about average. I completed the Transbaviaans in 13:19 with a 26'er :thumbup: , so I will survive - I think. Would just like to get an idea of whats coming.

Its an awesome race...probably my favourite local one. Its tough but doesnt absolutely destroy you.

That long climb up to the apex of the ridge is not that bad, and ridable. The shorter one in the MSP is the rough one with loose rocks and not much room to ride, and the descent there, faceplant city!

But a great ride. One of our best.

There are two climbs in the first half of the race, Mountain Sanctuary (fairly rocky and technical) and then the monster climb which is smoother and relatively straight forward. I find the second half of the race takes it out of you, the red sand jeep tracks and up and down rocky koppies. Save plenty for the second half otherwise it can get very long.. :thumbup:

That long climb up to the apex of the ridge is not that bad, and ridable. The shorter one in the MSP is the rough one with loose rocks and not much room to ride, and the descent there, faceplant city!

But a great ride. One of our best.

Yes...that one bites me time and time again...the monster itself is ok....its all the matches you burn in the MSP that hurts.

Yes...that one bites me time and time again...the monster itself is ok....its all the matches you burn in the MSP that hurts.

And that sand is a real swine after coming down the pass...as well as the few extra hills that are chucked in for good measure!

To be honest I prefer the 70km ride! Once you reach the 40/70km split then it seems as though the pace eases off and you can actually enjoy the ride. I am not a fan of that section in MSP, it just becomes a chain of people pushing bikes.

Have done it twice now and is planning to do it again this year, actually flying up to do it. One of my favourite races, although I have to add probably one of the toughest non stage/ single day events I have done up to date.

There is a bunch of places near Rustenburg as well where you can practice the climbing. My advice... climb and climb some more and you will have a ball. Didn't prepare as well for last year's as I would have liked and believe me I knew it almost 3rd's through. If you are used to climbing on rocky terrain you should be fine. This is usually where most people unfortunately get off and start pushing which might result in some irritation but other than that... probably the best race close to Gauteng that I have ever done.

I did it two years ago and was unprepared. Took me a long time and broke me. If you are fit enough and have semi-decent skill level you should be fine. I did it last on a 26er HT.

29er HT this year for me though, so hoping for a little easier ride.

Go for it, it's fun.

I did it two years ago and was unprepared. Took me a long time and broke me. If you are fit enough and have semi-decent skill level you should be fine. I did it last on a 26er HT.

29er HT this year for me though, so hoping for a little easier ride.

Go for it, it's fun.

You did it last year too, i even saw in the results. Flipped slow bud, flippen slow. 5h30. tsk tsk.

You did it last year too, i even saw in the results. Flipped slow bud, flippen slow. 5h30. tsk tsk.

lols, you're right, but I wasn't quite feeling myself. Where's my email?

lols, you're right, but I wasn't quite feeling myself. Where's my email?

I'm waiting for some more Sappi plantations to be cut down for printing purposes.

This is one of those races that if you don't train enough it can become very unpleasant towards the end.

Cool at the start but gets nice and warm towards the end.

The last climb had me loosing my sense of humor, and the babe in front of me was using choice words to express her opinion!

Flirting with entering again for the long one, but with the family about to get bigger I have my doubts about getting enough hours in to make a enjoyable experiance.

And no, I cant just do it for the fun of it