Best App for cyclists in SA

TheTijn

I started out with Endomondo. Then for a while I used both Endomondo & Strava. Now I cant even remember the last time I logged something on Endomondo.

Do you find battery usage the same on both? I found Endomondo to be much lighter

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What they said - Strava ...

Used Endomondo for a while when doing long day rides - my SO could keep track on where I was. But now they've ditched Live Tracking, it's gone from my phone. Trying out something called LocaToWeb when I need live tracking. Chows battery nicely, but all live trackers do - no worse than most. Used about 75% of my battery on an 8 hr ride last Saturday, so phone was not dead at end which was a bonus. Usually expect it to die in the latter stages.

Edited by walkerr

Right, so Strava... downloading now :D

wow you guys are fast, nice to hear there is a consensus.

Step 1...download app...check

Step 2...search for segments close to you...put on your eye of the tiger face and go and give it horns.

Step 3...check where you place and think up some plan to get that KOM

i was always on Training camp because I jsut wanted to track my ride and plot the routes to check it out later. Now im using endomondo. I guess they all track and plot routes in the end.

But does anyone know what to use so that I can have it running on my phone and then someone can sit behind a pc and see where I am etc? I know there is something like that but cannot remember what it is

i was always on Training camp because I jsut wanted to track my ride and plot the routes to check it out later. Now im using endomondo. I guess they all track and plot routes in the end.

But does anyone know what to use so that I can have it running on my phone and then someone can sit behind a pc and see where I am etc? I know there is something like that but cannot remember what it is

See above - trying out LocaToWeb for this at present. Only been using for a week, but seems ok so far

See above - trying out LocaToWeb for this at present. Only been using for a week, but seems ok so far

I see its R10.56, anything free that works?

I see its R10.56, anything free that works?

I did quite a search for free apps - there are a few. Most get quite mixed reviiews though, some downright bad reviews almost bordering on malware.

The other thing for me is how easy it is for the person at home to pull up the map. I'm a techie and can work with pretty much anything, but it's not much use if my SO at the other end gets something cryptic or difficult to use.

What I liked about this one is when I hit Start on a route it sends her an email with a URL in it that takes her straight to the map. The Map even shows photos I take on way (ok, not a big deal really but nice), but what is handy is it shows my battery level - so she knows if I drop off that it was low battery. Another nice thing was you can set the update frequency low for long rides. Not really sure how effective this is yet, but it seemed to survive a decent time at least as long as Endo used to and possibly longer

You get what you pay for I guess. If you find a good free one drop me a message. Always on the look out

Do you find battery usage the same on both? I found Endomondo to be much lighter

Don't know, switched from a phone to Garmin before I started to use Strava. If Endomondo is lighter on the battery you can always use Endomondo for the tracking and copy the .gpx file to strava to check out the stats.

If you have the bucks - the latest Garmins (510/810) will track you and send the GPS points to your phone to put online. Saves phone battery because the phone is only doing comms, Garmin is doing GPS.