Non greeters club

Madlight

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Went out for a early morning ride. So planned my route too stay on the dark stuff as time wasn't in my favour. Don't usually ride in the morning but have plans after work tonight so I had ride early. A lot of people out so early in the morning runners, mountain bikers, walkers, roadies. I went on my merry way, pushing myself up the hills and on the flat roads. Greeting everybody on my way "Morning :clap: " and they greeted back. But these two roadies just looked at me ( I even think the one might have even growled a little :cursing: ) not a peep, nada, zilch, nothing and just carried on and no they were not ridding at a top speed, there was no traffic or anything. Is it that hard to just greet :clap: .

Oh well just my rant for the day.

Kumbaya.....

The old 'morning' is a strange one. The nod is less loaded.

A 'morning' can be a cheery 'hello', a thinly veiled F***k**u or a 'look tiny unfit person, i'm peddling past you when you thought you were all alone on this hill and no one could see your pathetic cadence just about dragging you to the top. Right now with this 'morning' I'm reminding you of every beer you drank, every early session you missed, every time you unhitched and didn't fight back.... I am doing exactly what you thought you were doing until I just 'morning'd you and shattered that little dream. Actually a snarling gruff, honest, HTFU would have been more humane, as you struggle to not be surprised by my passing speed and attempt to throw back a casual reply that doesn't belay the pain and suffering you're going through but really it sounds like the final words of a 50 a day smoker to his priest... 'm-o-r-n'... and off I pedal, too slow. Morning!'

A 'morning' can be a cheery 'hello', a thinly veiled F***k**u or a 'look tiny unfit person, i'm peddling past you when you thought you were all alone on this hill and no one could see your pathetic cadence just about dragging you to the top. Right now with this 'morning' I'm reminding you of every beer you drank, every early session you missed, every time you unhitched and didn't fight back.... I am doing exactly what you thought you were doing until I just 'morning'd you and shattered that little dream. Actually a snarling gruff, honest, HTFU would have been more humane, as you struggle to not be surprised by my passing speed and attempt to throw back a casual reply that doesn't belay the pain and suffering you're going through but really it sounds like the final words of a 50 a day smoker to his priest... 'm-o-r-n'... and off I pedal, too slow. Morning!'

Brilliant post

Nothing like casually passing a struggler up a climb to boost the fragile ego! (Especially if you had your ass kicked on the climbs by the real racing snakes at the funride the weekend before)

I would usually just give a casual wave as I pass and imagine the middle finger pointed at my back as I gloat inside :devil:

Brilliant post

Nothing like casually passing a struggler up a climb to boost the fragile ego! (Especially if you had your ass kicked on the climbs by the real racing snakes at the funride the weekend before)

I would usually just give a casual wave as I pass and imagine the middle finger pointed at my back as I gloat inside :devil:

I will try and remember that if I ever get to the stage of being able to pass anyone going up a hill.

Funny, we don't have this problem in JHB. I get waves back from about 80% of the riders I wave hello to.

So why's the avatar a pic of your husband?

HA HA HA... happened to me up Suikerbossie a couple of weekends ago... feeling like a million dollars reeling in scores of stragglers up the hill when suddenly this legend passes me with a little "morning" and try as I might I just couldn't catch him...

Mototcyclists in South Africa generally wave or give an incline of the head.

When i went touring in Germany. Nothing, not a wave a nod. Nothing.

When i questioned a couple of locals about that they told me they were too busy concentrating on riding their bikes correctly to worry about greeting a stranger.

Once i forgot about greeting, or being greeted or why that sob didn't greet me back I had a much better time riding without that particular mental clutter. I don't initiate greets anymore, i don't worry about being greeted anymore, but if someone makes the effort i will reciprocate.

HA HA HA... happened to me up Suikerbossie a couple of weekends ago... feeling like a million dollars reeling in scores of stragglers up the hill when suddenly this legend passes me with a little "morning" and try as I might I just couldn't catch him...

On the flipside, also a bit embarrassing if you casually cruise by a straggler suffering up a hill. Only to realise 3/4's up the hill the bastard is now grimly clinging to your back wheel refusing to get dropped. That's usually when I break personal records on Strava, no way that the guy will still be with me when I get to the top!

That's usually when I break personal records on Strava, no way that the guy will still be with me when I get to the top!

... or when go down. Or when I go up the other side. Or go down that one as well. Or when I've finished hiding from him in the coffee shop toilet. ;)